U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 01:18 AM

763 posts, read 678,279 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
It's been interesting me for a while. With the rise of data and comms becoming a giant player in the financial transactions, how long before finance is done solely through electronic transaction?
What would the responses be should this ever occur? What assumptions would need to be made for this to actually happen? What kind of effect would this have in terms of truly maximizing federal revenue collection? How long before it actually happens and how would it be regulated/made fair (impossible to cheat the system)? Is it even viable with all the opportunities hackers may take to alter the financial landscape?
It's just a hypothetical question. I'm unsure of the implications but was hoping someone with more knowledge than I on the subject would be able to give some insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 03:12 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,438,562 times
Unless it's replaced by an untraceable electronic counterpart it isn't going anywhere.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 26 days ago)

13,442 posts, read 11,941,620 times
I hope this will happen. I hate cash money. It is dirty and it stinks. Who knows where it has been? I use credit card for everything unless it is not accepted. People could also use a debit card or some type of "cash card" that would be issued by banks. Security measures could be incorporated into the cards: photo ID on the card itself, PIN numbers, etc.

This system would greatly reduce the number of robberies.

I'm not sure what you mean by maximizing federal revenue collection. People don't pay taxes in cash.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,438,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I hope this will happen. I hate cash money. It is dirty and it stinks.
'that may be true but every time you make a purchase store is charged a fee, my buddy owns a small hardware store and he has every nut and bolt under the sun. He'll sell these singly at a very large profit but it might only be 25 or 50 cents to the consumer. He's save money if he gave it to them instead of a CC and that is one of the fundamental problems with CC's. You pay those fees as do people paying cash because it's folded into the cost of the product.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by maximizing federal revenue collection. People don't pay taxes in cash.
There is no record of a cash transaction, that $500 worth of fireworks suddenly becomes $400 when you show them hundred dollar bills.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 PM

278 posts, read 246,868 times
My question is: How long until we no longer use any currency! Since, money is used to wrongfully subjugate and control the masses, I welcome that ideological advancement!
But to answer your question-when it does happen, it will be too soon! Big Brother will have an even shorter leash on us!

Old 11-17-2012, 05:17 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,227,916 times
Didn't bitcoin already try this? It was untraceable and anonymous. Perfect. Except when someone stole millions of dollars worth of bitcoins, there was no way to trace it or reverse it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology