U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 02:48 AM

535 posts, read 491,028 times

Advertisements

To start off, let me tell you a little about myself. I grew up in the technology era. When i was in like 7th grade or so , we had the amazing "INTERNET".

Before then, I remember times of driving hot wheels on very rainy and especially MUDDY DAYS... My mom said she would need to do a lot of "LAUNDRY"..

I remember jumping in over-sized construction garbage tubs, for the fun of it. It was an ADVENTURE.

I remember that having fun, was mainly GOING OUTSIDE.. and playing sports, tag, or something else outdoors.

And then before I realized it. I'm in my 20s , I feel old already. I feel like I gave up on real human nature and adventure and fun.

I feel that I am ABUSING my God Given Human Spirit.

My idea of fun, for the past decade or so, has been about watching "viral" online videos. Watching other people doing fun/stupid/crazy things.

I feel I gave up on myself. I feel I don't live for me, but for the safe adventure of my brain watching "crap" online or tv.

The only times in my high-school or college times that I truly felt alive was when I was DRUNK as could be, and experienced real life crazy things and had crazy times.

Now that- that time is over.. I realize I am a DILBERT. I don't live for real adventure. I am fearful of technology. Technology and rule of law has become my god.

I am truly regretful for falling into this trap.

My fears now a days are when the internet connection goes out twice a month for no known reason.

My fears are the unpredictable. When before the technology era, my fears use to be nothing much, but big REAL LIVE 80 pound neighbor dogs, and nothing else.

I am posting this, because I believe that most people in "civilized" worlds, are experiencing the same things as me. I feel so bad for the people younger than me, for they could never of experienced real life like I did, or especially the generations before me.

I know it's ironic I'm posting this "ONLINE"... there is obviously some good that has come out of technology, but at what "COST".

If it is at the cost of HUMAN EXPERIENCE AND SPIRITUALLY... count me out, "PLEASE GOD, count me out from now on".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:53 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,372,219 times
I am agnostic who leans towards atheism so I am not one to talk about spirituality. However in terms of the "human experience" I would say we are the luckiest generation to have ever lived as we have the means and time to actually experience it and not worry about living day to day. I love all the new technology and always anticipate what will come out next.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:40 PM

3,738 posts, read 6,224,410 times
Interesting post, and something I have often thought of myself. Next month I will be 27 years old. In my younger days as a child, going to the park, riding my bike up and down the alley ways, playing hide and go seek tag with my friends, climbing trees, playing baseball, exploring the forested areas around the neighborhood and making our own trails through them, having snowball fights on snowy days or going swimming on hot days, and just being outside in general, was more than enough to keep me entertained and it was always so great. Then one day I found myself playing video games more often, becoming addicted to the internet, watching way too much TV, instant messaging friends or contacting them on myspace (and then later facebook) instead of seeing them in person became the norm.

The world doesn't seem as bright or as colorful to me as it once did. Technology has taken over big time, but there are other things at play too. The world isn't nearly as safe a place as it used to be. So many more sickos and perverts and theives and murderers and rapists than there were before. All of that, along with how ridiculously we have let technology overtake us for everything, is really ruining us! Even when I go camping or hiking it seems I always have my phone in hand, posting pictures or statuses to facebook or texting somebody. It really is an addiction that needs to be broken! So yes, I agree, technology has become quite a bit of a time wasting addiction that only seems to get worse with time, and has taken a lot of adventure out of life. I can't even get lost anymore! Know why? My phone has GPS lol!

Sometimes I think of getting rid of it all and getting back to ENJOYING the adventures and unknowns of life. But it wouldn't work so well without others following suite, as technology seems to be the primary way of interfacing with other people these days. Long gone are the days of randomly showing up at the house of a friend and being welcomed in, or the chance they'll pick up a random phone call. If you aren't talking via text messages or facebook, or some other way such as a forum like city-data, you probably aren't talking at all. Sad. (And for the record, a friend showing up at random at my house will always be welcomed in. I'm just saying that most people these days prefer not to be bothered with such surprise visits anymore, unlike when I was a kid and it was much more common and acceptable for that to happen. Hell I had friends where I was allowed to let myself in, had a key to their house and everything, and even if they weren't home I was welcome to stay and even help myself to their refrigerator! Not many people like that anymore these days at all).

Old 03-07-2012, 05:22 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,868,606 times
I just turned 64, I remember sitting in my grandfathers lap listening to the Lone Ranger on the radio (TV wasn't invented yet) going on excursions to Times Square (NYC) to gawk at the bombers that were used in WW2, looking up at the sign with the man blowing smoke O's smoking a Camel.

Playing with slingshots, having rock throwing fights with the kids on the next block, riding a bicycle with no safety helmet, screwing tight the skates on my shoes rollerskating all around the neighborhood with my friends, playing cowboys and indians with toy rifles, knives and pistols and no adult thought we were killers-in-the-making. The teacher using her wooden ruler on my hand when she caught me cheating and my father beating my butt with his belt when I did something wrong.

I've taught my kids now grown up and they are teaching their children there is nothing wrong with modern technology (spent 42 years in IT), to use it as a tool, for fun but enjoy the great outdoors, that nothing beats a good game of tag football, having another human being laugh at your jokes and get soaked in a downpour during a hike.

Technology crushing the human spirit? No, PEOPLE are crushing the human spirit.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:35 PM

3,738 posts, read 6,224,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I just turned 64, I remember sitting in my grandfathers lap listening to the Lone Ranger on the radio (TV wasn't invented yet) going on excursions to Times Square (NYC) to gawk at the bombers that were used in WW2, looking up at the sign with the man blowing smoke O's smoking a Camel.

Playing with slingshots, having rock throwing fights with the kids on the next block, riding a bicycle with no safety helmet, screwing tight the skates on my shoes rollerskating all around the neighborhood with my friends, playing cowboys and indians with toy rifles, knives and pistols and no adult thought we were killers-in-the-making. The teacher using her wooden ruler on my hand when she caught me cheating and my father beating my butt with his belt when I did something wrong.

I've taught my kids now grown up and they are teaching their children there is nothing wrong with modern technology (spent 42 years in IT), to use it as a tool, for fun but enjoy the great outdoors, that nothing beats a good game of tag football, having another human being laugh at your jokes and get soaked in a downpour during a hike.

Technology crushing the human spirit? No, PEOPLE are crushing the human spirit.
I like this post. Tried to rep you but the powers above wouldn't let me.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:12 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,492,855 times
I don't think it is crushing the "human spirit" but definitely changing they way we interact. And what's wrong with change? It's not necessarily better or worse, it's just different. I grew up in a small town in the 80's and would have loved to have the Internet. I couldn't stand most of the people in my town, they spoke small words and thought small thoughts.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:19 PM

16,874 posts, read 51,413,686 times
plwhit, your dad musta been sneaky smart to keep you away from the tube. TV had been invented and was being popularized by General Sarnov before our era.

The OP can be reduced to passive vs. active behaviors. Society no longer appreciates active behaviors unless those behaviors are structured and encased in layers of safety regulations. Parents are deathly afraid of Johnny going out with a baseball bat and lobbing something through a window somewhere. So... they buy Johnny a baseball outfit, enroll him in pee-wee leagues, spend beaucoup d' bucks on his enforced addiction, then wonder why he isn't as creative as they used to be.

There are risks inherent in creativity and individuality. Look up the old sci-fi short story "With Folded Hands" to see where we are headed. Although the story is dated, the theme is deadly accurate.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:45 AM

15,768 posts, read 13,199,215 times
Then go outside you big whiner. It is still there.

Yesterday I just went to a national park near me and hiked out into the dunes a mile or so off trail. I was within 10 miles of new york city and I was still completely alone. Then I was really bad and fed a red fox some peanuts, at least they were not salted.

Then I grabbed my family and went to watch an entertaining piece of technological fluff, John Carter. CGI is making some amazingly entertaining movies but that does not mean you shouldn't also read books.

Just because technology makes new things possible does not mean you stop doing the old things you enjoy.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:18 PM

4 posts, read 3,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I don't think it is crushing the "human spirit" but definitely changing they way we interact. And what's wrong with change? It's not necessarily better or worse, it's just different. I grew up in a small town in the 80's and would have loved to have the Internet. I couldn't stand most of the people in my town, they spoke small words and thought small thoughts.
I,too, really enjoy the internet but don't feel the need to be connected to it 24/7. The internet is great so long as it is used in moderation IMHO.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:15 PM

700 posts, read 953,696 times
"Then go outside you big whiner. It is still there."

Best line on this thread! Addresses the main issue ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology