Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:49 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,827 times

Advertisements

Humans may be gradually losing intelligence, according to a new study.

The study, published today (Nov. 12) in the journal Trends in Genetics, argues that humans lost the evolutionary pressure to be smart once we started living in dense agricultural settlements several thousand years ago.

"The development of our intellectual abilities and the optimization of thousands of intelligence genes probably occurred in relatively non-verbal, dispersed groups of peoples [living] before our ancestors emerged from Africa," said study author Gerald Crabtree, a researcher at Stanford University, in a statement.

Since then it's all been downhill, Crabtree contends.
The theory isn't without critics, with one scientist contacted by LiveScience suggesting that rather than losing our smarts, humans have just diversified them with various types of intelligence today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 04:50 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times
When a study says something dumb like this I really question the study:

Quote:
Early humans lived or died by their spatial abilities, such as quickly making a shelter or spearing a saber-toothed tiger. Nowadays, though almost everyone has the spatial ability to do ostensibly simple tasks like washing dishes or mowing the lawn
It doesn't take much intelligence to make a shelter nor to kill an animal....

Washing dishes (decisions)

~ Hot or cold water
~ Teflon or steel pan(s)
~ Use Dobie pad or sponge
~ Air dry or towel dry
~ Use light pressure on glasses (crystal) or heavy (plastic dried milk)

It's not so much losing intelligence as being dumbed down by the school system....

Old 11-13-2012, 06:39 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
When a study says something dumb like this I really question the study:

It doesn't take much intelligence to make a shelter nor to kill an animal....

Washing dishes (decisions)

~ Hot or cold water
~ Teflon or steel pan(s)
~ Use Dobie pad or sponge
~ Air dry or towel dry
~ Use light pressure on glasses (crystal) or heavy (plastic dried milk)

It's not so much losing intelligence as being dumbed down by the school system....
True, but it takes a little more brain size and so forth for higher thinking.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:13 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
I can agree with the idea that -as a whole- humans are getting dumber, due to the pressures for particular types of intelligence becoming less... AND... the increasing survival of large numbers of the non-fittest. I'm not talking about eugenics, just current numbers.

In the past, the kid who ate a poisonous berry died. Today, the same kid will live, due to medical intervention. Take all the variations of that, add them up, and the chances are pretty good that if you took all people alive today, measured intelligence based on ability to survive in stress situations, and compared that to the humans alive during early attempts at civilization, the ancestors would win out.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:14 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,454,174 times
I am not even going to read that as it is obvious that humans are becoming more intelligent. My smart phone gives me all the knowledge of the human race something that no one had before now and it will only advance exponentially in the future.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I am not even going to read that as it is obvious that humans are becoming more intelligent. My smart phone gives me all the knowledge of the human race something that no one had before now and it will only advance exponentially in the future.
Precisely. The smartphone is becoming more intelligent. It takes less brainpower for you to find a solution to a problem. The size of the brain has been shrinking in recent generations.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:47 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,454,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Precisely. The smartphone is becoming more intelligent. It takes less brainpower for you to find a solution to a problem. The size of the brain has been shrinking in recent generations.
No it makes me more intelligent and in the coming years when we merge with the technology we will even be more intelligent. At some point in the next 10-20 years we will all be as smart as Einstein hell we will actually be smarter then he was.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:17 PM

R - i - g - h - t.
Gotta go now, my phone is ringing...

Old 11-14-2012, 09:30 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times
Could it be like we see here in America that our children are not challenged in school or at home, geeks are laughed at and societies intelligence standards are being lowered year by year so as not to disenfranchise and traumatise any American child...

Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,984,677 times
Idiocracy. A bad movie with a great premise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology