Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 04:54 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,600,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I do not remember if I posted it or not but I did read about it. This is way cool and this is still 2014 why by the 2020's life expectancy will no longer be a metric we use anymore.
Even if it keeps the heart pumping forever, would the other organs in the body still not deteriorate? Also, I did more research and it seems that nanobots the size of cells is not as far fetched as you claimed. They have actually developed small very primitive prototype versions, though they still seem a long way from what you invision. What's more advanced is using nano particles to carry medicine though I wouldn't call those particles computers as they're simply small containers that have to be injected at the precise location to prevent them from going where they're not supposed too ( some might be viruses or bacteria).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 06:06 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,411,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Even if it keeps the heart pumping forever, would the other organs in the body still not deteriorate?

Yes but this is not the only advancement being made. I keep reading more about stem cell and 3D Printers.

Here is one example I happen to see today:

Scientists have succeeded in regenerating a living organ for the first time. Researchers rebuilt the thymus -- an organ in the body located next to the heart that produces important immune cells. The advance could pave the way for new therapies for people with damaged immune systems and genetic conditions that affect thymus development. The team reactivated a natural mechanism that shuts down with age to rejuvenate the thymus in very old mice. After treatment, the regenerated organ had a similar structure to that found in a young mouse.

The link: Living organ regenerated for first time: Thymus rebuilt in mice -- ScienceDaily

Quote:
Also, I did more research and it seems that nanobots the size of cells is not as far fetched as you claimed. They have actually developed small very primitive prototype versions, though they still seem a long way from what you invision. What's more advanced is using nano particles to carry medicine though I wouldn't call those particles computers as they're simply small containers that have to be injected at the precise location to prevent them from going where they're not supposed too ( some might be viruses or bacteria).
It might seem like a long way away but this technology advances exponentially as well. That is why the nano tech revaluation will start in the mid to late 2020's and really impact us in the 2030's.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Yes but this is not the only advancement being made. I keep reading more about stem cell and 3D Printers.

Here is one example I happen to see today:

Scientists have succeeded in regenerating a living organ for the first time. Researchers rebuilt the thymus -- an organ in the body located next to the heart that produces important immune cells. The advance could pave the way for new therapies for people with damaged immune systems and genetic conditions that affect thymus development. The team reactivated a natural mechanism that shuts down with age to rejuvenate the thymus in very old mice. After treatment, the regenerated organ had a similar structure to that found in a young mouse.

The link: Living organ regenerated for first time: Thymus rebuilt in mice -- ScienceDaily

It might seem like a long way away but this technology advances exponentially as well. That is why the nano tech revaluation will start in the mid to late 2020's and really impact us in the 2030's.
We'll 2030s is more credible, which is not what you originally stated.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
We'll 2030s is more credible, which is not what you originally stated.
I think I have been pretty consistent on it. That by 2030 a computer the size of a blood cell will be thousands of times more powerful then the smart phones today. So it will kind of start in the late 2020's but really get going in the 2030's.

However I have read something tonight on Facebook that is causing me to wonder if I am too pessimistic on my singularity time line.

I will not post it all but look at this one thing one of the guys said:

we have about 5 to 6 years before that exponential monster really kicks in.Its getting warmed up right now but in 2020 technology will be doubling in very small amounts of time.I heard every 30 seconds...we'll see.Stuff coming out of these R & D labs right now are mind blowing.

I think this transcend program is alright bit you won't really need it. Medical technology in early 2020's will be advanced enough to eradicate most ailments. ..that alone will increase your longevity.

Follow the exponential trend.Knowledge and technology has been compounding in shorter increments of time for decades.Ray Kurzweil has referred to this many times.(And the whole Moores law "wall" in 2017 will be transcended by the next paradigm.quantum computing).Now the 30 second thing I mentioned earlier is off..that refers to when we get closer to the singularity.The year 2020 however knowledge will be doubled faster than today.They estimate around every 12 hours.And that was an IBM projection.With the internet of everything in full swing that will probably be about right.This explosion of knowledge will be so disruptive no area will be left unscathed.Medical science included.I see most major medical conditions removed or have very successful treatments available.Areas I would look at.3-d printing of organs.....regenerative medicine...autonomous systems(robots) used in operating rooms....increased accuracy of diagnosis...hospital bacterial infections eliminated....post vaccination medicine using nanotech as a replacement and next gen wearable computing merging with body parts.As you can see we have a LOT going on in the next 7 years.Buckle up is right...Between all of the journals and blogs and releases I see on a daily basis...the stuff being discovered right now is mind blowing.

The key to this is quantum computers and I do know that once we get them they will go very fast much faster then the current Moore's law. In fact I read in one article that in 3 generations they caught up with over 110 years of traditional computers. Think about that.

Here is a article they posted on it:

One approach to make qubits for quantum computing relies on the creation of two single photons that interfere with one another in a device called a waveguide. Results from a recent applied science study support the idea that waveguides coupled with another quantum particle -- the surface plasmon -- could also become an important piece of the quantum computing puzzle.

The link: Quantum computing: Quantum photon properties revealed in another particle -- the plasmon -- ScienceDaily

I will be honest I posted this because I know enough about quantum computers to know there is something to this and what they posted but I need to sleep on it and think about it myself. I feel like I did the first time I heard Ray Kurzweil talk about the singularity in 2008. Blown away yet I knew about about the concepts that intrigued me so I looked into it more. I will look into this more.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I think I have been pretty consistent on it. That by 2030 a computer the size of a blood cell will be thousands of times more powerful then the smart phones today. So it will kind of start in the late 2020's but really get going in the 2030's.

However I have read something tonight on Facebook that is causing me to wonder if I am too pessimistic on my singularity time line.

I will not post it all but look at this one thing one of the guys said:

we have about 5 to 6 years before that exponential monster really kicks in.Its getting warmed up right now but in 2020 technology will be doubling in very small amounts of time.I heard every 30 seconds...we'll see.Stuff coming out of these R & D labs right now are mind blowing.

I think this transcend program is alright bit you won't really need it. Medical technology in early 2020's will be advanced enough to eradicate most ailments. ..that alone will increase your longevity.

Follow the exponential trend.Knowledge and technology has been compounding in shorter increments of time for decades.Ray Kurzweil has referred to this many times.(And the whole Moores law "wall" in 2017 will be transcended by the next paradigm.quantum computing).Now the 30 second thing I mentioned earlier is off..that refers to when we get closer to the singularity.The year 2020 however knowledge will be doubled faster than today.They estimate around every 12 hours.And that was an IBM projection.With the internet of everything in full swing that will probably be about right.This explosion of knowledge will be so disruptive no area will be left unscathed.Medical science included.I see most major medical conditions removed or have very successful treatments available.Areas I would look at.3-d printing of organs.....regenerative medicine...autonomous systems(robots) used in operating rooms....increased accuracy of diagnosis...hospital bacterial infections eliminated....post vaccination medicine using nanotech as a replacement and next gen wearable computing merging with body parts.As you can see we have a LOT going on in the next 7 years.Buckle up is right...Between all of the journals and blogs and releases I see on a daily basis...the stuff being discovered right now is mind blowing.

The key to this is quantum computers and I do know that once we get them they will go very fast much faster then the current Moore's law. In fact I read in one article that in 3 generations they caught up with over 110 years of traditional computers. Think about that.

Here is a article they posted on it:

One approach to make qubits for quantum computing relies on the creation of two single photons that interfere with one another in a device called a waveguide. Results from a recent applied science study support the idea that waveguides coupled with another quantum particle -- the surface plasmon -- could also become an important piece of the quantum computing puzzle.

The link: Quantum computing: Quantum photon properties revealed in another particle -- the plasmon -- ScienceDaily

I will be honest I posted this because I know enough about quantum computers to know there is something to this and what they posted but I need to sleep on it and think about it myself. I feel like I did the first time I heard Ray Kurzweil talk about the singularity in 2008. Blown away yet I knew about about the concepts that intrigued me so I looked into it more. I will look into this more.
That is interesting, on NASA website they did mention this:

"As such, quantum computers may theoretically be able to solve certain problems in a few days that would take millions of years on a classical compute"

Although, I was a bit confused with their prototype quantum computer processor it seems that it must be kept at a temperature that's near -459 F does that mean they have serious heating issues?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
That is interesting, on NASA website they did mention this:

"As such, quantum computers may theoretically be able to solve certain problems in a few days that would take millions of years on a classical compute"

Although, I was a bit confused with their prototype quantum computer processor it seems that it must be kept at a temperature that's near -459 F does that mean they have serious heating issues?
That does seem to be the case.

Here is the article:

For years astronomers have believed that the coldest place in the universe is a massive gas cloud 5,000 light-years from Earth called the Boomerang Nebula, where the temperature hovers at around –458°F, just a whisker above absolute zero. But as it turns out, the scientists have been off by about 5,000 lightyears. The coldest place in the universe is actually in a small city directly east of Vancouver called Burnaby. Burnaby is the headquarters of a computer firm called D-Wave. Its flagship product, the D-Wave Two, of which there are five in existence, is a black box 10 ft. high. Inside is a cylindrical cooling apparatus containing a niobium computer chip that’s been chilled to –459.6°F, almost 2° colder than the Boomerang Nebula.

The Quantum Quest for a Revolutionary Computer - TIME

After some thought I think I understand it. Here is it in a nut shell:

By 2017 quantum computers, like the one I read about in Time Magazine, will start to take over essentially a new paradigm. That will completely shatter Moore's law causing advancements in computers much faster then ever in history of computing. That makes sense given the fact the current quantum computers have already caught up to traditional computers in only 3 generations. Then by 2020 watch out the entire knowledge of the human race will be doubling every 12 hours impacting everything from biology, genetics, 3D printers, nanotechnology etc.

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-09-2014 at 11:35 AM..

Old 04-09-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
That does seem to be the case.

Here is the article:

For years astronomers have believed that the coldest place in the universe is a massive gas cloud 5,000 light-years from Earth called the Boomerang Nebula, where the temperature hovers at around –458°F, just a whisker above absolute zero. But as it turns out, the scientists have been off by about 5,000 lightyears. The coldest place in the universe is actually in a small city directly east of Vancouver called Burnaby. Burnaby is the headquarters of a computer firm called D-Wave. Its flagship product, the D-Wave Two, of which there are five in existence, is a black box 10 ft. high. Inside is a cylindrical cooling apparatus containing a niobium computer chip that’s been chilled to –459.6°F, almost 2° colder than the Boomerang Nebula.

The Quantum Quest for a Revolutionary Computer - TIME

After some thought I think I understand it. Here is it in a nut shell:

By 2017 quantum computers, like the one I read about in Time Magazine, will start to take over essentially a new paradigm. That will completely shatter Moore's law causing advancements in computers much faster then ever in history of computing. That makes sense given the fact the current quantum computers have already caught up to traditional computers in only 3 generations. Then by 2020 watch out the entire knowledge of the human race will be doubling every 12 hours impacting everything from biology, genetics, 3D printers, nanotechnology etc.
Considering the processors must be kept at such low temperatures I don't see how they'll be applicable to being used on PC, cellphones much less nanotechnology for our bodies.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Considering the processors must be kept at such low temperatures I don't see how they'll be applicable to being used on PC, cellphones much less nanotechnology for our bodies.
I can't answer that. I need to re-read the Time article again.

In theory I understand where they are coming from though. If by 2017 the age of the quantum computer starts then I can see how by 2020 the entire knowledge of the human race will double every 12 hours as predicted.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:31 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,199,030 times
Cockroaches Injected With DNA Nanobots : Discovery News
Say thanks to the Cockroach

Old 04-09-2014, 03:41 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,199,030 times
Quote:
You wouldn't put a Quantum computer in your pc or cellphone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology