Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:37 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,616,242 times

Advertisements

Don't look now but "Skynet" has just become self aware. The "Terminator" is now very real!

Professor: Drones Will Soon Be Able To Kill During War Without Human Assistance « CBS DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 08:51 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,130,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Don't look now but "Skynet" has just become self aware. The "Terminator" is now very real!

Professor: Drones Will Soon Be Able To Kill During War Without Human Assistance « CBS DC

I believe the US Navy has been testing the X-47B......

Navy Conducts Pax River's First Flight of X-47B Unmanned Aircraft

And the Air Force already has an unmanned space plane that might or might not be outfitted with weapons...

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012...-space-command

The US Navy is also testing USV's and UUV's....

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_n...urface-vessels

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.o...dVehicles.aspx

Last edited by plwhit; 10-01-2012 at 09:00 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 09:58 PM

23,541 posts, read 70,002,536 times
Is it just me, or does the tail of that AF vehicle look like a cartoon face with an ahh-ooh-gaa horn nose and big ears?

Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Is it just me, or does the tail of that AF vehicle look like a cartoon face with an ahh-ooh-gaa horn nose and big ears?
You've had one too many beers harry...

Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,608,708 times
If a Roomba can clean my house w/o any intervention, why not a drone to clean a desert? Do you really think a pilot who drops a stream of bombs at 20k ft really cares or controls what they hit? Nope. Plug in some coordinates and parameters and let it do its thing. If it comes under fire and is damaged then it should self destruct.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
If a Roomba can clean my house w/o any intervention, why not a drone to clean a desert?
Boy now there's an apples to apples comparison

Quote:
Do you really think a pilot who drops a stream of bombs at 20k ft really cares or controls what they hit?
Nope.
Ahhh ignorance at it's finest.....

Pilots don't drop bombs, the radar navigator drops the bombs:

Quote:
The crew consists of a Pilot, Co-Pilot, Radar Navigator (bombardier,) Navigator, Electronic Warfare Officer
B-52

So you think The crews of the B-52's are bloodthirsty killers.... gotcha...

Quote:
Plug in some coordinates and parameters and let it do its thing.
So it's not you think the crew of the B-52 is bloodthirsty, you think all Americans are bloodthirsty killers...

Sounds like you put fingers in motion but forgot to put brain in gear or you are just clueless as to what comprises modern strategic bombing and the state of current weapons technology.....

Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Boy now there's an apples to apples comparison

Ahhh ignorance at it's finest.....

Pilots don't drop bombs, the radar navigator drops the bombs:

B-52

So you think The crews of the B-52's are bloodthirsty killers.... gotcha...

So it's not you think the crew of the B-52 is bloodthirsty, you think all Americans are bloodthirsty killers...

Sounds like you put fingers in motion but forgot to put brain in gear or you are just clueless as to what comprises modern strategic bombing and the state of current weapons technology.....
Being an ex-Marine and heavily working in the technology field using a Roomba, even though its comical, is a fair comparison to other technology. I've modified a Roombas sensors to play with my dogs. Its sensors react to my dogs actions with minor adjustments to its software algorithms.

Nowhere in my statement did I say that the crew of a B52 is bloodthirsty and strongly request you apoligize for your insinuation and personal attack. That being said and being on the ground I've seen what they've hit and what they've missed. Many pilots never see the ground damage that they do. They see an infrared film and thats about it. Current technology allows pilots to hit their points pretty concisely now, but does not take into account the flying debris in multiple directions do to civilians. I prefer the manned drones the Israelis use and the armaments they use that barely blow up a car yielding extremely less collateral damage.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Being an ex-Marine and heavily working in the technology field using a Roomba, even though its comical, is a fair comparison to other technology. I've modified a Roombas sensors to play with my dogs. Its sensors react to my dogs actions with minor adjustments to its software algorithms.

Nowhere in my statement did I say that the crew of a B52 is bloodthirsty and strongly request you apoligize for your insinuation and personal attack. That being said and being on the ground I've seen what they've hit and what they've missed. Many pilots never see the ground damage that they do. They see an infrared film and thats about it. Current technology allows pilots to hit their points pretty concisely now, but does not take into account the flying debris in multiple directions do to civilians. I prefer the manned drones the Israelis use and the armaments they use that barely blow up a car yielding extremely less collateral damage.
Not gonna happen, I stand by what I said and let what you posted speak for itself:

Quote:
Do you really think a pilot who drops a stream of bombs at 20k ft really cares or controls what they hit?
Please post when and where the last time the United States utilized B-52's to release "a stream of bombs from 20K feet" on a city......

Old 10-02-2012, 09:48 PM

Hmmmm dead silence to my question....

Old 10-03-2012, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Hmmmm dead silence to my question....
Since YOU attached the B-52s to a high altitude flight and not I, The B-52s were low altitude bombers. So for B-52s themselves WW2, Vietnam, Iraq(91), and Yugoslavia come to mind. Currently B-52s are large flying Moving Trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology