U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 03:56 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,850,438 times

Advertisements

Way to go Space Command...

Quote:
"The Air Force launched the unmanned spacecraft Tuesday hidden on top of an Atlas V rocket. It's the second flight for this original X-37B spaceplane. It circled the planet for seven months in 2010.

A second X-37B spacecraft spent more than a year in orbit. These high-tech mystery machines — 29 feet long — are about one-quarter the size of NASA's old space shuttles and can land automatically on a runway.
Air Force Sends Mystery Mini-Shuttle Back To Space - Slashdot

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 09:07 PM

16,849 posts, read 51,301,408 times
Don' wanna know. What is that photo? Unmanned, 29 feet long, seven months, two "blahblahnauts" in the foreground with a suitcase? What is this, the "Masters and Johnson Space Center Report?"

Old 12-12-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Don' wanna know. What is that photo? Unmanned, 29 feet long, seven months, two "blahblahnauts" in the foreground with a suitcase? What is this, the "Masters and Johnson Space Center Report?"
Geez harry didn't you read the quoted text?

X-37B, a USV.... These high-tech mystery machines — 29 feet long — are about one-quarter the size of NASA's old space shuttles and can land automatically on a runway.

The following is old but detailed....

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/45jack_...ace_Plane.html

Old 12-12-2012, 03:44 PM

Follow-up...

What a coincidence, we launch the X-37B which can manoever in orbit and the North Koreans just launched a satellite.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:26 PM

16,849 posts, read 51,301,408 times
I was just amused by the two people dressed in what looked like 1950s sci-fi space suits and the wild thought of them crammed into the experiment bay (which I know they wouldn't be).

Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I was just amused by the two people dressed in what looked like 1950s sci-fi space suits and the wild thought of them crammed into the experiment bay (which I know they wouldn't be).
Arghhhhh now you're going to have me up all night trying to remember the movie because yup, I do remember a 50's Sci-Fi movie with spacemen like that....

Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,454,074 times
I can't think of any reason why the military would be doing this, other than to prove (again, at twice the price) that space vehicles are re-useable. Last I checked the military wasn't into rapid prototyping technologies, much less space tech. That's DARPA's job.

At the end of the day I think this is nothing more than something to distract the world spy agencies.

(somewhere in the Kremlin): "The Americans just launched that X-37B again!" "Quick, track it and take photos of it! Bring one of ours into range as well!"

Old 12-13-2012, 10:53 AM

10,715 posts, read 22,325,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Follow-up...

What a coincidence, we launch the X-37B which can manoever in orbit and the North Koreans just launched a satellite.
Yeah but did it make it into space and one thing we will get support from Russia to at least move it into a orbit where it will decay an Re-enter the atmosphere burn up over the middle of the pacific and we both can jointly watch and track it to make sure it burns up over ocean and does not pose a threat to everyone.

no one wants to have to go pick up NK satellite debris or risk it killing or causing major damage to major populated cities around the world.

Because pretty sure NK is not able to track it and or be able to fire boosters or maneuvering Rockets to Reposition it to change the rate of decay or the angle of decent from the NK space command and control centers or what ever commands the space program there.

Also Russia and China along with the west are just as worried about the ever growing amount of space debris that is getting to the point we need to clean it up.

Which puts even more risk to possible future missions to be sending up new communication sats or having to take even more risks at manned trips to the ISS or due most of the debris that was sent from earth is ours and we kind of have to be the ones that clean it up or help with the effort to clean it up.

The U.S. and Russia being the pioneers that made it possible that we both left most of the junk up there to now deal with. We have some responsibility to make sure we keep it safe for future missions to continue exploring space since it took a lot of people and a lot of failure and innovation to get this far and NK never could do it from scratch like we did or if it was even possible to send a human into space and come back alive which a lot did not and it if it poses a major risk to current and future crews then taking it out of orbit is the right thing to do IMO.

Sure NK will have to sabre rattle stomp their feet and maybe send out their navy and the next U.N. event go on a rant about us but in the scheme of things the lives of the men an women that are currently in in space are reason enough to destroy or dispose of it properly.

Heck I bet no U.N. security council members will even talk or care about it because every member has some sort space program and would agree that taking out a possible risk now is worth it even if it makes NK ticked off.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:02 AM

10,715 posts, read 22,325,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I can't think of any reason why the military would be doing this, other than to prove (again, at twice the price) that space vehicles are re-useable. Last I checked the military wasn't into rapid prototyping technologies, much less space tech. That's DARPA's job.

At the end of the day I think this is nothing more than something to distract the world spy agencies.

(somewhere in the Kremlin): "The Americans just launched that X-37B again!" "Quick, track it and take photos of it! Bring one of ours into range as well!"

Life on the International Space Station HD - YouTube
Heck we are having fun up there I mean love to see hopwthe crews of have have fun up there when not working on experiments or maintaing the station since looks like fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology