U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 06:07 PM

1,483 posts, read 780,267 times

Advertisements

Kurzweil's predictions from his book "The Age of Spiritual Machines" suggests the march of technology is matching his schedule, but lagging 10 years behind.

It's been a marginally disappointing decade, but we're getting there, as long as we don't blow ourselves up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 10:50 AM

1,369 posts, read 421,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Kurzweil's predictions from his book "The Age of Spiritual Machines" suggests the march of technology is matching his schedule, but lagging 10 years behind.

It's been a marginally disappointing decade, but we're getting there, as long as we don't blow ourselves up.
Well, I guess thereís some comfort in knowing Iím not the only one who feels that way. Iím 70 and have eagerly been awaiting the next true, technological or scientific revolution. Instead, existing technologies keep evolving at a seemingly increasing pace but revolutionary develops are scarce. I hope something happens before I have to check out.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:15 PM

455 posts, read 259,722 times
My feelings about the singularity happening are just neutral.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:11 PM

4,638 posts, read 5,991,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Who else is still watching this thread after watching it 6 years?
I follow josseppies madness. I dig his eagerness for new tech.

To be fair I'm one of the ones who, just a couple years ago, said that driverless cars are still many years away. Meanwhile people are falling asleep behind the wheel while their cars are driving themselves.

What got me into this whole 'future tech' thing was reading about the coming unemployment explosion several years ago..That freaked me out then and still does. That's going to be a radical shift in how society works.

Old Today, 03:43 PM

455 posts, read 259,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I follow josseppies madness. I dig his eagerness for new tech.

To be fair I'm one of the ones who, just a couple years ago, said that driverless cars are still many years away. Meanwhile people are falling asleep behind the wheel while their cars are driving themselves.

What got me into this whole 'future tech' thing was reading about the coming unemployment explosion several years ago..That freaked me out then and still does. That's going to be a radical shift in how society works.
I'm cautiously optimistic because of the unemployment thing.
Again, some people also speculate that kinds of jobs that people have will shift to new ones rather than evaporate completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology