U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:20 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,959,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Nano technology is not the reason why its just the next step. The reason is information technology advances at a exponential rate and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
I would say that IT is advancing and declining at the same time. Complex systems are more capable, but often less stable in the hands of inexperienced designers and implementers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My main worry is computers getting what we call artificial intelligence,may be artificial to us but what is the computer going to think?it already has its global hive mind in place,give a certain computer a sense of self and who knows where its ego will take it or what its priorities might be,its only an assumption that it will remain a servant to human needs,world domination could be easily achievable as would be the elimination of all the carbon based parasites.
I got a bad feeling about our combined future with technology....
I would feel a lot worse if the tech was still around and we were not.

Wait ... if that were true, I guess I wouldn't be feeling anything.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:32 PM

12,105 posts, read 20,415,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I would say that IT is advancing and declining at the same time. Complex systems are more capable, but often less stable in the hands of inexperienced designers and implementers.
I have to disagree. Just look at "smart phones" today compared to the brick phones of the late 80's.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I have to disagree. Just look at "smart phones" today compared to the brick phones of the late 80's.
Many smart phones today are unstable due to people loading all kinds of crap on them.

I don't remember my phones in the 80's ever failing.

Could you be more explicit? I'm not sure how any phone during the 80's would qualify as Information Tech, which was the context of my comment.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:00 PM

12,105 posts, read 20,415,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Many smart phones today are unstable due to people loading all kinds of crap on them.

I don't remember my phones in the 80's ever failing.

Could you be more explicit? I'm not sure how any phone during the 80's would qualify as Information Tech, which was the context of my comment.
Cell phones are considered information technology.

This is from Wiki but is a good definition:

Information technology (IT) can be defined in various ways, but is broadly considered to encompass the use of computers and telecommunications equipment to store, retrieve, transmit and manipulate data. The term is commonly used as a synonym for computers and computer networks, but it also encompasses other information distribution technologies such as television and telephones.

The link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_technology

And the Brick phones did not work nearly as good as smart phones do today. My dad had one I know from personal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology