Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2016, 10:00 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
This is actually a new and interesing interview with Ray Kurzweil. The reason I like it so much is who interviews him. That is Neil deGrasse Tyson on Star Talk.

They discuss the coming 3 revolutions: Biotechnology, nanotechnology and artificial intelligence. According to Ray Kurzweil we are already in the biotechnology revolution or life 2.0. I had thought by 2020 well we are here now. Welcome to life 2.0.

Based on speculations by scientists, I think that biotechnology might be significant in defining a new-and unique-era. However, I doubt that biotechnology in itself will result in a singularity.

Unless you could create a biological super brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 06:46 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Based on speculations by scientists, I think that biotechnology might be significant in defining a new-and unique-era. However, I doubt that biotechnology in itself will result in a singularity.

Unless you could create a biological super brain.
You are correct biotech will not lead us to a singularity on its own its just a step. The next step is life 3.0 or the nanotech revolution by 2030 where we wll actually merge with the technology. Why my goal is to be transhuman by 2030.

Then as artifcal intilligence continues to advance exponintially by 2045 it will be a billion times more intilligent then all the humans on the planet today combined. To keep up with AI by then we will have to become transhuman. That is what is meant by the technological singularity.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:47 AM

141 posts, read 128,394 times
Hello! Back after moving to another city, I'm in life science now and electron microscopes, yay !

For those thinking 7nm was some sort of "wall" for processors (we're already doing stuff for the "5nm" processors BTW), here comes the 1nm transistor!

A quick reply to those who says the iphone 3 years after the original iphone was 10x better, while the iPhone 3 years further was only x3. That's normal, the first iPhone was actually really slow and the money was used to make the user experience good (the "smarthphone" way).

If you want to check out if computers continue to evolve exponentially, don't use your laptop as a reference but for example graphic chips or storage density in SSD:s.

Why?

There is a reason why your new laptop isn't that much more powerful, it's because You, as an individual, doesn't really need that much more CPU power, you'll be much happier with switching your HD to an SSD and having a more battery economic CPU than a faster one.

AI, research etc. needs raw processing power (among other) and they usually use GPU:s (on a side note, gamers also "needs" more GPU power and feels the kick when installing a new, x2 card) so that's where the money is spent on.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:33 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
Interesting link, Valmond.

I'm wondering if we will soon see an idea that has been around for awhile-wearable computers.

I'm imagining a device that could be worn like a wrist watch (which was often a communications device in science fiction).

Old 12-07-2016, 04:04 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
...I'm imagining a device that could be worn like a wrist watch (which was often a communications device in science fiction).
Really????

Old 12-30-2016, 06:34 AM

141 posts, read 128,394 times
And Moore's law who is still going strong:

Lifeboat News: The Blog

Old 12-30-2016, 05:25 PM

This is 3 major technologies that will define us and honestly by 2030. We are currently in life 2.0 or the biotech revolution but by 2030 we will be in life 3.0 or the nanotech revolution.

Genetics, Nanotechnology, and Robotics

Of all the technologies riding the wave of exponential progress, Kurzweil identifies genetics, nanotechnology, and robotics as the three overlapping revolutions which will define our lives in the decades to come. In what ways are these technologies revolutionary?

The genetics revolution will allow us to reprogram our own biology.
The nanotechnology revolution will allow us to manipulate matter at the molecular and atomic scale.
The robotics revolution will allow us to create a greater than human non-biological intelligence.

The link: https://singularityhub.com/2016/04/1...ampaign=buffer

Old 01-01-2017, 07:50 PM

1,230 posts, read 991,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I thought I would post this video here because 60 minutes went into AI and how it is changing society and how it will. In fact it said "we have seen more advancements in the past 5 years then the previous 50". Welcome to life 2.0!

Artificial Intelligence - 60 Minutes Videos - CBS News
What advancements with AI? AI today have no more the brain power of rodent it longs way of from Dog that alone human.

It crazy all the money and research into AI and all you have is AI brain power of rodent.

What really is this biotech revolution or life 2.0 that to start around the year 2020?

What is this biotech revolution? What will life look like and be like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
It's not clear that uploading (copying) a person's mind to some VR would kill the person. As far as I know, we're talking about copying the mind, not transferring it physically - which would be a very different procedure. In fact, we're much closer to being able to put a brain into an artificial body (a large one, with lots of room for support systems & power & medical & CPUs & etc.) than we are to making a reasonable facsimile of the personality/memories of a human & copying that into a CPU.
Even if some day scientists find a way to copy the person mind and upload it to the computer or the internet!! The person is still dead!!! It just copy of the person!!

The only way one may live for ever is by use of cryogenics!! Where you freeze body and wake them up in future when medicine and every thing is advanced!!

But unfortunately there have been no money or research into cryogenics. And scientist have not found way around ice crystals of cells when freezing the body.

If there was breakthrough in cryogenic of a magic compound to stop ice crystals when freezing the body than this may take off in mainstream scientists and the government, rich people and companies may start giving money for cryogenics research.

Last edited by Yac; 01-02-2017 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 01-02-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
What advancements with AI? AI today have no more the brain power of rodent it longs way of from Dog that alone human.

It crazy all the money and research into AI and all you have is AI brain power of rodent.

This is a graph that shows where we have come and where we are going. Now that we are doubling larger numbers we will see more advancements and faster aka the law of accelerating returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post

What really is this biotech revolution or life 2.0 that to start around the year 2020?

What is this biotech revolution? What will life look like and be like?
This article gives you a real world example of the biotech revolution that we are in as it started in 2016 4 years ahead of schedule.

Gene therapy is here, and it could radically change modern medicine

The link: Gene therapy is here, and it could radically change modern medicine - Business Insider

However when I talk about life 2.0 I have found it is much more then biotech (that is a major part) but things like virtual reality and 3D tv's as my life today is completely different then it was even just a few years ago.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:29 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
Do you know what data the graph was based on ? Thanks.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology