Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 02:34 AM

142 posts, read 316,012 times

Advertisements

I mean like really ?

since Hollywood has poisoned the mind of many people , they believe the world is going to end on December 21, 2012 .. I personally believe that is Bullsh*t ; how you can just say " the world is going to end" on a random day just because the mayan calendar ends .. i dont recall having the calendar end at 2010 or 2011... never did the mayans link judgement day to a calendar ending . Alot of these doomsday prophets are just looking for a quick buck by just saying the worlds going to end on [example: 10/7/2012] Look at Harold Camping , that fool ! The supposed "Rapture" of May 21 , i was in a parking lot waiting for this so called end .. it makes you just want to go bananas on the foolish minds of some people.

feel free to leave me any comments , agreeing or disagreeing im here to listen ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 04:46 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
To answer your questions truthfully, yes. Some people believe the world will end on Dec. 21. I'd guess that's a only a handful who really believe though, as evidenced by the small number of people acting like the have only two months left to live. For most it's a clever thing to say when something unexpected happens.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 AM

21,122 posts, read 19,707,707 times
No, but there is a benefit to having the topic come up. And that is the fact that the world could end (or almost end) at any time and we should all be cognizant of that and live accordingly.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:17 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx4Life View Post
I mean like really ?

since Hollywood has poisoned the mind of many people , they believe the world is going to end on December 21, 2012 .. I personally believe that is Bullsh*t ; how you can just say " the world is going to end" on a random day just because the mayan calendar ends .. i dont recall having the calendar end at 2010 or 2011... never did the mayans link judgement day to a calendar ending . Alot of these doomsday prophets are just looking for a quick buck by just saying the worlds going to end on [example: 10/7/2012] Look at Harold Camping , that fool ! The supposed "Rapture" of May 21 , i was in a parking lot waiting for this so called end .. it makes you just want to go bananas on the foolish minds of some people.

feel free to leave me any comments , agreeing or disagreeing im here to listen ..
You are, of course, completely correct.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:23 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
I think the only difference at the end of this year, compared to others, will be a small spike in suicide rates, just as there was at the end of 1999 (Y2K bug, anyone? Lol).

Old 10-06-2012, 12:26 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
I think that would be "minds" not "mind", although it does give rise to some interesting Jungian speculation...

The world comes to an end for your (carnal or vulgar) consciousness when you die. If you die on Dec 21, then they got it right.

Short of suddenly coming into the beam of a neutron star, chances of a global event that sudden are slim. Besides, if EVERYTHING stops suddenly, it won't much matter anyway, will it? No kids to worry about, no legacy to be concerned over, no worry about the fate of humanity or your pet rabbit.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:29 PM

861 posts, read 1,249,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx4Life View Post
I mean like really ?

Exactly what world time zone are you talking about?

Old 10-06-2012, 12:39 PM

861 posts, read 1,249,599 times
I am a recovering Christian. Several years ago I attended a church service where the pastor used a local paper as a prop in demonstrating and supporting his claim that the rapture was near, so near that we, the congregation, should start getting our affairs in order. Two hours after the service, I was at Lowe's when I happened to run into the pastor, who had a window shade in his hand. He told me how he'd decided to move up from the good grade to the better, more expensive one, which had a 10 year warranty. I told him he had wasted his money. He gave me a befuddled look as I turned and walked away. It's now been over 10 years since that incident, the warranty on his window shade has since expired as has his hysterical claim- a claim which sent our family out of his church. These frauds should be exposed for what they are- parasites upon society.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:14 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
I am a recovering Christian. Several years ago I attended a church service where the pastor used a local paper as a prop in demonstrating and supporting his claim that the rapture was near, so near that we, the congregation, should start getting our affairs in order. Two hours after the service, I was at Lowe's when I happened to run into the pastor, who had a window shade in his hand. He told me how he'd decided to move up from the good grade to the better, more expensive one, which had a 10 year warranty. I told him he had wasted his money. He gave me a befuddled look as I turned and walked away. It's now been over 10 years since that incident, the warranty on his window shade has since expired as has his hysterical claim- a claim which sent our family out of his church. These frauds should be exposed for what they are- parasites upon society.
*SNORT* Dang it, you made me do a spit take.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:50 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,556 times
I believe the bible tells us the world will end but doesn't tell us when. If I tell you that I think it will end on December 21, 2012 I would be claiming to be a prophet and giving all the readers on this forum a prophecy. I can't do that as I'm not a prophet.

So be it if the world does end on that day. We know we all will at sometime die and there's really nothing we can do to stop it so I'm sure not going to worry about it. I don't intend to prepare myself any more than I would any day of the year. I have been close to death many times but I'm still here and I must say I'm thankful for that extra time on earth. It prepared me like nothing else could have. I believe in heaven and earth and when it's time, I will leave it happy that I had any time on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology