Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 09:00 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,108,728 times

Advertisements

“This is because the fermentative bacterium was carefully selected to degrade and ferment agricultural wastes into ethanol efficiently and to produce byproducts that could be metabolized by the electricity-producing bacterium,” Reguera said. “By removing the waste products of fermentation, the growth and metabolism of the fermentative bacterium also was stimulated. Basically, each step we take is custom-designed to be optimal.”

The second bacterium, Geobacter sulfurreducens, generates electricity. The electricity, however, isn’t harvested as an output. It is used to generate hydrogen in the MEC to increase the energy recovery process even more, Reguera said.

“When the MEC generates hydrogen, it actually doubles the energy recoveries,” she said. “We increased energy recovery to 73 percent. So the potential is definitely there to make this platform attractive for processing agricultural wastes.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:43 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,285,347 times
Do you have a source for this article? I worked on a project similar to this back in 2009 at a government lab but the limitation was always the inefficiency of breaking down cellulose and lignin. I can't tell if this is really breaking down the waste or just fermenting the carbs.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Do you have a source for this article? I worked on a project similar to this back in 2009 at a government lab but the limitation was always the inefficiency of breaking down cellulose and lignin. I can't tell if this is really breaking down the waste or just fermenting the carbs.
Woops, sorry about that

Old 07-19-2012, 11:26 AM

I'd suggest that with our diet, we need it. Hamburgers and hotdogs anybody?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology