U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 04:31 PM

12,093 posts, read 20,314,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The problem with estimates and predictions like that, they didnt consider if that technology would ever be made accessible to the general public at any time though. This could have a HUGE impact on when or if it ever happens.

The same thing applies to many other past technology predictions, like hovering cars, past generations assumed future generations would have all sorts of sci-fi like technology, but they never stopped to consider if the powers that be, would ever allow the public access to it,or even to know it exists!
This is when it will be available to the public. Also you can only predict information technology and flying cars is not a form of information technology so while we can give a good estimate when the singularity will hit us we have no idea when we will get flying cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 07:27 AM

139 posts, read 91,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
<snip>

... but they never stopped to consider if the powers that be, would ever allow the public access to it,or even to know it exists!
Weeeell, that's a big conspiracy theory IMO and as researchers all work more or less together nowadays, everything is out in the air. Today's problem seems to be the reverse, inflating the slightest finding into some super innovation.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:13 AM

6,011 posts, read 1,468,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmond View Post
Weeeell, that's a big conspiracy theory IMO and as researchers all work more or less together nowadays, everything is out in the air. Today's problem seems to be the reverse, inflating the slightest finding into some super innovation.
Thats not a conspiracy theory at all.

They created the 'Invention Secrecy Act' in 1951, this is designed to target and suppress certain technology. You dont have to take my word for it either, plenty of online sites describe why this was created and how its used, and why its still in force today.

There are a few conditions the new invention or technology must meet before being suppressed of course, one of them is if the technology negatively effects Govts ability to exert its authority, another one factors the impact on large existing industry and the overall economy if that industry suddenly became obsolete...

Example...lets say some guy figures out a way for cars to run on tap water with a few cheap additives or modifications...naturally that would be disastrous for the oil and gas industry, and would have dire results on the economy afterwards, it would be best to suppress this technology.

Btw, you can look thru lists of things they have suppressed with this act over the years thanks to FOIA documents, many of the inventions and technology relate to energy and vehicles.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:26 PM

2,100 posts, read 776,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
but wait 5 to 10 years and AI will be just as intelligent as we are. .
You posted this as little more than six years ago. How are we doing so far? AI Monopoly on Pogo set on Tycoon still can't beat me more than once out of ten.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:57 PM

1,007 posts, read 828,426 times
Who else is still watching this thread after watching it 6 years?

Old 09-10-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Who else is still watching this thread after watching it 6 years?

The interesting thing is technologies that we have today (virtual reality and driverless cars) that are out today, I have both of them (level 3 driverless), were more science fiction when this thread started and some even said it would not decades off before we got it... Something to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
You posted this as little more than six years ago. How are we doing so far? AI Monopoly on Pogo set on Tycoon still can't beat me more than once out of ten.
I have to go back and see what I mean by that quote as I have heard we will have human level AI by 2029 and Ray Kurzwewil has always said that.

I did see this in the news:

A.I. could spur global growth as much as the steam engine did, study shows

Artificial intelligence could contribute an additional 1.2 percent to annual GDP growth for at least the next decade, according to McKinsey Global Institute.

The institute's model expects about 70 percent of companies will adopt at least one form of AI by 2030, and that a significant portion of large firms will use a full range of the technology.

The McKinsey analysis found that countries that establish themselves as AI leaders — mostly developed economies— could capture 20 to 25 percent more in economic benefits compared to current levels.

The link: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/05/arti...udy-shows.html

Last edited by Josseppie; 09-10-2018 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-14-2018, 05:19 PM

A good video on what is coming in the next few decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTTgdtl8FvM

Old 09-19-2018, 08:10 AM

761 posts, read 222,682 times
I don’t think we have any idea what’s coming. I remember the cover of a old science fiction novel. It was a depiction of an astronaut during a space walk outside his craft set in the distant future. The craft, his suit, most of it looked pretty much on target, even today, with one glaring exception. Dangling from his “utility belt” was a slide rule. The concept of heads up displays, voice commands, all the radiation hardened digital electronics that could be integrated right into a helmet, was apparently unimaginable even to the science fiction crowd.

I hope I live to see the next revolution. The digital age was one, molecular biology was another. I think the next one will be machine intelligence and I think it will be as alien as any extraterrestrial visitor.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:48 AM

761 posts, read 222,682 times
Giving this a little bump for an article I just read (link below). It’s already happening that we are working for machines in a not so obvious way. Intelligent bots, having learned from other bots successful trading methods practically run the stock market now. Bots write music indistinguishable from human compositions. They do discovery in law firms, write articles for newspapers and sports magazines, generate reports, etc. we humans use all this machine information product to conduct our lives and business. Many of us already work for A.I.s. Here’s a more obvious case of an A.I. telling people what to do.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/busin...thm#gs.FANTrRs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology