U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:59 PM

15,134 posts, read 8,222,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The biggest threat of science to "true believers" is simply that science is not immutable. They require that there be only one "TRUTH" that can be memorized instead of thought about. Thought frightens some people as does change.

The joy of science is that it can change based on observation of the actual situation. If new or more accurate information is obtained that conflicts with existing theory then the theory changes. The greatest example is the description of the great unconformity discovered by Hutton. Once he thought up an explanation that suited the evidence it was obvious that the earth had to be many orders of magnitude older than 6,000 years.

Science accepted this after much argument and more evidence but the Faithful could and did not. As they cannot accept anything but what they are told by some preacher they assign any scientific evidence of method as an instrument of the Devil and sourced straight from Hell.

See there is some science in this thread.
Rubbish! There are & have been many well-educated Christians. I'm one of them, & I've given much thought to my beliefs and why I have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 08:59 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times
Your rubbish is my reality. We live on a 4.5 billion year old planet where self replicating chemistry started about 600 million years or more ago. I do not need any magic to get life from then to now. Just time and evolution.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 10 days ago)

13,367 posts, read 11,871,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Bible believing Christians (as they like to call themselves) reject anything that contradicts what is written in the bible. If the bible says six days for creation, then it was six days for creation. That seems like a pretty consistent argument even if it's not a very compelling one.
I agree that some Christians think that way. However, not all Christians believe that the bible should be taken literally in every aspect. In fact, there are two creation stories in the bible. They can't both be true. The bible isn't absolute truth; it is man's best grasp of truth at the time(s) it was written.

Much of what is written in science books today will be disproven in coming years. That does not mean that science books today are based on "magic". A person can be neither a good Christian nor a good scientist if they are so narrow minded that they reject whatever does not conform to preconceived notions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or