U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2017, 12:45 AM

1,868 posts, read 850,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Came across a classification scheme for Artificial Intelligences. The different tiers:

1. Weak Narrow AI. Does one thing well. Example-calculator.

2. Strong Narrow AI. Somewhat greater capacity. Example-SIRI.

3. Weak General AI. Oddly enough, somewhat similar to a human idiot savant. Superior to humans in some respects, but subpar in others.

4. Strong General AI. Self improvement possible, leading to intelligence explosion and....

5. Super AI. The singularity.
I expect that we will soon see the transition into #3, Weak General AI. I think this will be both strange and interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 12:09 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,173,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I expect that we will soon see the transition into #3, Weak General AI. I think this will be both strange and interesting.
Where would you place a Google Now/Google assistant/ Bixby/Watson?

Old 07-16-2017, 03:35 PM

15 posts, read 5,958 times
I think transhumanism is the future. Joe rogans take on it is really cool, that we as humans are going towards transhumanism as a natural evolution that we are doing subconsciously.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:36 AM

1,990 posts, read 633,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I didn't say it did nothing, I said it hasn't done anything revolutionary or game changing in my opinion. Where are the cancer cures, the genetic disorder cures, youth extending therapies. I know the mapping of 2003 is getting us there slowly, and that was my point in mentioning it and comparing it to the blue Brain project, that science takes time.
They're finding cancer goes a a bit deeper than genetics at the molecular level. Its on the right path though.
Its a sign post, but signposts aren't the destination.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:00 AM

1,990 posts, read 633,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I can see where it can look that way. Then again my life today with my smart phone, virtural reality, partially driverles suv, 3d tv and movies etc makes my life a science fixtion movie when I was in high school in the late 80's. So wait 13 years "you ain't seen nothing yet"!
Tech advance is being confused with advances in understanding consciousness, they're worlds apart.
Technology races ahead unabated, some of the apps for smartphones are astonishingly good.

But delving into consciousness has been a slog, they haven't solved much beyond proving what mind isn't.
It isn't emergent.

Physicalists claim it is emergent but if you inquire what the threshold is, they have no answer.

"the problem with materialism is it tries to construct the mind out of properties that refuse to add up to mentality" Colin McGuin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB5TNrtu9Pk

Old 07-18-2017, 05:19 AM

137 posts, read 80,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Tech advance is being confused with advances in understanding consciousness, they're worlds apart.
Technology races ahead unabated, some of the apps for smartphones are astonishingly good.

But delving into consciousness has been a slog, they haven't solved much beyond proving what mind isn't.
It isn't emergent.

Physicalists claim it is emergent but if you inquire what the threshold is, they have no answer.

"the problem with materialism is it tries to construct the mind out of properties that refuse to add up to mentality" Colin McGuin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB5TNrtu9Pk
So this is a christian (video) view on science, and it starts with 'scientists have nothing to back up the claim that there is nothing more in the brain than chemical signals and matter'.

Also, from the video: 'scientists can't pinpoint the moment when consciousnesses emerges, thus it cannot "emerge" '.

Wow, this isn't how science works.

Last but not least, no one have ever proved the existence of a "soul" either.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:27 AM

137 posts, read 80,958 times
A happy note from our friends the bio gerontologists over at the SENS foundation & Fight Aging! Where are we now?.

BTW: the first aging reversal drug will start human trials this year. From the web page:
Quote:
There has been a huge level of interest in senescent cell removal therapies in the last year or two, and a number of companies are currently developing senolytics. Unity Biotechnology is taking the first generation of senolytics into human clinical trials this year, after being successfully funded by Amazon’s Jeff Bezos and a number of other big investors.
On a side note, if you are, as I am, interested in longevity escape velocity, increased healthspan and reversal of aging,
come over to our Longevity Discord Channel and discuss with people in the field and other curious ones!

Last edited by Valmond; 07-18-2017 at 05:38 AM..

Old 08-03-2017, 09:18 AM

2,633 posts, read 1,572,818 times
In 1985, we thought Einstein's brain was not much different from anyone else's, but we were wrong.
https://www.inc.com/amp/170521.html

Quote:
Astrocytes nurture synapses. Not only are they key in synaptic plasticity, but they are plastic themselves. They grow and change. One astrocyte can be in contact with two million synapses, coordinating their activity and plasticity across vast realms of the human brain - and contributing to our intelligence.
How do astrocytes figure in artificial intelligence?
Artificial intelligence researchers from a university in Spain recently improved neural network performance by using an algorithm that included artificial astrocytes.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:23 PM

1,868 posts, read 850,765 times
Found an online article, dated 2014-"Homni: The New Superorganism Taking Over Earth by Gaia Vince.

A superorganism, or metorganism, is when individuals actually function as parts of a collect whole. Social insects are example: bee hives, ant colonies, termites.... Vince believes that humanity has become the basis for a global super organism.

Which reminds me of a book dated 1993-"Metaman: The Merging of Humans and Machines into a Global Superorganism" by Gregory Stock.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 08-06-2017 at 12:37 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 12:39 PM
Status: "CSU Pueblo won the NCAA D2 Championship in 2014!" (set 15 days ago)

11,946 posts, read 19,209,886 times
The technological singularity and the definition of consciousness are two separate but important topics. Even if we do not understand the nature of consciousness by 2030 we will have the ability to merge with the technology causing us to be transhuman aka cyborg and that will cause society to move faster then ever before causing all the models to break down or the technological singularity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology