U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:06 AM

6,032 posts, read 1,468,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I'm old enough to remember when they told us we'd all have flying saucers in the garsge in a few yrs..
I was a schoolkid.
I'm retired now.

These articles like to allay the fear of death, their claims are typically false.
What's with all the fake science lately.
I wonder.
All those future predictions decades ago, failed to consider that the powers that be, would ever allow the public to have access to such technology though.

Look at when the Invention Secrecy Act was enacted...1951. Its been very effective to say the least!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 10:05 AM

3,612 posts, read 4,031,455 times
Using thought to control machines -
Brain-computer interfaces may change what it means to be human

Quote:
TECHNOLOGIES are often billed as transformative. For William Kochevar, the term is justified. Mr Kochevar is paralysed below the shoulders after a cycling accident, yet has managed to feed himself by his own hand. This remarkable feat is partly thanks to electrodes, implanted in his right arm, which stimulate muscles. But the real magic lies higher up. Mr Kochevar can control his arm using the power of thought.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:45 AM

9,813 posts, read 4,098,457 times
Nothing new here...this technology has been around for several years being used in medical science. There is no "magic" involved as your link asserts.

It is a misconception that BCIs are mind-reading devices. Brain-computer interfaces do not read minds in the sense of extracting information from unsuspecting or unwilling users but enable users to act on the world by using brain signals rather than muscles. The user and the BCI work together.

Quote:
Brain-computer interfaces (BCIs) acquire brain signals, analyze them, and translate them into commands that are relayed to output devices that carry out desired actions. BCIs do not use normal neuromuscular output pathways. The main goal of BCI is to replace or restore useful function to people disabled by neuromuscular disorders such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, cerebral palsy, stroke, or spinal cord injury.
Brain-Computer Interfaces in Medicine

Optimal pseudorandom sequence selection for online c-VEP based BCI control applications

Grizz it would be nice for you to link credible sources vs. pseudoscience/non-credible sources of information.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:58 AM

Scientists want to treat anxiety with mind-control

Quote:
Researchers from Columbia University and the University of California, San Francisco recently isolated what’s called “anxiety cells” in the brains of mice. And then they used an algae-inspired light to control the animals’ minds.

The researchers discovered the cells by sending laboratory mice through a series of anxiety-inducing trials and observing the electric signals occurring at the cellular level in specific areas of their brains.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:00 PM

9,813 posts, read 4,098,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Hmmm...Where's the peer reviewed published paper on this research?

Old 02-15-2018, 02:15 AM

3,712 posts, read 1,249,285 times
Quote:
"Scientists" want to play God.
I have followed these subjects for decades, they are no closer than 50 yrs ago.

Localization is worthless. Knowing which areas of brain correlate to motor control says nothing about mind.

Anxiety is addressed by going to the cause, not by pouring chemicals on the symptom.

I was drawn to this subject ad a teen because I had crippling anxiety, I secretly hoped I would find articles in scientific American about curing death. Eventually , after 30 yrs doh, I connected the dots. My anxiety arose from fear of mortality. There is no pill for that.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:59 PM

5 posts, read 2,414 times
Exoskeletons have been "just around the corner" since the 1950s. I seem to remember an article on a military version from back then - Pop Science? It'll be interesting if it can be pulled off in any form. I'm not holding my breath.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:22 AM
Yac

5,870 posts, read 6,279,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivan View Post
Exoskeletons have been "just around the corner" since the 1950s. I seem to remember an article on a military version from back then - Pop Science? It'll be interesting if it can be pulled off in any form. I'm not holding my breath.
Exoskeletons are actually in use, but in limited circumstances (like in factories in South Korea). The main issue is the power source - batteries are simply too heavy/expensive to be feasible and no one wants to run around with a diesel engine on their back. The idea is being held back commercially by practical limitations, but once they are surpassed (if!) I think a whole market for exosuits will open up, with prices similar to the car market.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:59 AM

I'm happy that former President Obama's BRAIN Initiative is still being funded.

National Institutes of Health | BRAIN Publication Roundup – January 2018

Quote:
Experimentally manipulating neural activity in behaving mice implicates the posterior parietal cortex in history-based decision bias

Making decisions based on past outcomes is a key adaptive behavior, but how do neural circuits track choice-outcome history and form subjective bias to inform decision-making? At the University of California, San Diego, Dr. Takaki Komiyama and colleagues explored the neural circuit mechanisms that underlie subjective, history-dependent decision bias.
The human mind is the last great frontier and I hope that all this research pays off now that gene-editing is a reality. Perhaps future gene-edited humans will be smarter than we are today because of knowledge gleaned from the BRAIN Initiative.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:51 PM

3,712 posts, read 1,249,285 times
Quote:
I'm happy that former President Obama's BRAIN Initiative is still being funded.

National Institutes of Health | BRAIN Publication Roundup – January 2018

The human mind is the last great frontier and I hope that all this research pays off now that gene-editing is a reality. Perhaps future gene-edited humans will be smarter than we are today because of knowledge gleaned from the BRAIN Initiative.
The brain initiative doesn't shed much light on mind. Most in neuroscience are materialists, the field of neuroscience itself is materialist.
All the advances have been on the fleshy bits.
Throwing money at the problem won't help.

In today's neuroscience its politically incorrect to say mind. Its all brain talk.
But materialism is a dead duck,
information (mind) is not material.
When everything is reduced to chemicals, neurons and a few mili volts... Its mindless.

But that fit Obama to a T.
He wanted to restore science to its rightful place, on its alter to be worshipped.
That's scientism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology