Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 05:22 PM

17 posts, read 57,788 times

Advertisements

I want to purchase a fireproof safe that will protect electronics and as well is electronic.

SentrySafe Electronic Fire Safe - Walmart.com

The URL above is the one that I am looking at to purchase so far. I am still doing research. One question that came to me was, what happens when a fire occurs and the buttons are burned. I am thinking that the buttons used to open the safe may end up useless after a good one hour fire. I myself have no knowledge of whether or not they would survive and frankly searching for an answer has become a royal pain.

If you have an answer for me please try to provide where you got it from. Any videos of a fireproof safe after a fire being opened would help. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 05:35 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Take it back to Wal-Mart or the manufacturer and have them open it.
Get a drill and drill it open.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:24 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,780,883 times
You could do this:
crack and reset an electronic safe

If at all possible get one that also has a *key* !

LBNL, if it is small, I could just take the whole thing, and take my time at home to *crack it* ...
You must bolt it down or it is worthless !
The one you like, needs holes to be drilled thru the bottom of the safe,
which makes *water-proof* questionable .

Are just looking for a *Fire proof safe*, and NOT for a *steal-proof* safe ?
If *yes*, most of these electronic safes have a small hole where you stick a slender pin thru to by-pass the electronics.

Last edited by irman; 03-02-2012 at 10:39 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 02:39 PM

8,221 posts, read 13,299,623 times
Default Hmm

Sell it on eBay to this guy, he will get 'r done!

Old 03-09-2012, 12:01 PM

I am not too worried about theft. I don't think I am allowed to bolt anything down where I live either. I just need something I can afford to put something like a portable external hard drive in. The reason I was looking at this one is because it is within my price range and because it protects electronics as well. I have been looking for one with just a key as I would not trust the electronic buttons to function after a fire.

This wasn't so much as to oppose or just the purchase of this safe. It was more so that the question came to mind. I am a very inquisitive person and I find that questions on city-data are answered a lot quicker than on other sites.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:02 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,780,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianButterfly View Post
I just need something I can afford to put something like a portable external hard drive in.
We have something at our home, that probably will fit the bill, and it is just a case, with a lid on it that you can lock. The *walls* are about an inch thick !
If you do get one, I suggest that you check if the inside width is the same length as a letter size paper.
This way you could also put your sensitive papers (passports, insurance docs, etc) in it, in case of fire.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:26 PM

I am planning on putting things such as important papers in as well. The hard drive will contain scanned documents that will be shredded afterward (as they are not so important that they need to clutter more space) I just want to make sure that in case of a fire all of that information does not end up useless. As for papers, if my hard drive will be safe then I think that the papers will be fine too.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:58 AM

8 posts, read 22,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianButterfly View Post
I want to purchase a fireproof safe that will protect electronics and as well is electronic.

SentrySafe Electronic Fire Safe - Walmart.com

The URL above is the one that I am looking at to purchase so far. I am still doing research. One question that came to me was, what happens when a fire occurs and the buttons are burned. I am thinking that the buttons used to open the safe may end up useless after a good one hour fire. I myself have no knowledge of whether or not they would survive and frankly searching for an answer has become a royal pain.

If you have an answer for me please try to provide where you got it from. Any videos of a fireproof safe after a fire being opened would help. Thank you.
Did you ever get an answer to your question? I too was looking at the same safe (just the bolting down one from Lowes - same price about). Could you let me know your findings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology