Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 06:01 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Immorality is economically unsustainable for most of the Earth inhabitants, and there's also the fact that your brain aging can't at the present be reversed and so limits the lifespan of an individual.

As things progress, I can see a small percentage of super rich becoming immortal gods and the rest of humanity becoming irrelevant and obsolete. Welcome to the great tomorrow.
If we were talking about today's technology not only would it be too expensive it would be impossible. That being said as we reach the 2020's and 2030's and 2040's and the age of abundance the technology will be there with reverse aging and merging with the tech (transhuman) and yes it will be expensive at first so only the worlds 1% can get it (most people in the first world nations) but the price will quickly come down so everyone on earth can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 09:09 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Immorality is economically unsustainable for most of the Earth inhabitants, and there's also the fact that your brain aging can't at the present be reversed and so limits the lifespan of an individual.

As things progress, I can see a small percentage of super rich becoming immortal gods and the rest of humanity becoming irrelevant and obsolete. Welcome to the great tomorrow.
That I agree with, it will be the super rich who can afford such tech. However, the masses would have access to implants that monitor people's health by 2035 (according to Houston's Texas Medical Center).

Overpopulation can be solved by colonizing other planets or moons, but NASA is so under funded it all seems like a distant dream.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post

Overpopulation can be solved by colonizing other planets or moons, but NASA is so under funded it all seems like a distant dream.
Overpopulation will not be a problem. In fact if you look today most first world nations have little or negative growth. So the key to dealing with growth is more technology not less.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:23 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Farms will be vetical skyscraper type deals in the relatively near future. And they'll be farmed by robots. There's plenty of room for more people if you can feed them all.

There will be severe growing pains once the shift from the industrial era to the abundance era really gets going. Unemployment is the big one.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:54 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,461 times
Quote:
Even if space agencies were funded to the realistic max, it would not be practical to try to lift enough people to escape velocity to make any significant dent in Earth's population. The energy used and pollution created would be enormous, even for just, say, 10,000 people, and 10,000 is just a drop in the bucket. For overpopulation, it wouldn't matter that you have livable environments off-world. It's the population on Earth that matters, and without some antigravity technology, you won't get many of them off. Lowering population growth is the only way, and tech (along with the sociological impact of tech) is probably the main option for doing that (but then there is the problem of increasing per/capita resource use).

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 07-02-2015 at 07:09 PM..

Old 07-03-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Even if space agencies were funded to the realistic max, it would not be practical to try to lift enough people to escape velocity to make any significant dent in Earth's population. The energy used and pollution created would be enormous, even for just, say, 10,000 people, and 10,000 is just a drop in the bucket. For overpopulation, it wouldn't matter that you have livable environments off-world. It's the population on Earth that matters, and without some antigravity technology, you won't get many of them off. Lowering population growth is the only way, and tech (along with the sociological impact of tech) is probably the main option for doing that (but then there is the problem of increasing per/capita resource use).
Well we're still a long way from achieving immortality and like I mentioned before it'll likely only be for the super rich. I mean I'm sure regular people will have access to stem cells, cloned tissues and nanobots that treat disease (which would extend their life), but the radical immortality tech will likely be for the elite only for quite some time. I know many of you harbor the belief that the singularity will make everyone equal, but considering how greedy we can be I highly doubt those in power will willingly give it up so easily.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Well we're still a long way from achieving immortality and like I mentioned before it'll likely only be for the super rich. I mean I'm sure regular people will have access to stem cells, cloned tissues and nanobots that treat disease (which would extend their life), but the radical immortality tech will likely be for the elite only for quite some time. I know many of you harbor the belief that the singularity will make everyone equal, but considering how greedy we can be I highly doubt those in power will willingly give it up so easily.
We are a lot closer then you think as life 2.0 or the biotech revolution starts in 5 years or in 2020. You can see all the advances they are making in the area by googling biotech breakthroughs. Its quite amazing and its nothing compared to the advances we will see in 5-15 years.

Last edited by Josseppie; 07-03-2015 at 06:27 PM..

Old 07-04-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
We are a lot closer then you think as life 2.0 or the biotech revolution starts in 5 years or in 2020. You can see all the advances they are making in the area by googling biotech breakthroughs. Its quite amazing and its nothing compared to the advances we will see in 5-15 years.
And I don't doubt that, but that extreme immortality tech I assume will go to the super rich, those who are not will get the tech to treat disease which will make them live longer, but not sure they'd have access to immortality like the elite would.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
And I don't doubt that, but that extreme immortality tech I assume will go to the super rich, those who are not will get the tech to treat disease which will make them live longer, but not sure they'd have access to immortality like the elite would.
It will be a bridge to a bridge to a bridge and while the worlds 1% will get it first, being in a first world we are ok, the cost will quickly drop to most everyone on the planet.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
It will be a bridge to a bridge to a bridge and while the worlds 1% will get it first, being in a first world we are ok, the cost will quickly drop to most everyone on the planet.
What makes you think the cost will go down quickly? Cars are just as expensive as they were 20 years ago, medications and medical procedures are still expensive even after decades. Why would a company or government want to make something like immortality available to everyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology