U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 09:28 AM

25,454 posts, read 23,273,196 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just purchased a Garmin Nuvii 2555.
When I program a destination, and take a wrong turn, it does not recalculate the route...it just keeps on sending me on the route I designated? Am I doing something wrong with the set up perhaps.
And by the way, the directions you get with it, are less then intuitive?

Any suggestions would be appreicated..

Thank you
Creme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 09:30 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
How do you know it didn't recalculate the route? Is your position being updated? What happens when you deviate from the original route?

Get your money back and use your cell phone with google maps.

Garmin Navteq (at least the several I have used) doesn't factor or deliver street traffic.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How do you know it didn't recalculate the route? Is your position being updated? What happens when you deviate from the original route?

Get your money back and use your cell phone with google maps.

Garmin Navteq (at least the several I have used) doesn't factor or deliver street traffic.

I know b/c I purposely drove in the wrong direction, and it keeps telling me to turn, and I'm not there, I pulled over?

I do not have a cell phone and do not want one.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 AM

26,886 posts, read 38,133,169 times
If you drove in the wrong direction and it told yo to turn then it is working properly. If it didn't tell you to turn then it's not working right.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:41 PM

5,916 posts, read 9,053,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If you drove in the wrong direction and it told yo to turn then it is working properly. If it didn't tell you to turn then it's not working right.
This^^^. It'll eventually try to get you to make a u-turn (or equivalent) to get back on its chosen route. It can be astoundingly stubborn about having you get back onto its route before it'll give up and recalculate the route.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,078,504 times
It will only give you the "recalculating" term once its given up on trying to get you to turn around which i've seen it take a few hundred miles to get the idea i aint going her way..
Great device for finding your way around unfamiliar cities or complex interchanges,for long distance interstate traveling its rather useless for highway directions as you usually know which interstate you'll be on but then its forte becomes finding particular restaurants,shopping centers,banks etc.
Great device but do have an overview of where you are going as its basically a logical idiot and can really take you to some unintended destinations if you are too complacent.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
It will only give you the "recalculating" term once its given up on trying to get you to turn around which i've seen it take a few hundred miles to get the idea i aint going her way..
Great device for finding your way around unfamiliar cities or complex interchanges,for long distance interstate traveling its rather useless for highway directions as you usually know which interstate you'll be on but then its forte becomes finding particular restaurants,shopping centers,banks etc.
Great device but do have an overview of where you are going as its basically a logical idiot and can really take you to some unintended destinations if you are too complacent.
Personally, I'm sorry I wasted the money on it, it is in fact as you say, and I'm planning a highway trip over Thanksgiving. It doesn't give up and recalculate which is really horrible to do...especially if you don't know where your going. I did do a map quest, however, I paid money for an item that to me is almost worthless....do you have any suggestions, as I'm not particularly savy with this to say the least....?

And what is up with the manuals any more? They are useless!!!!!!!

thanks for your reply...greatly appreciate.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:59 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,078,504 times
Maybe the new version has dispensed with the redundant term recalculating and just does it automatically. great little device for programing in addresses of hotels or destination addresses. agreed it is rather a useless bit of technology as i only use mine once or twice a year as the rest of the time i know where i'm going./I wouldnt give up on yours just yet as you may just be just unfamiliar with its operating parameters. you may want to stop by the Garmin forum and talk to some of the GPS gurus about your problems.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:22 PM

26,886 posts, read 38,133,169 times
What jambo101 says is the best course. You're in a fairly generic forum asking questions about a specific device.

https://forums.garmin.com/forum.php

Old 11-03-2012, 09:39 AM

Thanks very much everyone....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or