U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 05:29 PM

19,070 posts, read 21,792,495 times
Great big assumption in all that rhetoric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Status: "Pueblo Canon City CSA 208,000. The 134th largest in the USA!" (set 2 days ago)

10,206 posts, read 11,301,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Great big assumption in all that rhetoric.
Can you explain to me how the theory is wrong and what the assumptions are?

Old 08-17-2012, 04:14 PM

38,744 posts, read 37,273,681 times
Quote:
Do some research on the number of white American births compared to others. In less time than you might think white America is going to be in the minority.
Assumption #1 -- White people are superior to non-white people.

Assumption #2 -- Superior people will rise to the top and be the dominant class, q.e.d.

Assumption #3 -- Wealth and power will accumulate in the hands if the dominant class, q.e.d.,

Assumotion #4 -- A smaller dominant class will leave a larger share of the pie for each member.

Conclusion: The fewer white people there are, the better off each of them will be.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:11 PM

Allah be praised. Buy your wife and all female children burkas. Take away their drivers licenses. Do not let them out without a male member of the household accompanying them. Etc.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:23 PM

11,254 posts, read 9,599,395 times
I assumed this thread had died and haven't been by to check. Here are some of my thoughts:

About the Singularity:

I think we'll be capable of creating true AI in a hundred years but I highly doubt we'll give it any chance of taking over or even eclipsing our own cognitive abilities. We are competitive by nature and it would be against our nature to just give another competing "lifeform" the advantage willingly like that.

Instead I see humanity augmenting themselves to stay ahead of their computers. Eventually, there will be no way to distinguish an AI from a human mind because we'll essentially be the same thing. Maybe parents of the future will even elect to make and raise AI "babies" instead of biological ones!

As for a world under Sharia Law... yea, right. A LOT can change in a hundred years, even with religions. Take the Mormons for example. A little more than a hundred years ago, Mormons were isolationists who openly practiced Polygamy and were as backwards-nutty religious-wise as can be. Today they are practically mainstream and we may even get a mormon president! A 1890's mormon would not even recognize their religion today.

Islam will be the same; in a hundred years it will be the same religion in name only.

And for race? What meaning does race have when you can choose whatever you want to look like, both in your virtual persona (which I think will be FAR more important in 100 years) and even your physical appearance and/or that of your children. Race (and possibly even gender) will be merely cosmetic and have little bearing on the cultural identity of mankind in the 2100's. Stormfronters will be disappointed, but I think that's a positive direction for humanity to take.

Finally, there is no guarantee that we'll keep rising in technological prowess and ability. We are perilously close to self-destruction; we have the tools but not the wisdom to use them wisely yet.

We very well might not make it to 2100. 2100 may look more like 2100 BC than "Star Trek" at best. And at worst, thanks to us the highest life-forms on the planet might be deep-sea squid or cockroaches in the 2100's.

It makes me sad to think about that... We have such a bright potential future but can loose it so easily.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:45 AM

5,950 posts, read 4,453,443 times
I picture an Orwellian dystopia. At the very least, privacy will be a thing of the past. As technology becomes ever more integrated into our personal lives, and by that point in time integrated into our bodies, everyone will be 'plugged-in' in one way or another. Off the grid will be near impossible, probably illegal. Your thoughts will not be your own, all words you utter or type will be archived. All locations, purchases, habits, interests, etc, will be monitored in to ensure peaceful submission, and archived. Hell, we are doing much of this already. However, in 100 years, I'm thinking everyone will be all part of one great big, integrated hive-mind type of society in which everyone is just a little node on a vast worldwide database. You'll have no choice but to partake of it. Those who want to live as rugged individuals will be seen as threats, or as having something to hide, and won't be tolerated. You won't be able to sell, or buy, work or reside outside this system. All wages/salary will be divied out by the ruling authority via this system. Automated drones will be all over the skies, cameras will be integrated into every nook and cranny imaginable. Anyone who shows too much individualism will be re-educated on how to be a good little hive-mind citizen. Police presence will be very visible and omni-present. No questioning of authority will be tolerated. It will be this conglomeration of the ultimate nanny and police state.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:40 AM

13,001 posts, read 23,838,564 times
Quote:
Buy your wife and all female children burkas. Take away their drivers licenses. Do not let them out without a male member of the household accompanying them. Etc.
The 700 club?

Old 08-18-2012, 06:42 AM

13,001 posts, read 23,838,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Assumption #1 -- White people are superior to non-white people.
Yeap i hear ya as those ''trailer park whites'' are some arrogant bastards .

Old 08-18-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
The 700 club?
Yes.

And my original comment has nothing to do with superiority.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Status: "Pueblo Canon City CSA 208,000. The 134th largest in the USA!" (set 2 days ago)

10,206 posts, read 11,301,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I assumed this thread had died and haven't been by to check. Here are some of my thoughts:

About the Singularity:

I think we'll be capable of creating true AI in a hundred years but I highly doubt we'll give it any chance of taking over or even eclipsing our own cognitive abilities. We are competitive by nature and it would be against our nature to just give another competing "lifeform" the advantage willingly like that.

Instead I see humanity augmenting themselves to stay ahead of their computers. Eventually, there will be no way to distinguish an AI from a human mind because we'll essentially be the same thing. Maybe parents of the future will even elect to make and raise AI "babies" instead of biological ones!
I agree with this but because information technology advances at a exponential rate it will happen much sooner like in the next 20 to 40 years.

Quote:
And for race? What meaning does race have when you can choose whatever you want to look like, both in your virtual persona (which I think will be FAR more important in 100 years) and even your physical appearance and/or that of your children. Race (and possibly even gender) will be merely cosmetic and have little bearing on the cultural identity of mankind in the 2100's. Stormfronters will be disappointed, but I think that's a positive direction for humanity to take.
Agreed!

Quote:
Finally, there is no guarantee that we'll keep rising in technological prowess and ability. We are perilously close to self-destruction; we have the tools but not the wisdom to use them wisely yet.

We very well might not make it to 2100. 2100 may look more like 2100 BC than "Star Trek" at best. And at worst, thanks to us the highest life-forms on the planet might be deep-sea squid or cockroaches in the 2100's.

It makes me sad to think about that... We have such a bright potential future but can loose it so easily.
I am a optimist so I think we will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology