Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 10:28 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times

Advertisements

This goes to show American inventiveness is alive and well in the good 'ol USA

Jonathan Dandrow has developed noPhoto, which renders the pix snapped by those revenue-generating robo-cams useless. The technology behind noPhoto is fairly simple. At the top of the gadget, which doubles as a license plate frame, there’s an optical flash trigger that detects the flash of the traffic-light camera. That trigger sets off one or both xenon flashes in the sides of the noPhoto, so when the traffic-light camera opens its shutter, there’s too much light and the picture of your license plate is overexposed. Big Brother can’t read your plate.

License Plate Frame Foils Irksome Traffic-Light Cameras | Raw File | Wired.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 10:14 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
That would only work at night. A simpler device would be a polarizing screen that would allow parts of the plate to become visible in sequence, and cycle through them at about 1/5th of a second increments. A camera would only be able to pick up a portion of the license plate, even though it would be completely visible to the eye, due to persistence of vision.

There are passive screens already on the market, but LEOs get ticked when they see them.

All the above is pretty irrelevant to me, since we live country and save gas by driving within the limit. What I would find interesting is a device that would be like the one you mentioned, but instead of obscuring the plate would flash an advertisement into the camera.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:19 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Better yet just have a device that covers the plates as you go through the intersection - once through uncover it. We'll call it InvisiPlate

Old 10-24-2012, 02:09 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
You cannot use anything that could possibly make it hard to read for a police officer because if a police officer is having hard time reading your plate, he will pull you over.
That is probably why they made it illegal to use a plate frame for vehicles in AZ. I was entertaining the idea of a layer (film) of some sort of a chemical where it made things illegible upon flashing.
Like some sort of an oil. Heck you can even use mud or sticky dirt to make one of the characters on your plate look different. Cops can't say anything because it could have naturally occurred.
I am sure there are ways to circumvent this but for the most part I would just go along with the posted speed signs plus 5mph. I figured, AZ already has really crappy, ignorant and crazy drivers so why risk it.

Those things are nothing but another source of revenue. Sad part is, majority of the penalties people pay goes to the private company that owns and operates them.
Mainly, this private company will brainwash the local government into installing and using them, by selling them on the idea of average X amount of money per month, etc. Of course their cut would be like 60%-80% claiming cost of operating (material, maintenance, support, etc.). Both that company and the local government would like residents to believe it is for their safety blah blah yet if a camera at certain location(s) would ever to stop generating enough revenue, it/they would get taken down after a short while...what happened to the public safety? Did that intersection became safer all of a sudden? Of course not but amazing how majority of the public would actually buy into this scam and support it vehemently.

I lived in Phoenix, AZ and what an utter annoyance they were. People driving the speed limit would slam their brakes upon detecting one making it super fun for people behind them. those photo radar cameras never seemed to have made things any safer, people were still running the red lights and speeding, only to slow down at those known specific locations. It was a fake "safety" illusion, it didn't make anything safer nor helped, any of those idiots running red lights or driving like there was no tomorrow, become better drivers.

Much like most traffic violations, they make nothing better or safer, they are designed merely to generate revenue. That is why when you get cited, you are guilty until you prove otherwise, exact opposite of regular crime cases.

The so-called rumors are true, without your signature, they are not enforceable meaning if you do not pay one, they have to serve you using a individual as a courier who delivers the papers to your door and gets a signature after confirming the ID of the person. If I am not mistaken, they would have 120 days to deliver (serve) the papers otherwise, case gets automatically dismissed.

If you are not the registered owner or if you were wearing a hat/cap that covered your face enough to make face recognition impossible, case dismissed. If you looked that or had the sun visor down and it covered your face, case dismissed.

I had 2 of those, kept the pictures as souvenirs. They probably sent someone to serve me but first time, I was at another address and the second time, living in a different state. Was my DL suspended? Nope!

Old 10-28-2012, 06:37 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Personally I'm in favor of photo enforcement.

I'm sick and tired of folks just "getting by" and making people who have a green arrow wait while some doofus whose impatience is apparently more important than dozens who are waiting to get by.

Good for those who get tickets in the mail from cameras! I ran a light once, very blatantly, and I was more than happy to pay the ticket because guess what? I actually broke the law, and they caught me.

The shamelessness and stupid petty selfishness of people today sickens me.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Now that's a technology I welcome.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
We can't even hand a paper ballot and a pencil to a voter within 4 hours of ariving in a polling place a hundred years after the date of the election has been scheduled. So much for American know-how and can-do and technology genius in action.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Default Traffic Cameras

I agree with eskercurve on this. I have almost been injured by idiots running red lights at intersections several times. I want these guys to pay a premium for their selfish and hazardous acts.

I do not have the location but there is a clip of some outrageous actions captured at Albuquerque NM intersections by the traffic cameras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology