U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 11:32 AM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times

Advertisements

Wonders never cease to amaze!

"After more than 4,000 years almost since the dawn of recorded time, when Utnapishtim told Gilgamesh that the secret to immortality lay in a coral found on the ocean floor man finally discovered eternal life in 1988. He found it, in fact, on the ocean floor."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/ma...y.html?hp&_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 04:44 AM

15,924 posts, read 16,847,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJChemist View Post
I'd love to be able to go back to my teens to relive those years. Hurry up scientists. This is neat though. There's a lot of potential for reversing diseases.
As the article says:

Quote:
Plainly speaking, it refused to die. It appeared to age in reverse, growing younger and younger until it reached its earliest stage of development, at which point it began its life cycle anew.
First off who will take care of me when I grow back to being a baby?

Whats to say in one of my new life's I wind up being raised by a pedophile?

~ or sold into slavery?

~ or my new body being used for harvesting organs?

Be careful what you wish for.............

Old 11-29-2012, 12:46 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,267,829 times
We're already seeing the implications of longer life-spans and better health care on retirees, Social Security and Medicare. But the impact of even longer lifespans, let alone virtual immortality, would be unimaginable. Heck, the planet can hardly sustain even the current population!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,764,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
We're already seeing the implications of longer life-spans and better health care on retirees, Social Security and Medicare. But the impact of even longer lifespans, let alone virtual immortality, would be unimaginable. Heck, the planet can hardly sustain even the current population!
Well on the other hand, people in the US and possibly other countries, are having fewer babies.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 PM

5,392 posts, read 5,638,461 times
Wait a minute, so guys like Gilgamesh knew about undersea life? Wow, did they have some sort of ancient SCUBA or something?

Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 AM

5,070 posts, read 8,764,604 times
I was just hearing something on the radio about a kind of jelly fish:

NY TIMES: Sommer kept his hydrozoans in petri dishes and observed their reproduction habits. After several days he noticed that his Turritopsis dohrnii was behaving in a very peculiar manner, for which he could hypothesize no earthly explanation. Plainly speaking, it refused to die. It appeared to age in reverse, growing younger and younger until it reached its earliest stage of development, at which point it began its life cycle anew.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 AM

12,099 posts, read 20,344,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Many people will choose to leave the planet and explore the galaxy. I know I will as soon as the technology is here. Plus all technology will be increasing exponentially so the planet will be able to sustain way more people then it can today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or