Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2012, 02:24 PM

28 posts, read 40,067 times

Advertisements

I enjoy surfing the internet and using electronics as much as the other person, but I now feel stumped and depressed over it. My question is, what is the good of online stores progressing like Amazon if it causes brick-and-mortar and regular books to lose their business? Sounds like a boring road ahead for me. What about Netflix making DVD and video stores lose their business? Boring life ahead. Cities? Settlements of mankind? There are more examples I could name. What is the eventual good that is going to come out of this that can appeal to me? I mean, if this is supposedly an inevitable progress, there must be at least some good to come from it, right? Because in the short term at least, I see nothing good out of physical stores losing business and customers, and a virtual society overall. This being said, the fact that people don't want to give it up prove the point of my depression even further. I know things were always like this, but at this state all I feel is stumped about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 04:20 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Eventually, we will be replaced by intelligent eco-friendly Roombas. The upside is that the world will be clean.

(We will all have our virtual selves living in a Dell 6,000, and no longer have need of bodies.)

The purpose of people is more people.
The purpose of government is more government.
The purpose of technology is more technology.
(see a pattern?)

There have been societies that purposely shunned technologies. The Japanese made guns then legislated them out of business until the Europeans showed up with cannons. The society with the greatest technologies generally have the greatest range of strategies and generally win. Whether or not that is "good" depends upon your point of view.

Eventually...
We may understand how the universe was created.
We may understand all the variations in man and the human genome.
We may be able to create intelligent beings, and possibly even create universes.
We may find dimensions such as space and time irrelevant.
We may be able to make really good scotch.

It is all a journey. Enjoy the scenery as it passes by.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:51 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
I love my computer but I also love my paperbacks. I'll continue to support the stores that sell paperbacks and I'll continue to give my paperbacks to other people, as in small town libraries or to soldiers.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:51 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashpa View Post
I enjoy surfing the internet and using electronics as much as the other person, but I now feel stumped and depressed over it. My question is, what is the good of online stores progressing like Amazon if it causes brick-and-mortar and regular books to lose their business? Sounds like a boring road ahead for me. What about Netflix making DVD and video stores lose their business? Boring life ahead. Cities? Settlements of mankind? There are more examples I could name. What is the eventual good that is going to come out of this that can appeal to me? I mean, if this is supposedly an inevitable progress, there must be at least some good to come from it, right? Because in the short term at least, I see nothing good out of physical stores losing business and customers, and a virtual society overall. This being said, the fact that people don't want to give it up prove the point of my depression even further. I know things were always like this, but at this state all I feel is stumped about it.
*sigh* you'd better end your misery now rather than living your life bored to death because of the Internet....

-or-

You could do the old fashioned thing of go outside, take a walk in the park, play a game or two of Bocce, make friends at one of the old age homes, volunteer to be a big brother or sister, become one of Santa's helpers......

Old 10-07-2012, 11:54 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Maybe if the brick-and-mortar stores would concentrate on taking care of customers instead of jerking them around they wouldn't go out of business...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/26394115-post1.html

Old 10-07-2012, 05:16 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
You could go out into the world and realize there is more to life than just buying things?

Personally I would love if buying stuff was hidden inside of my computer where I can at least turn it off from time to time instead of having ads for this or that broadcast 24/7 on every human medium possible wherever my eyes or ears happen to be. Then the warehouses could be packed out of sight in the industrial districts and the big boxes with their parking lagoons could be farms, parks or even natural open space. I know I wouldn't miss them!

Old 10-07-2012, 11:38 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
The internet brings a world of information to you, and you complain about it

Guess you're a glass is half-empty kinda guy..... that's your problem and only you can change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology