Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 4,336 times

Advertisements

I live in on bushland and have a swimming pool that continuously fills with leaves, dust and pollen. I would like to try and cover the pool with a shade cloth, mostly due to the cost and volume of debris the pool is affected by. Can anyone tell me what effect this could have on solar heating of the water? Most shade cloths have UV ratings but no IR ratings and most posts I have read indicate that UV does not affect heat contact. Any serious response or link greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
The pool will be significantly cooler. In south Florida, our pool was open to the sun, the neighbor's was in a screen enclosure and was always cooler. If yours is a standard in-ground pool, invest in a Jet-vac or other robotic pool cleaner. Ours had nearby Poinciana trees constantly dropping leaves into it, and that vac was the only tool that kept things clean. They are about $700 or more now, but worth every penny.

We upgraded to a flowing year-round stream. What happens in the stream stays in the stream (or gets flushed downstream after heavy rain).

Old 10-11-2012, 12:48 AM

Default Your reply

Harry, thanks very much for your advice. I think you must have a really neat set up with a stream incorporated! Greetings from downunder

Old 10-11-2012, 10:30 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Is there any sort of clear covering that would let solar rays through and still filter out leaves and debris? A plastic of some sort, maybe?

Old 10-11-2012, 02:11 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Greenhouse plastic. It is noisy in the wind and subject to being ripped off in high winds and so on. (Builder's plastic doesn't have the transparency. Painter drops don't have the UV blockers and will fall apart in a couple months.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 AM

That's a great thought, thanks. I'll have to look into it further. I went to "Eden" in Devon, UK, that sort of thing would be great but the $$$$. Thanks for your idea.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:31 AM

Thanks for the thought mate. A directional, shedding spiders web might be a great MIT project. The greenhouse plastic sounds good too. I feel a little silly posing such a simplish question so I really appreciate the reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology