U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 08:23 PM

862 posts, read 1,167,507 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping that global warming somehow causes a new ice age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 02:26 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,040,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
I'm hoping that global warming somehow causes a new ice age.
It might..... some Scientists think that the melting of the Greenland/Northern Ice Caps will dilute the Ocean's salinity and temperature(Thermohaline Circulation) and after warming the planet......the Gulf Current/Stream will collapse causing a new Ice Age in the Northern Hemisphere.

Thermohaline circulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-25-2012, 12:11 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,454,074 times
Climate change I think it inevitable as long as we keep building cities ...

Think about it. Cities are mostly made of concrete, metal, and ceramic or other types of shingles, as well as stone. Stone and metal reflect heat and store it more effectively than do forest or wood products. Cities are therefore local "hotspots" and the more we build out the more those hotspots expand. This actually has already proven cities are around 10 deg F hotter than surrounding countryside.

Not surprising, but what is surprising is the effect on weather patterns. These hotspots will invariably change wind directions and cause clouds to be more excited, leading to more unpredictable weather and more extremes where it does happen. Other areas will get drier.

So as much as I like green energy technologies, I think unless we totally rethink the means and necessary infrastructure to exist as a civilization we won't be able to halt unnatural climate change.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:57 AM

8,567 posts, read 9,330,054 times
The temps got down in the 20's at about 6 a.m. today so I've been burning a lot of natural gas to keep the place warm. Consequently my humidity levels have dropped creating a lot of static electricity. So I'm going to do a long hot water laundry to up my humidity levels in the house to normal. And open the blinds to let the sun help warm up the place.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 PM

2,975 posts, read 3,887,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Agreed today renewable energy is not competitive with fossil fuels. However, given the fact renewable energy is advancing exponentially we are only a few years away from it becoming as competitive as fossil fuels then it will quickly become more competitive. In the case of solar we are looking around 2019 for it to be as competitive then in the 2020's it will be more competitive.
Back when I was in college they were saying this about nuclear fusion...

Old 12-31-2012, 02:28 AM

37,071 posts, read 38,273,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Back when I was in college they were saying this about nuclear fusion...
In the 60/70's the promise was that the nuclear plants would provide super cheap energy. I know during the early 70's there was a huge amount of all electric homes that went up in this area becsue they were building a plant nearby. Of course the savings never materialized becsue they are enormously expensive to build and maintain.

I'm no expert on it but it appears fusion has a lot of potential if they can harness it but then again maybe something else will come along and trump them all. This is one of the issues I have with subsidies, for example with the mandates for ethanol something that is better has to compete with that. You have an entrenched industry that both the government and private investors have sunk hundreds of billions into and when something else better comes along they are going to go down swinging.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,040,599 times
Let's face facts the Coal Barons and Fossil Fuel Barons do NOT want any research on renewable energy. And Fusion Power Research; which essentially solves our energy needs indefinitely is being politically buried!

Germany with much less sunshine has a huge solar energy industry.

It's all politics to ignore Science and keep power/money with the Extractors of our nation's resources/wealth.

It's all connected.

Germany: A shining Example of Solar Success

In-Depth: Germany's 22 GW Solar Energy Record - CleanTechnica

Germany Leads Way on Renewables, Sets 45% Target by 2030 | Worldwatch Institute

Last Weekend, Half of Germany Was Running on Solar Power : TreeHugger

Germany to cut solar power subsidies | Environment | The Guardian

Old 01-01-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Germany with much less sunshine has a huge solar energy industry.
Germans pay about 31 cents per kWh which is second only to Denmark where it's about 40 cents. Denmark has the highest percentage of electric generation from wind mills and is the largest manufacturer of them.

FYI the Germans recently announced the building of many new coal plants.

Germany -- Insane Or Just Plain Stupid? - Forbes

Old 01-02-2013, 10:02 AM

26,886 posts, read 38,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Germans pay about 31 cents per kWh which is second only to Denmark where it's about 40 cents. Denmark has the highest percentage of electric generation from wind mills and is the largest manufacturer of them.

FYI the Germans recently announced the building of many new coal plants.

Germany -- Insane Or Just Plain Stupid? - Forbes
And according to the article it's about the stupidest thing they could do combined with closing nuclear plants. Hello CO2!! Business are closing or moving out of the country because it's too expensive to stay open there.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And according to the article it's about the stupidest thing they could do combined with closing nuclear plants.....
I guess they are more worried about nuke accidents than CO2. I'm not against nukes but it's not like you can say "oops, sorry, that won't happen again". Using the Fukishma disaster as reason to close them is a bit absurd as that was completely avertable even after it happened. Beside the mistakes of not having a proper plan in place to begin the US offered to fly in generators that could of been there in plenty of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology