U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 05:23 PM

11,902 posts, read 19,080,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Set back for stem cell treatments?

Three women blinded by untested stem cell treatment
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3000090
It is leading edge technology. Sadly that will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 07:03 PM

4,359 posts, read 5,285,242 times
Quote:
Set back for stem cell treatments?

Three women blinded by untested stem cell treatment
Three women blinded by untested stem cell treatment - NY Daily News

Some random unnamed clinic is shooting stem cells into people's eyeballs. Can that even be considered 'stem cell treatments'?

Old 03-30-2017, 11:16 AM

This is a huge step that will allow me to reach my top goal of becoming transhuman by 2030..

Elon Musk Just Launched A Company To Merge Your Brain With A Computer

In case you missed it, Elon Musk is rather concerned about the fate of humanity, given the extreme advancements being made in artificial intelligence (AI). Ultimately, he fears that our AI will, one day, overtake us. When this happens, he claims that humans will likely become second class citizens (or slaves, or something even worse).

Now, reports have surfaced which assert that he is backing a brain-computer interface venture that was founded to allow humans to keep up with the advancements made in machines. The interface is intended to work by augmenting that which makes us human: our brains.

The link: https://futurism.com/elon-musk-just-...th-a-computer/

Old 04-08-2017, 11:14 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,164,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
This is a huge step that will allow me to reach my top goal of becoming transhuman by 2030..

Elon Musk Just Launched A Company To Merge Your Brain With A Computer

In case you missed it, Elon Musk is rather concerned about the fate of humanity, given the extreme advancements being made in artificial intelligence (AI). Ultimately, he fears that our AI will, one day, overtake us. When this happens, he claims that humans will likely become second class citizens (or slaves, or something even worse).

Now, reports have surfaced which assert that he is backing a brain-computer interface venture that was founded to allow humans to keep up with the advancements made in machines. The interface is intended to work by augmenting that which makes us human: our brains.

The link: https://futurism.com/elon-musk-just-...th-a-computer/
Not to derail your post, though they have things in common, but was wondering if you've seen the film "Ghost in the Shell"? While I watched it I thought about you since you're so passionate about the singularity and I guess you can say the film takes place during the singularity age as most humans in it have brain and cybernetic implants to enchance themselves. Though a scary scenario the film brings up is being hacked and controlled through those implants. We're currently living in an age of computer hacking, it would probably be good to try and figure out methods of protection before implants become a common thing don't you think? You really think by 2030 we'll be able to have that safety net?

Old 04-10-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Not to derail your post, though they have things in common, but was wondering if you've seen the film "Ghost in the Shell"? While I watched it I thought about you since you're so passionate about the singularity and I guess you can say the film takes place during the singularity age as most humans in it have brain and cybernetic implants to enchance themselves. Though a scary scenario the film brings up is being hacked and controlled through those implants. We're currently living in an age of computer hacking, it would probably be good to try and figure out methods of protection before implants become a common thing don't you think? You really think by 2030 we'll be able to have that safety net?
I did see that movie last weekend in 3D. I do want to see it again but will wait till it is out on demand.

Yes that is going to be something we will have to watch out for. I do think we will be ready for it by 2030. Plus by 2030 we will not be putting our mind into a robot that will not happen till closer to 2045 but by 2030 is when we will merge with nanotechnology.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I did see that movie last weekend in 3D. I do want to see it again but will wait till it is out on demand.

Yes that is going to be something we will have to watch out for. I do think we will be ready for it by 2030. Plus by 2030 we will not be putting our mind into a robot that will not happen till closer to 2045 but by 2030 is when we will merge with nanotechnology.
Well this film doesn't really specify a year from what I recall, but yeah it would probably take place sometime around 2045. I do think it's more likely for the cyber tech that some of the other characters have in film to come before we even master nanotechnology. I think even Kurzweil thinks that sophisticated nanotechnology won't begin until the 2040s.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Well this film doesn't really specify a year from what I recall, but yeah it would probably take place sometime around 2045. I do think it's more likely for the cyber tech that some of the other characters have in film to come before we even master nanotechnology. I think even Kurzweil thinks that sophisticated nanotechnology won't begin until the 2040s.
The nanotech revolution is life 3.0 and Ray Kurzweil has said it will occur in the 2030's starting in 2030 but in this video says he now thinks it will happen in the mid to late 2020's. At present we are in life 2.0 or the biotech revolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpzXWGrngTw&t=5s

Go to 6 minutes in the video to see him address this.

Now as a side note I argue that the singularity will start by 2030 as artificial intelligence will be as intelligent as a human and we will need to merge with it to keep up causing life to change radically in the 2030's. Way beyond what we could perceive today meaning I do not have any idea what I will be doing for fun and work then. However I am reading books on this topic to help me understand what is coming. If you want to know what they are I can post the titles.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:32 AM

Quote:
The nanotech revolution is life 3.0 and Ray Kurzweil has said it will occur in the 2030's starting in 2030 but in this video says he now thinks it will happen in the mid to late 2020's. At present we are in life 2.0 or the biotech revolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpzXWGrngTw&t=5s

Go to 6 minutes in the video to see him address this.

Now as a side note I argue that the singularity will start by 2030 as artificial intelligence will be as intelligent as a human and we will need to merge with it to keep up causing life to change radically in the 2030's. Way beyond what we could perceive today meaning I do not have any idea what I will be doing for fun and work then. However I am reading books on this topic to help me understand what is coming. If you want to know what they are I can post the titles.
Well I'm at work right now so can't really see the video, but from the research I had done it didn't seem like we were that advanced in nanotech. I mean I've seen scientist using small particles including viruses and bacteria and other materials for their experiments but none are computer based thus far and I believe the non organic are being designed to disintegrate after awhile and leave the body. The tech just seems so sophisticated that I think it's more viable to have the other type of cybernetic implants first considering we already have working prototypes of many of them.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:44 AM

379 posts, read 97,438 times
The singularity is another fantasy for people who want a better future without doing crap to get it. It's religious belief without the collection plate.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
The singularity is another fantasy for people who want a better future without doing crap to get it. It's religious belief without the collection plate.
The technological singularity is a point in time when artificial intelligence is more intelligent then "a" human so we have to merge with the tech to keep up then after the rate of progress will go into high gear. In fact it will be so fast that today we can not comprehend what life will be like. It does not mean utopia or no one will have to work. It will happen the only question is when and I argue by 2030.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology