U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:22 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,604,613 times

Advertisements

Not so much duped as intimidated. Too many business "managers" have been taught that they own their employees full time. They use a slow employment market to abuse the workers. The only difference between a cube farm and a coal mine is the cubes are somewhat cleaner. The owners/managers think the same.

IMHO - If you work for a paycheck you should be in a Union. The employers, through managerial societies and golf resorts, effectively are already there. They just won't admit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 12:23 AM

904 posts, read 1,119,345 times
For the first time in ages I actually love the phone I have it's a Galaxy S3. Fantastic bit of kit.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:10 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,935,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I used to use a Verizon Q, then changed to a Droid 3, then an iPhone. I just like the iPhone. I really don't like the Android OS. To each his own, though.
I'm the same. I tried webos with the Palm Pre. Then tried an android phone. Now I have the iPhone for about 18 months and I love it!

It does everything I need. I am also able to receive encrypted email on my phone.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:59 AM

3,614 posts, read 2,953,618 times
What's important? Back-end management or front-end usability?

I can't say anything about the back-end. Useability wise, I avoid Apple out of principle and because their platform is secured against third-party access. If it ain't Apple Approved, it can't be on your phone.

Meanwhile, Android has no problem installing third-party markets, much less third-party apps not on the Play market.
I haven't had enough experience though with Microsoft's platform. Beyond that, don't know. I hear iOS 6 added a bunch of backend improvements if you were looking to deploy iPhones everywhere...

Old 01-10-2013, 02:46 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,912,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I can't believe how so many workers are duped into accepting a 24/7 salary job.
Sometimes you take what you can get. Besides, being on call can be fun! Sometimes.

We have users with both iPhones and Android phones with a smattering of Blackberries. My own opinion is this: the best phone for me is the one the company is willing to pay for.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 AM

14,412 posts, read 16,326,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The best professional phone is one that will absolutely prevent management from contacting you after you have left the premises. Otherwise you will be working 24/7 for the same pay.
Not if you are a contractor and get paid by the hour. Often a company usually gives the 'extra hours' support/on call work to salaried workers because they don't want to pay extra hours to the contractors.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 AM

10,835 posts, read 12,882,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Sometimes you take what you can get. Besides, being on call can be fun! Sometimes.
Agree. Fun and freeing.
Not all 24/7 salaried jobs are crap.

I don't get OT. I also don't get to work until 9:15 most days. I also can leave for appts at any time for as long as I need without being docked. I can leave early any time I want. I can take long lunches. I have more freedom in this job then I've ever had. And what... a couple times a month I get a phone call on the weekend? Or after hours? Or I have to work a Sat? Or occasionally when there is a serious problem I have to put in a 14 hour day or 2?
Totally worth it. I've never had a job treat me so well with such respect. Going to be hard to leave here.

As for the discussion at hand, IMO, Android trumps Apple for an IT Pro.
On an Apple device, every App lives in a walled garden. Great for security. Bad for useability.
Download a document with one app.... but your Word Proc app can't see it.
Yes there are ways around this (for ex: get a Word Proc doc that supports DropBox) but it's cumbersome compared to Android.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or