U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 AM

38,755 posts, read 39,237,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
It's a fascinating idea. It would seem to have unlimited possibilities. My main question is can you get any real time info out of lucid dreams, or is it just a playground for your mind. For instance, if you were looking for a lost item, could your dream self pinpoint where it is (or where it could be found)? Or could you find find something that is never been yours, such as a lost silent film, or a hidden archeological find?
Theoretically, it could, if the location of the lost item is locked in your subconscious and it is only your conscious memory that can't retrieve it. But I doubt if learning to control your dream is worth the trouble just to find a lost object amid an assortment of a million imaginary dream scenarios, which will probably turn up before you learn how to dream where it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 05:58 PM

8,567 posts, read 5,225,654 times
I've been working on interacting with my dreams. There was a time, mid-80's, I could set the FM radio to KPFT (Pacifica, Houston) before falling asleep and have dreams about floating. In retro, one of those dreams was allusory to pending events in my life. In one of those, I was above ground in a hot air balloon, picking apples and throwing them at a crowd of people. Don't know why they were there.

To the thread title, yes you can control what you dream and with practice you can interact with those dreams.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:05 PM

8,567 posts, read 5,225,654 times
Quote:
It's a fascinating idea. It would seem to have unlimited possibilities. My main question is can you get any real time info out of lucid dreams, or is it just a playground for your mind. For instance, if you were looking for a lost item, could your dream self pinpoint where it is (or where it could be found)? Or could you find find something that is never been yours, such as a lost silent film, or a hidden archeological find?
Some say that dreaming in the way the subconscious mind deals with daily issues. I've recently had some memories that were annoying me, well have been for years. I've been fussing at my mind to let those memories go. Just last week I dreamed of a list of things that were pitched out the window and I haven't had those annoying thoughts since.

As far as finding that silent film or archeological find... it may include dreaming but what you're describing takes a whole lot of practice and understanding of where you're going with it.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 PM

28,115 posts, read 24,134,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Many debates about this. Check out lucid dreaming. Its a dream state in which you are aware that you are dreaming and some say you can control it, but they say it takes practice.
100% correct.
The problem is that if you exert too much control, you wake up.

It takes a lot of practice to stay in the dream. I hear it takes even more to induce them.

I can often identify and control now, but it is really hard not to wake up.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:50 PM

11,325 posts, read 10,139,068 times
Quote:
Astral Projection claims to do just that, but I highly doubt you can get anything that wasn't put in your head through normal means at some point.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:11 AM

3,737 posts, read 3,325,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Once your subconscious takes over your brain I don't think you can have too much control. That can be good thing for some people. People who have disabilities are able to visualized them selves in dreams with out the disabilities.
This brought up an interesting question to me. Can people who are blind, and more specifically, can people who were born blind and have been their entire life, see in their dreams? And if so, what do they see? Can they see the world as it is in their dreams? Can they see it in true color? Or, if they see anything at all, would it just be random blobs and shapes that don't make sense? Hmmm..... off to google!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 AM

5,116 posts, read 2,669,492 times
I'm not so up to speed on lucid dreaming... but last night I had a dream where I ended up in the back seat of a car with no driver which was speeding down the highway. Trying to avoid a crash, I realized I could shake my head in my dream real fast and I could wake up. It was a real odd moment as I had never purposely been able to wake myself before.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:38 PM

2,072 posts, read 2,453,587 times
Now if they could only figure out how to do shared dreaming like in the movie "Inception"....

Old 04-19-2012, 10:40 PM

2,072 posts, read 2,453,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
This brought up an interesting question to me. Can people who are blind, and more specifically, can people who were born blind and have been their entire life, see in their dreams? And if so, what do they see? Can they see the world as it is in their dreams? Can they see it in true color? Or, if they see anything at all, would it just be random blobs and shapes that don't make sense? Hmmm..... off to google!
Would they know it if they did?

Old 04-19-2012, 11:56 PM

3,737 posts, read 3,325,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Would they know it if they did?
The most compelling argument I read says NO. People who go blind later in life can have "normal" dreams but people born blind or who went blind early on in infancy wouldn't, simply because they don't have the vast cache of imagery that the seeing do stored in their brains to create "normal" dreams. Though I still wonder. I've read stories of people blind from birth who have died and come back to life, who described in great detail of everything they saw while they were dead, and the vivid color of everything they saw, etc. Although this goes in to a different topic completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology