Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:10 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times

Advertisements

This is high tech perverted.......

"An investigative reporter reveals that the NSA has established listening posts throughout the nation to collect and sift through billions of email messages and phone calls. "

Exposed: Massive New Spy Center Built to Track Your Emails and Phone Calls | | AlterNet

The NSA Is Building the Country's Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say) | Threat Level | Wired.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 05:24 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
If you're not a criminal why care? If the feds want to listen to my insightful banter with otheres on the phone they better drinlk some extra coffee 'cause they are going to be bored to death.,

Old 03-22-2012, 05:52 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If you're not a criminal why care? If the feds want to listen to my insightful banter with otheres on the phone they better drinlk some extra coffee 'cause they are going to be bored to death.,
Do you think that the NSA boring themselves to tears reading your e-mails or listening to your phone calls is an appropriate or efficient use of taxpayer dollars?

Old 03-22-2012, 06:03 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Oh Nooooo I'm doomed.

They will learn that I am the long lost relative of a Nigerian Prince in a plane crash My cover will be blown.....

Old 03-22-2012, 06:29 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
You're just not very imaginative. How many of your posts, e-mails, or texts would you be cool with being revealed to your boss, your family, your significant other, or anyone else for that matter. I mean, even if you're a good employee or a faithful spouse, that stuff is just fodder for trouble. Get in a dispute with the Feds for any reason, tick off the wrong politician in the public eye, and suddenly one of your more embarrassing posts could wind up splashed across the six o'clock news. Heck, I don't write anything scandalous, but I certainly don't want my thoughts offered up to the world for perusal, either.

Here's the thing. You are basically shrugging your shoulders at the Federal Government arrogating to itself the right to read your private correspondence. I just happen to take my civil liberties a little more seriously than you apparently do.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Oh Nooooo I'm doomed.

They will learn that I am the long lost relative of a Nigerian Prince in a plane crash My cover will be blown.....
Quote:
Attitudes like these scare the crap out of me.

Last edited by 1208; 03-22-2012 at 10:10 PM..

Old 03-23-2012, 12:50 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
I hope Big Brother is reading this:

Get out of my computer!

I don't want the Feds to know every dirty little thing I do online! I don't want them to know the angry exchange I had with a bank, talking about how Fannie Mae can kiss my you-know-what because their rules for lending are draconian for condos. I don't want them to know all the websites my wife goes to to watch her Japanese TV dramas (ironically all Korean with Japanese subtitles). I don't want them to know the exchanges between my brothers and I about our dad's third marriage.

Basically, giving up the right to privacy is akin to giving up the right to lead a normal life. I don't want to cruise the web and one day be landed in jail just because i got irate over some dumb law passed by some chimp those dumb southern hicks elected to Congress. And I don't want my taxpayer dollars to go towards building and STAFFING these things. Oh lordy imagine the number of PEOPLE they will need to employ to sift through the data and invent new code breaking.

I will grant these should be built as intended, to intercept FOREIGN communication. You know, be spies. Not spies against your own people.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:38 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I hope Big Brother is reading this:

Get out of my computer!

I don't want the Feds to know every dirty little thing I do online! I don't want them to know the angry exchange I had with a bank, talking about how Fannie Mae can kiss my you-know-what because their rules for lending are draconian for condos. I don't want them to know all the websites my wife goes to to watch her Japanese TV dramas (ironically all Korean with Japanese subtitles). I don't want them to know the exchanges between my brothers and I about our dad's third marriage.

Basically, giving up the right to privacy is akin to giving up the right to lead a normal life. I don't want to cruise the web and one day be landed in jail just because i got irate over some dumb law passed by some chimp those dumb southern hicks elected to Congress. And I don't want my taxpayer dollars to go towards building and STAFFING these things. Oh lordy imagine the number of PEOPLE they will need to employ to sift through the data and invent new code breaking.

I will grant these should be built as intended, to intercept FOREIGN communication. You know, be spies. Not spies against your own people.
Do you really think you are that important that the NSA will read every email you send, every video your wife watches or what you and your brothers talked about your father?

As far as the number of staffers used to sift though the data you have heard about mainframe computers and what they can be used for, haven't you?

It's the little privately owned companies who supply demographics to the marketing companies I'm concerned over.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:08 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,919 times
Does the NSA not already have the countries biggest spy center? I would have guessed they did. I bet the CIA does not like to be one-uped - the competiton is on!! I bet CIA Director Petraeus heard about it and said "oh, hell no..." and called up his homies on the budget committee and said "I'm gonna need a couple billion dollars." And they said "Okay, Dave. We still on for golf this Wednesday?"

I've assumed a while ago that everything online or sent via email or through the airwaves is monitored by computer programs screening for key words. I'll be sure to use innocuous vocabulary and code words when I start the revol...

Old 03-23-2012, 07:09 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Do you really think you are that important that the NSA will read every email you send, every video your wife watches or what you and your brothers talked about your father?

As far as the number of staffers used to sift though the data you have heard about mainframe computers and what they can be used for, haven't you?

It's the little privately owned companies who supply demographics to the marketing companies I'm concerned over.
Let me ask you:

Are YOU ok with having the government intercept and decrypt and analyze every bit of information that exists in your home and what you transmit and receive? Let's say you mockingly joke "Allah ackbar!" to some internet troll who hates Muslims. That's a red flag. So is joking about killing Americans (not great or tasteful jokes, but still).

These are all red flags and they are all innocuous and innocent in nature. Yet they will trigger analysis. That is what I'm concerned about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology