U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 03:06 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,468,252 times

Advertisements

The other day while looking through some magazines I stumbled across an AMAZING article in the September 2012 issue of Scientific American. The issue is titled Beyond the Limits of Science.

I was awestruck by just how much neurological science really has advanced as of late. I canít recommend finding a copy of this magazine and reading the article titled Mind in Motion strongly enough. Youíll be blown away to find out just how far neurologists have progressed!

Hereís a snippet from the article:
Quote:
Mind in Motion

In 2014 billions of viewers worldwide may remember the opening game of the World Cup in Brazil for more than just the goals scored by the Brazilian national team and the red cards given to its adversary. On that day my laboratory at Duke University, which specializes in developing technologies that allow electrical signals from the brain to control robotic limbs, plans to mark a milestone in overcoming paralysis.

If we succeed in meeting still formidable challenges, the first ceremonial kick of the World Cup game may be made by a paralyzed teenager, who, flanked by the two contending soccer teams, will saunter onto the pitch clad in a robotic body suit. This suitóor exoskeleton, as we call itówill envelop the teenager's legs. His or her first steps onto the field will be controlled by motor signals originating in the kicker's brain and transmitted wirelessly to a computer unit the size of a laptop in a backpack carried by our patient. This computer will be responsible for translating electrical brain signals into digital motor commands so that the exoskeleton can first stabilize the kicker's body weight and then induce the robotic legs to begin the back-and-forth coordinated movements of a walk over the manicured grass. Then, on approaching the ball, the kicker will visualize placing a foot in contact with it. Three hundred milliseconds later brain signals will instruct the exoskeleton's robotic foot to hook under the leather sphere, Brazilian style, and boot it aloft.
Mind in Motion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 09:14 AM

23,348 posts, read 33,457,769 times
We are on the Brink of many amazing things. I hope I last long enough to see them.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:18 PM

The article I made mention of really is eye opening in terms of how much is known about how the brain communicates with our extremities.

Thereís a story within the article about a monkey in North Carolina that communicates with and operates robotic legs in Japan via a custom program that sends his brainís electrical impulses over the Internet. No thatís not the future stuff but something thatís presently being tested. Itís truly fascinating and a must read for anyone with scientific curiosity.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:11 AM

Sorry to double post but...

Quote:
Mind in Motion
Miguel A. L. Nicolelis

ēBrain waves can now control the functioning of computer cursors, robotic arms and, soon, an entire suit: an exoskeleton that will allow a paraplegic to walk and maybe even move gracefully.
ēSending signals from the brain's outer rindlike cortex to initiate movement in the exoskeleton represents the state of the art for a number of bioelectrical technologies perfected in recent years.
ēThe 2014 World Cup in Brazil will serve as a proving ground for a brain-controlled exoskeleton if, as expected, a handicapped teenager delivers the ceremonial opening kick.
If you should want to read the whole article without hunting down a hard copy of the magazine I believe you can by signing in here.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:49 AM

14,864 posts, read 44,226,886 times
Exoskeletons have been "just around the corner" since the 1950s. I seem to remember an article on a military version from back then - Pop Science? It'll be interesting if it can be pulled off in any form. I'm not holding my breath.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:21 PM

Itís amazing to me how so few people really now about the miraculous advancements made in neuroscience and bioelectrical engineering over just the last few years. Thatís why Iím so insistent that people take the time to read the article Iíve linked to. Itís a great way to expand your mind.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:10 AM

Maybe it's just easier to watch a video.

Mind Control Monkey Moves Robot in Japan - YouTube

Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 AM

26,348 posts, read 74,560,180 times
I'd be happy if they could get rid of the common cold, eliminate flies and mosquitoes, and provide an expensive, effective way for people to eat whatever they want and not get fat.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'd be happy if they could get rid of the common cold, eliminate flies and mosquitoes, and provide an expensive, effective way for people to eat whatever they want and not get fat.
Speculation is circulating that neurologists may soon be able to address sleeping disorders without resorting to drugs. This is extremely promising as insomnia is now reaching ďepidemicĒ proportions here in the United States.

Sorry, I haven't heard of a remedy for the common cold but if you could be mind controlled to eat less would you really want to be? I mean at that point would you even be yourself anymore?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:12 PM

15,924 posts, read 14,988,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Sorry, I haven't heard of a remedy for the common cold but if you could be mind controlled to eat less would you really want to be? I mean at that point would you even be yourself anymore?
When one was incapable of saying one simple word.......

NO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology