U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,114,554 times

Advertisements

Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

From N.A.S.A.!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 04:44 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,434,863 times
Exclamation What Happens When Solar Power Is as Cheap as Coal

I thought I would post this here since it relates to climate change. This is why I am not really worried about climate change anymore.

It's a horrible paradox that bad things are generally cheaper: Like Big Macs. Or H&M. Top of this list, of course, is coal power, which is really quite horrible for the planet but is also deliciously cheap to produce. We are, if nothing else, a bottom-line driven society. Besides the rarefied few of us who are willing to drop more money on organic food and clean power just because it's the right thing to do, most people--out of necessity--are going to gravitate toward the cheapest and easiest option. Coal power is so cheap, it's what the power company supplies without you asking. Sign me up! But now, according to new predictions from Bloomberg New Energy Finance, solar power is going to be the wallet-friendly option as soon as 2013. This is faster than was originally thought. For instance, the Bush administration set a goal for this to occur by 2015, and others predicted that as well. Two years ahead of schedule on creating an entirely new cost-efficient and clean power source is really not too shabby.

The link: What Happens When Solar Power Is as Cheap as Coal | Fast Company

Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 AM

5,170 posts, read 3,750,562 times
I personnally believe, based upon my own reading, is that we have peaked in terms of the factors contributing to warming, and that we are headed into a long term cooling trend. Meaning another ice age.

I love how the AGW crowd has seized the term "climate change". With that as your premise, you will inevitably be correct.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,592,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Excellent, we can get rid of the subsidies and mandates and while we're at it lets get rid of the over regulation of coal driving costs up.... oh wait a minute... The idea has always been to make coal so expensive to use renewables could compete and now you're throwing a party becsue they achieved it.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Excellent, we can get rid of the subsidies and mandates and while we're at it lets get rid of the over regulation of coal driving costs up.... oh wait a minute... The idea has always been to make coal so expensive to use renewables could compete and now you're throwing a party becsue they achieved it.

It does not matter. If you look at the graph and the fact that solar is a form of information technology thus advancing exponentially every 2 years it will be cheaper then all fossil fuels by 2019 at the latest. So starting in the 2020's we will begin to use less fossil fuels so in my opinion this decade will be the peak use of fossil fuels by society.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:09 PM

Exclamation ‘Net-Zero’ Energy Store Being Built By Walgreens

As I have posted solar is advancing very fast and now Walgreens will build a 'Net-Zero' building. This is now wait a few years and it will be common place.

Could a large American retail store produce as much energy as it consumes? Walgreens is going all ‘green’ to find out.

The company recently announced a plan to erect a ‘net-zero’ energy store to replace an older one located in Evanston, Illinois. Through thoughtful and innovative design, the prototype store is specially designed to utilize various renewable energies technologies, such as wind, solar, and geothermal, in order to produce as much or potentially even more energy than it actually needs to operate. Approved last fall by the city council, the plan uses a variety of strategies to achieve net-zero energy status drawn from energy-reducing measures from its own stores and numerous technology vendors.

The link: ‘Net-Zero’ Energy Store Being Built By Walgreens | Singularity Hub
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology