Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times

Advertisements

That thread go t me to thinking. A while back this came up in conversation with friends and Mrs. Tek and one of our friends say they sometimes see wheels spinning backwards when they see a car on the street and I called them on it. They insisted they see this so I'm asking:

True or jerking my chain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,954 times
It's much easier to see on video because of frame rate syncing up with the RPM of the wheel:

Spinning Wheel - YouTube

It's just how your eyes interpret the incredibly rapidly changing light patterns. Sometimes at the right "frequencies" it will look like they are going backwards. It's a basic strobe effect.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:43 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
True, I think. In south Florida there was a type of hubcap with a ratchet mechanism of some sort where the "wheels" would still spin when the car was at a stoplight. It wouldn't take much engineering to have them designed so they spun backwards.

Needless to say, when we pass a combine or sprayer or other equipment on the road up here, the farmer sitting about ten feet in the air on equipment that barely fits the road has more important things on his mind than spinning hubcaps, but is a WHOLE lot more impressive.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,954 times
Unless they're talking about this:

PimpStar by DUB - YouTube

Old 06-15-2012, 11:03 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
That thread go t me to thinking. A while back this came up in conversation with friends and Mrs. Tek and one of our friends say they sometimes see wheels spinning backwards when they see a car on the street and I called them on it. They insisted they see this so I'm asking:

True or jerking my chain?
True, you're probably looking around $1,000.00 per rim on these spinners....

Spinning_Rims__Spinner_Rims___Spinners

Old 06-16-2012, 02:23 PM

Oooookay, not a single response that answers the question so I'll ask again in a more complete manner.

I'm talking about regular wheels on cars driving down the street. No spinners or their ilk. I'm not talking about a video of a wheel turning, I'm talking about someone standing on the street watching a car go by and claiming that they see the wheel running backwards.

So, the real question is does the eye have a "frame rate" that will cause the same effect as seeing it on a video?

Old 06-16-2012, 04:12 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:

So, the real question is does the eye have a "frame rate" that will cause the same effect as seeing it on a video?
I'm fairly certain the eye has a biological 'frame rate.' IE, our eyes (brains more accurately) still 'see' an image for a certain fraction of a second after actually seeing it. Maybe an eye doc can chime. To answer your other question, I too have seen a car drive by while I was on a sidewalk that appeared to have wheels spinning backwards. Actually I've seen this a ton of times, it's normal. No, they were not the ghetto spinner wheels.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:20 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
duplicate

Old 06-16-2012, 04:27 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Yes and I believe it's 100FPS, you're more likely to see this on a spoked wheel than a solid one. There is other factors like blurring and the eye will interpolate what it sees. That's why video doesn't flicker and appears as smooth motion., the motion in between is created by the brain for what it thinks its seeing.

It don't even have to be spinning to look like it's spinning , view full size. There is all kinds of tricks you can play on the eye.

No it isn't a technical trick or animation, the motion is caused by your eye/brain.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I'm fairly certain the eye has a biological 'frame rate.' IE, our eyes (brains more accurately) still 'see' an image for a certain fraction of a second after actually seeing it. Maybe an eye doc can chime. To answer your other question, I too have seen a car drive by while I was on a sidewalk that appeared to have wheels spinning backwards. Actually I've seen this a ton of times, it's normal. No, they were not the ghetto spinner wheels.
I've never seen this.

Maybe it's somehow related to the fact that I rarely see 3d in movies. Everyone else is oohing and aahing and I'm trying to figure out why. I have seen 3d a total of twice. Once at the Star Trek Experience at the Hilton in Las Vegas (RIP) and once at a Best Buy store at one of the demos. There were four different brands set up with 3d and I saw it on one brand only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology