Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times

Advertisements

"We studied the molecules (DNA) and the morphology, both internal and external, to identify the species," he told BBC News.

When the analysis was complete, the researchers found they had not only a new species on their hands, but the first representative of a hitherto unknown family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 12:23 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
I enjoyed the article. Actually when I was a kid I loved to read about reptiles and amphibians, and I tried to catch any that I could find outside, much to the dismay of my family. I knew what caecilians were, so it was cool to real an article about them.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:27 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
That's cool! It's nice that we are still making new discoveries like this in the world.

The amphibians might look a bit creepy or wormy-looking for those that are scared of worms/snakes though.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
New species of frogs are being discovered by the dozen in India, mostly in vanishing habitats:

Dozen New Tree Frogs Discovered In Rapidly Vanishing Habitat In India

India has about twice as many known species of amphibians as North America.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-23-2012 at 10:18 AM..

Old 02-23-2012, 05:02 PM

It would be nice if we could preserve a bunch of these fauna and flora before they disappear.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:17 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
It would be nice if we could preserve a bunch of these fauna and flora before they disappear.
Why? A million years from now, after the planet has rid itself of Humans, the biosphere will be nicely speciated, with every niche filled with successful and functioning organisms, some with cute big-eyed babies (see Neoteny). Most will be quite different from those species that exist today. No impartial observer of the planet then will even suspect that anything had ever gone so horribly wrong.

Preserving species is a luxury, that is the first to be jettisoned when faced with competitive priorities. Imagine an endangered snail in the Euphrates. Do you think Operation Desert Storm or Shock And Awe would have worked around it to preserve its habitat? Do the Sudanese care if the firewood they cook with is from an endangered species of tree?

The reason they are endangered today is because they have a virtually zero chance of survival in the present world, no matter what humans do to preserve them for a decade or two. They have simply failed to evolve their own survival strategy in the face of the competition.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:39 AM

Hmm, well you have a point. Still, there could be some utility in many of these critters, finding and killing invasive species. Hopefully, they, themselves, don't end up being invasive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology