U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 07:33 AM

6,209 posts, read 6,588,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I doubt if there is much conduit flow presently on Mars, particularly if the conduits are directly connected to the surface. However, I don't doubt that diffuse flow is present at depth.
Several years ago I saw two before and after photos of a martian mountain range taken from space from an orbiting satellite. The before and after photos where taken several years apart. The latter photo showed what looked like a flow that briefly emerged from the side of the mountain, spread out and then stop before it reached the bottom of the mountain.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 07:51 AM

26,935 posts, read 38,183,267 times
orogenicman, not trying to be a smart ass here (that's been covered nicely), but every time I see the title of this thread I wonder if it's WalMart?

/Silliness

I'm guessing that there are so many pictures coming back that not all of them are being looked at closely. I heard an estimate of years, if not decades, required to research all the information NASA is receiving.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:07 AM

3,579 posts, read 2,649,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Several years ago I saw two before and after photos of a martian mountain range taken from space from an orbiting satellite. The before and after photos where taken several years apart. The latter photo showed what looked like a flow that briefly emerged from the side of the mountain, spread out and then stop before it reached the bottom of the mountain.
If a confined diffuse flow aquifer, under pressure, is suddenly released, say, by a Mars quake that causes an avalanche on a crater wall , water could flow briefly as an artesian spring before the Martian atmosphere causes it to sublimate, and then freeze.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:09 AM

3,579 posts, read 2,649,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
orogenicman, not trying to be a smart ass here (that's been covered nicely), but every time I see the title of this thread I wonder if it's WalMart?

/Silliness

I'm guessing that there are so many pictures coming back that not all of them are being looked at closely. I heard an estimate of years, if not decades, required to research all the information NASA is receiving.
Somebody looks at every image that comes down. I found the one in the OP in about ten mintues of browsing. Keep in mind that I'm not criticising NASA. I just don't see how they could have missed this one, assuming they did miss it. I say that because I've not seen anyone else mention this photo in any press releases.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:14 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,167,642 times
Read Bradbury's "Martian Chronicles".........

Old 09-29-2012, 08:29 AM

6,209 posts, read 6,588,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Somebody looks at every image that comes down. I found the one in the OP in about ten mintues of browsing. Keep in mind that I'm not criticising NASA. I just don't see how they could have missed this one, assuming they did miss it. I say that because I've not seen anyone else mention this photo in any press releases.
A few days ago I received a bulletin about this--
http://www.space.com/17806-mars-wate...?cid=co3941334

Old 09-29-2012, 12:28 PM

4,990 posts, read 7,770,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
A few days ago I received a bulletin about this--
Newfound Streambed Latest Evidence for Wet Ancient Mars | Space.com
The video below show rocks that display evidence of what is thought to be from ancient water flow at Gale Crater. What suggests water flow is that the rocks (pebbles) are rounded. While this is on Mars, it is also pertains to geology which can be seen on Earth.

NASA's Mars Curiosity Rover Report #8 - YouTube

Here's a more extensive report.

NASA's Curiosity Rover Finds Old Streambed on Mars - YouTube

Old 10-05-2012, 02:08 AM

10,715 posts, read 22,350,265 times
Well time to Gear up for a few a manned Mission to the Moon and start ship that carry supplies to mars and tthen set thenm down so they have enough supplies to last a misssion that far out and solve some problems of getting there and back by figuring out how to create artifical gravity even if we ony create 50%-60% of the graviry on earth atleast they will not lose as much muscle and bone density.

while were at it maybe see if we can get VASMIR or any other type of nuclear powered plasma based engine that uses magnetic confinment to push the plasma out to create thrust and notfigure out how to not damage the Nozzle on engine due to the exteme amount of heat plame creates and increase the speed and cut the time it takes to get there

thhen if we do those things it is even more of a real possiblity to man landing on another planet for the first time and then eat a Mars bar on Mars. Since I bet would pay alot of money to sponser that flight due to the amount of publicity they would get and NASA needs all the extra funding that is donated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology