U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2012, 05:30 AM

2,777 posts, read 2,910,928 times

Advertisements

Dunno why I thought of this, but since I did its been bugging me...

At 1600 I leave Point A travelling faster than light and arrive at point B at 1605. The light from starting point A arrives at point B at 1606.

My question is, what happens to me in that one minute gap at my final destination while I wait for the light from my start point to catch up with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 11:06 AM

16,845 posts, read 51,301,408 times
Starbucks?

Old 11-14-2012, 01:07 PM

3,738 posts, read 6,215,220 times
I wrote a summary some time ago with a very similar thought as the subject. I imagine that looking back at your starting point, you would see an image of it as it was from a time BEFORE you left it. You might even see yourself headed to where you are now, since the light leaving you hasn't caught up with you yet! It would probably look like you are going to crash into yourself. Wouldn't that be a trip!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:24 PM

3,448 posts, read 4,350,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post

At 1600 I leave Point A travelling faster than light and arrive at point B at 1605. The light from starting point A arrives at point B at 1606.

My question is, what happens to me in that one minute gap at my final destination while I wait for the light from my start point to catch up with me?
I'm not sure what he question is. The impossible thing is the faster than light travel. Once you've done that you've violated causality. Not that much interesting would happen as you wait for the light to reach you once youve returned to subluminal speeds. You can similarly be ahead of light by using a mirror.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:59 PM

223 posts, read 192,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post

I dont know but I bet you could find out on some lsd.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:41 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,582,188 times
Big Bang....what did it expand into? How can a singularity expand into nothing....if there is nothing to expand into in the first place? How fast can light travel into or through nothing....

Old 11-19-2012, 01:05 AM

3,448 posts, read 4,350,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus23 View Post
Big Bang....what did it expand into? How can a singularity expand into nothing....if there is nothing to expand into in the first place? How fast can light travel into or through nothing....
The Big Bang is an expansion of space, not into it. While people need to embed objects in higher dimensional spaces to conceptualize them, the math works fine with or without a higher-dimensional space in which to expand. Probably not a satisfying answer, but it still is the answer consistent with observation.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:01 PM

3,614 posts, read 2,951,040 times
Don't we need an entirely new model of physics to do this? Current model only lets you go to C, not beyond it. Inventing a new line of physics means we'd have an entirely different means to calculate how something like this work play out.

Let's theorize tachyons--particles with a minimum velocity of C+1 and unlimited top-end velocity. This would theoretically allow me to travel to any point in space instantaneously.

I think the question is easier to think about if I step away to some place 10 light years away--and then look back to where I came from. I would obviously have changed places, but as mentioned, the light is still coming, so I'd be seeing back into time ten years into events that have already happened.

So let's shrink it down to a minute.

I transfer to place X one minute ahead the time it would take light to get there. Looking back, I'd see myself preparing to transport my self one light-minute away. At the time I break C, I disappear (no longer being observable\instantaneously transporting to "the present" time).

So if I was running, reached C, then broke though the C barrier to C+1, I would disappear from measurable view when I break through C, so while I might see myself running towards where I am standing, the moment I break the C-barrier, I'd no longer be visible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology