Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 05:21 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,439,194 times

Advertisements

I happen to find this today and it is a very good and detailed discussion on the singularity and transhumanism.

I know it is long but I think the information is has makes it worth the time to listen.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 AM

Exclamation Bringing a Virtual Brain to Life

In my opinion successfully reverse engineering the brain is a important step in reaching the singularity. From what I have read I think it will be done between 2019 and 2023.

This is from the New York Times:

He began to question the impact of his work. “I realized that I could write a high-profile research paper every year, but then what?” he said. “I die, and there’s going to be a column on my grave with a list of beautiful papers.” Dr. Markram decided he needed to change his approach. Experiments, he realized, were not enough. After hearing of a new I.B.M. supercomputer, he asked himself, What if each microchip of the supercomputer represented a neuron in the brain? You could run simulations to perform virtual experiments and, unlike in real experiments, watch every single “neuron” in action. “If I build in enough biological detail,” he reasoned, “it would behave like a real brain.”

The link: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/19/sc...ref=technology

Old 03-21-2013, 06:41 PM

One of the things that will happen when the singularity hits us is computers will teach themselves faster then we can teach them. Will that is starting now.

This is from Wired:

The Pentagon’s blue-sky research agency is readying a nearly four-year project to boost artificial intelligence systems by building machines that can teach themselves — while making it easier for ordinary schlubs like us to build them, too. When Darpa talks about artificial intelligence, it’s not talking about modeling computers after the human brain. That path fell out of favor among computer scientists years ago as a means of creating artificial intelligence; we’d have to understand our own brains first before building a working artificial version of one. But the agency thinks we can build machines that learn and evolve, using algorithms — “probabilistic programming” — to parse through vast amounts of data and select the best of it. After that, the machine learns to repeat the process and do it better. But building such machines remains really, really hard: The agency calls it “Herculean.” There are scarce development tools, which means “even a team of specially-trained machine learning experts makes only painfully slow progress.” So on April 10, Darpa is inviting scientists to a Virginia conference to brainstorm. What will follow are 46 months of development, along with annual “Summer Schools,” bringing in the scientists together with “potential customers” from the private sector and the government.

The link: So It Begins: Darpa Sets Out to Make Computers That Can Teach Themselves | Danger Room | Wired.com

Old 03-22-2013, 10:52 AM

Everything I have read says that the next paradigm is going to be 3D chips. In fact Intel will introduce the first 3D chip next year called tri-gate.

This is a news release on it:

Intel says we'll see the new technology first in its 22nm Ivy Bridge CPUs, going into mass production in the second half of the year, and it's planning 14nm chips in 2013 and 10nm chips in 2015. Also, 3D transistors won't be limited to the cutting edge -- Intel reps told journalists that they "will extend across the entire range of our product line," including mobile devices.

The link: Intel will mass produce 3D transistors for all future CPUs, starting with 22nm Ivy Bridge (video)

What I really like is the new technology that will come from it in the next decade. I happen to read this and thought it was great and a big step towards the singularity.

“The result will be ‘cognitive computing,’” says Ruiz—microchips powerful enough to mimic the cognitive processes of the brain. He says applications of artificial intelligence, like the voice recognition on modern smartphones, are rudimentary compared to what’s coming. One application would be a kind of “minder” that watches how you live your life and has access to your calendar, so that it can automatically alert friends when, for example, it’s clear you’ll be late for a meeting. The same technology could be used to shape our own behavior and achieve goals that are difficult when left to our limited capacity to plan and remember—everything from losing weight to learning a new language.

The link: How making microchips 3D could unleash an age of “cognitive computing” – Quartz

Old 03-27-2013, 09:51 AM

A sign of the singularity is being able to live for a very long time and we are well on our way to that goal. This is the latest example of how we are advancing.

Lund University researchers have succeeded in rejuvenating the blood of mice by reversing, or reprogramming, the stem cells that produce blood. Stem cells form the origin of all the cells in the body and can divide an unlimited number of times. When stem cells divide, one cell remains a stem cell and the other matures into the type of cell needed by the body, for example a blood cell.

The link: Rejuvenating blood by reprogramming stem cells | KurzweilAI

Old 03-31-2013, 02:56 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,690,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_natural View Post
For those of us who are aware about the ideas behind the Singularity, "transhumanism", post-scarcity, and how things could be rapidly converging to a point where things could likely become way better than anything we've ever imagined, why do you think the majority of our fellow human travelers have not even heard of or given thought about it yet? Would the world experience any changes if people became more aware of what may lead to happen, with sufficient collaborative effort?
My concern is the people outside of our planet and how our people will be towards them even if they pose no threat besides being technically more advanced then us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Because they are too busy paying bills, working, cleaning the house, taking their kids to soccer practice, looking for a remote control, waiting for the light to turn green, posting on City-Data, watching old reruns of Kung Fu, and brushing their teeth.
Charles is 100% correct. Most people want to "feel" the change. They could careless about the standard model, quantum computing or entanglement. When I discovered quantum computing 5 years ago and the huge research effort being applied towards it, I got goose bumps. Read this first

"Intel co-founder Gordon Moore noticed that computer speed is getting doubled in every 18 months."

When I found out a company called D-Wave figured it out and quantum computing power doubles every YEAR, I jumped for joy. If you really want to understand the power of this please youtube "Erik Lucero's Quantum Computing Breakthrough." Would it be right to say the Intel model of processor has been pushed out like the typewriter? I almost wish I could start over and slap my kid self in the face and tell myself, get out of that junk, and go read a book.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:04 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,789,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_natural View Post
For those of us who are aware about the ideas behind the Singularity, "transhumanism", post-scarcity, and how things could be rapidly converging to a point where things could likely become way better than anything we've ever imagined, why do you think the majority of our fellow human travelers have not even heard of or given thought about it yet? Would the world experience any changes if people became more aware of what may lead to happen, with sufficient collaborative effort?

Because people have forgotten the significance of the discovery of the God particle since the last NOVA episode on it.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
My concern is the people outside of our planet and how our people will be towards them even if they pose no threat besides being technically more advanced then us.

Charles is 100% correct. Most people want to "feel" the change. They could careless about the standard model, quantum computing or entanglement. When I discovered quantum computing 5 years ago and the huge research effort being applied towards it, I got goose bumps. Read this first

"Intel co-founder Gordon Moore noticed that computer speed is getting doubled in every 18 months."

When I found out a company called D-Wave figured it out and quantum computing power doubles every YEAR, I jumped for joy. If you really want to understand the power of this please youtube "Erik Lucero's Quantum Computing Breakthrough." Would it be right to say the Intel model of processor has been pushed out like the typewriter? I almost wish I could start over and slap my kid self in the face and tell myself, get out of that junk, and go read a book.
I'm on my I phone and not sure how to multi quote on it lol

I don't disagree with you about meeting people from another world. Honestly we are not ready yet.

About people wanting to see and feel the singularity not models I agree 100%. Even on city data I am told I am wrong by people who know and use computers all the time because they don't believe the models. In fact I was told that yesterday and I understand where he is coming from because I was that was till I really began to study the models and the impact they will have so I'm not mad. That is why I predict 2019 as the year the singularity will become mainstream as that year it will be real and not something geeks like me talk about coming in a few years.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:29 PM

Talking Russian Billionaire Wants to Create Cyborgs for Real

This is a interesting project and one that I will sign up for well before the singularity.

In science fiction, one of the most popular concepts is the cyborg — a creature that's part human and part machine. Now, a Russian billionaire is determined to take this sci-fi trope and make it a reality. The man is named Dmitry Itskov, and no, this isn't an April Fools' joke. Itskov is totally serious about wanting to make humans immortal by merging them with machines, and he's been pushing the project forward since 2011 when he founded the 2045 Initiative, ostensibly the deadline for "substance-independent" minds to receive artificial bodies — what some scientists refer to as the Singularity. As Digital Trends describes, the ultimate goal is to be able to transfer a person's mind or consciousness from a living brain into a machine with that person's personality and memories intact. Freed of physical form, the person would exist in a network similar to the Internet and be able to travel at the speed of light all over the planet, or even into space.

The link: http://mashable.com/2013/04/01/avatar-project/

Old 04-01-2013, 04:09 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,149,472 times
Quote:
As Digital Trends describes, the ultimate goal is to be able to transfer a person's mind or consciousness from a living brain into a machine with that person's personality and memories intact.
Maybe mind, but consciousness? If you create such a machine with personality and memories intact, would you with your consciousness see through both sets of eyes? I don't think so.

It would be the same as being a hypothetically perfect twin - they each have their own consciousness. Killing one would not transfer that consciousness.

So ....... YOU would die from your own perspective, even if a perfect replica went on living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology