U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 12:14 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,811,100 times

Advertisements

There's a food singularity also just ahead. The whole world will become fat because of tasty, easy food from all cuisines, the best of all the combined culinary skills of human history, just open the package and wait for it to heat/cool in a minute.

http://www.thereadystore.com/mre/mre...eal-case-of-12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 03:35 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,351,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
There's a food singularity also just ahead. The whole world will become fat because of tasty, easy food from all cuisines, the best of all the combined culinary skills of human history, just open the package and wait for it to heat/cool in a minute.

MRE Ultimate Self-Heating Full Meal - CASE of 12
I have a feeling you are joking about the food singularity, however, I just want to point out that it will be the exact opposite. There is a so called fat gene and to be honest we don't need it anymore. Sure back in the savanna a thousand years ago it was needed because people then did not know when they would get the next meal. I know when I am going to get my next meal either at home from food I bought at a grocery store or a restaurant. In mice they turned off the fat gene. The result was the mice ate what and how much they wanted. They did not get heart disease or diabetes and lived 20% longer. Pharmaceutical companies are racing to figure out how to turn it off in humans. Once they do then we can eat as much as we want and not gain any weight and live longer.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:09 PM

The food singularity is happening, seriously. There's way more easy, flavorful food, and ingredients from all parts of the world than when I was young ...... how many kinds of condiments, exotic veggies, decent frozen meals of all kinds are easily had now...... remember what coffee or frozen pizza used to be like?

As for obesity treatments ....... the drug companies would find half their business gone within a year of an affordable obesity treatment hitting the market. They won't allow that, and have probably already interfered with such things. There are many drugs and illnesses that cause reduction in appetite ...... and yet mysteriously scientists haven't been able to find safe treatments that do the same ...... hmmmmm.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
The food singularity is happening, seriously. There's way more easy, flavorful food, and ingredients from all parts of the world than when I was young ...... how many kinds of condiments, exotic veggies, decent frozen meals of all kinds are easily had now...... remember what coffee or frozen pizza used to be like?
I can agree with this.

Quote:
As for obesity treatments ....... the drug companies would find half their business gone within a year of an affordable obesity treatment hitting the market. They won't allow that, and have probably already interfered with such things. There are many drugs and illnesses that cause reduction in appetite ...... and yet mysteriously scientists haven't been able to find safe treatments that do the same ...... hmmmmm.
I don't buy conspiracy theories especially ones like this. The reason is the pharmaceutical company that would figure out this would make millions and the ones to follow wold make millions too. There is no reason for them not to once the technology is there and its close.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:09 PM

There are plenty of conspiracies in the world, whether you want them or not. I don't think you've seen much of the world yet if you doubt that.

ONE company that gets the patent would make out like bandit, especially if they don't make many drugs to control obesity-related illnesses. All the other giant international pharmaceutical corporation would crash and burn. Right now, for example, I think Lipitor is the most profitable drug, or at least close to it ..... can you imagine what would happen to Pfizer if only a few people with hereditary cholesterol problems were to need it? That's most of their profit wiped out in a short time from the effects on ONE of its many meds.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:16 AM

I get what you are saying and I have traveled the world enough to know we are not nearly as advanced as we think we are. Sure we are on the cusp of some great things and hopefully I will be around to see them but unless I get some proof that a pharmaceutical company has come up with a medication to cure a illness or in this case stop the fat gene then while it might make us feel good to say as a society we have the knowledge to do it, we just choose not too for financial reasons, I think is giving society to much credit as we are just not that advanced.... YET.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 PM

Default Supercomputers ‘will fit in a sugar cube,’ IBM says

We talk about how computers are getting smaller and smaller and when I happen to run across this I had to post it. This is great!

In November 2010 IBM announced plans to build supercomputers the size of sugar cubes by 2025 or earlier. In March 2011 IBM updated its sugar-cube-statement by stating the sugar-cube-supercomputers will operate at minimum speeds of 1 quintillion FLOPS, and the expected completion year would be 2021.

Links to my sources:

1) Vinge / Kurzweil predictions inspire SINGULARITY 2045 deadline

2) IBM Research - Zurich | News

3) Supercomputers ‘will fit in a sugar cube,’ IBM says | KurzweilAI

Old 05-02-2012, 01:36 PM

Last night I read where Venor Vinge predicts the singularity will happen by 2030. I watched a video and listened to what he had to say and it made a lot of sense to me. Because of this I have a new timeline on how I think the singularity will develop. To be honest I had been wondering if the 2045 date was a little to conservative but now I have more evidence to think that it is.

Now till 2020:

We will see some changes but this will be the last decade before the major changes kick in. I consider this to be the final good bye to how we currently live.

2020 to 2030: I call this pre singularity.

This decade we will start to see some major changes. The Blue Brain Project will have been completed in 2019 meaning the brain will have been completely reversed engineered and simulations completed so our understanding of the brain will be way more then it is now. Computers that are fast enough to simulate the human brain will be cheap enough for the public to buy. Because of this we will do things that we can only imagine today such as virtual reality and robots that seem to be like humans. The fast change that comes with the singularity will not be here yet but the changes will be fast enough to make it different then any decade before.

There is a book about what it could be like during the pre singularity called Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge and I want to read it.

2030 to 2060: The Singularity

Once the singularity arrives it will take years for it to really change life on earth. From my studies two dates stand out: 2030 and 2045.

Given what is going on with Mores Law and other research projects like the Blue Brain Project I think its likely the singularity will start around 2030 and ramp up so its at the peak by 2045. Given how things have changed in the past 15 years is a extremely fast rate for what we will see. After 2045 or so its nearly impossible to know what life will be like other then it will be completely different then it is now.

To quote Betty Davis "Fasten your seat belt, its going to be a bumpy night."

Last edited by Josseppie; 05-02-2012 at 02:32 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I get what you are saying and I have traveled the world enough to know we are not nearly as advanced as we think we are. Sure we are on the cusp of some great things and hopefully I will be around to see them but unless I get some proof that a pharmaceutical company has come up with a medication to cure a illness or in this case stop the fat gene then while it might make us feel good to say as a society we have the knowledge to do it, we just choose not too for financial reasons, I think is giving society to much credit as we are just not that advanced.... YET.
I didn't say anything like "we as a society". What I meant was that IF a cure for obesity had been found, there's a likelihood that it would have been covered up - depending on which pharmaceutical company discovered it. They're not in business to help people, they're in business to make a profit - so they would look at such a cure coldly and analytically, deciding whether it could make more profit by patenting and selling it, or whether their current drug lines treating the side effects of obesity are more valuable. In fact if one corporation made a definitely safe product, they could probably demand "hush" money from all the big drug companies to bury it.

That's the way the corporate world generally works. Look at big oil and gas efficient engines for another example - or BP and the coverup of the Gulf disaster, or the nuclear industry with coverups of often fatal accidents.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I didn't say anything like "we as a society". What I meant was that IF a cure for obesity had been found, there's a likelihood that it would have been covered up - depending on which pharmaceutical company discovered it. They're not in business to help people, they're in business to make a profit - so they would look at such a cure coldly and analytically, deciding whether it could make more profit by patenting and selling it, or whether their current drug lines treating the side effects of obesity are more valuable. In fact if one corporation made a definitely safe product, they could probably demand "hush" money from all the big drug companies to bury it.

That's the way the corporate world generally works. Look at big oil and gas efficient engines for another example - or BP and the coverup of the Gulf disaster, or the nuclear industry with coverups of often fatal accidents.
I still don't see it. If a drug company came up with a cure for a major illness the money they would make would more then they could get as "hush money" and a lot more then make on the current medicine that is not curing the person.

Unless I would see some proof to backup what you are saying I think its the easier explanation. We are not as advanced as we think we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology