Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 10:02 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,295,128 times

Advertisements

If so how much different. Has pictures actually been taken of DNA? Any links or info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 11:52 PM

72,812 posts, read 62,121,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
If so how much different. Has pictures actually been taken of DNA? Any links or info?
Why do you ask? I'm curious.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:47 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,870,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
No. DNA is a molecule and looks pretty much the same from single celled organism all the way through gigantic blue whales. Many pictures have been taken but it is too small to be viewed through conventional (i.e. visible light) methods, so those pictures will tend to be representations of what it looks like rather than what your eyes would see. If you're interested, just do a google image search for the terms "DNA" and "TEM" or "DNA" and "AFM".

As for the pattern of DNA, even that isn't too much different among various races. DNA has given scientists the ability to see that while some very specific patters can somewhat separate traditional races, the sociological idea of race doesn't have a particularly good scientific analog.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:15 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,713,960 times
NO. Any fertile human male can do any fertile human female and make babies that can grow up to make babies too. That is the definition of a species... And we ARE a single species.

The proof is here:

Human Genome Project Information

Last edited by Chango; 10-23-2012 at 09:19 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
NO. Any fertile human male can do any fertile human female and make babies that can grow up to make babies too. That is the definition of a species... And we ARE a single species.

The proof is here:

Human Genome Project Information
But are we a polytypic species? That is two or more subspecies.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
But are we a polytypic species? That is two or more subspecies.
Can you prove that?

Old 10-25-2012, 12:28 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Can you prove that?
I guess it depends on what certain terms entail. How clearly definitive are these lines between genera, species, subspecies, etc. I only ask the question - it seems like a good case could be made for subspecies.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I guess it depends on what certain terms entail. How clearly definitive are these lines between genera, species, subspecies, etc. I only ask the question - it seems like a good case could be made for subspecies.
I'm talking about human beings.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:55 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm talking about human beings.
So am I

I asked a question about whether there are subspecies within the human species and you responded with 'can you prove that' - I then said it really depends upon how we define those terms. I have no idea why you would respond with the above?

Old 10-25-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
So am I

I asked a question about whether there are subspecies within the human species and you responded with 'can you prove that' - I then said it really depends upon how we define those terms. I have no idea why you would respond with the above?
I consider "Neanderthals" a subspecies. Everyone one this earth is of the same species, just different ethnicities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology