U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 01:31 PM

12,104 posts, read 20,376,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Yes, let us look at the benefits of this computerized society.....

~ No privacy
~ Ones life revolves around their credit score
~ Our children for the most part are worse couch potatoes than their fathers
~ It must be true, I saw it on the Internet attitude
~ We are drowning in more paper, not less
~ We have become more isolated from one another
~ We are losing the ability to think things out to their logical conclusion

And the list goes on....
There are defiantly some drawback to the technology and to say otherwise would be false. However, in my opinion, the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Either way it does not matter because they are here and will only get more advanced.

Quote:
There is one thing you overlook my young friend and that is where do these magnificent gleaming towers of computing power get their intelligence from?

Human Beings..... and as we see over and over and over "predictions" made by computers are wrong. Why? because human beings are the ones who programmed them and human beings are flawed creatures.

GIGO
Humans are the ones who have looked at the data and come up with the models. For example Moore's law was developed by Gordon Moore who the co founder of Intel. The law says that computers advance exponentially. In 1900 it was every 3 years by 1960 it was every 2 years and now it is every 11 months and continuing to increase and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. However as I said we can only look out to about 2045 as that is when all of our models break down so anyone who says they know what life will be like after 2045 is making it up.

Quote:
Since when has cancer been cured? -- Ah yes, conspiracy time.. If I had a dollar for every time I've read XYZ will be cured in a few years I'd have Bill Gates as my butler......

The Cure for Cancer Has Been Found and is Purposely Being Ignored - Technorati Lifestyle

Has Cancer been cured? Big Pharma doesn't like that idea very much... :: TweakTown USA Edition

Cancer is cured
Again the boy who cried wolf. I get it and trust me I heard it all growing up as well. There is a thread on it, along with HIV, and the new research in genetics is the reason why. They have cured a person with the diseases but yes it will take a few years to get to the general population but its coming.

Quote:
I can say the same thing, society has changed from when I was a kid in the late '40's.... But for the last couple of decades the only changes that I see are automobiles that now cost more than a home, young people walking around with some device either plastered to their ear or glued to their hand and outdoor sports becoming non-existant... I see government invading every aspect of our lives, bedbugs taking over cities and the PS3/X-Box replacing mom and dad.....

If it's one thing that history teaches us it's that things never turn out quite the way we hoped they would...
you must not be looking then. Lets just look at computers as a example:

In the 1960's they took up entire buildings and cost millions of dollars.

In the 1970's they took up entire rooms and the cost went down.

Today my I Phone has more computing power then all of NASA in the 1960's and only cost 200 dollars. That is significant advancement and we will do it again so by the mid 2020's what once fit in a building and now in my pocket will fit inside a blood cell and that will change everything.

Last edited by Josseppie; 01-10-2013 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,871,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
There are defiantly some drawback to the technology and to say otherwise would be false. However, in my opinion, the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Either way it does not matter because they are here and will only get more advanced.
Defiantly: Marked by defiance; boldly resisting.

Quote:
Again the boy who cried wolf. I get it and trust me I heard it all growing up as well. There is a thread on it, along with HIV, and the new research in genetics is the reason why. They have cured a person with the diseases but yes it will take a few years to get to the general population but its coming.
Wow! They have cured one person?

Sonny, I have been in the computer field since 1972 so by a long shot I am not anti-technology, just that I've heard babble like yours for decades.....

Old 01-11-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Defiantly: Marked by defiance; boldly resisting.

Wow! They have cured one person?

Sonny, I have been in the computer field since 1972 so by a long shot I am not anti-technology, just that I've heard babble like yours for decades.....
In dont understand the first comment. Defiance of the new technology?

The second one is easy as all you are talking about is the boy who cried wolf. You have heard it so many times now that science is actually at the point of dramatic change you tune it out. I get it and I was that way when I first heard it and is a great example of why the singularity is not mainstream yet and won't be till there is more proof around 2019.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:07 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,815,573 times
If only mushrooming computing power could suspend laws of thermodynamics (and ecology), all it does - squandering faster and faster little what's left.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:09 AM

3,481 posts, read 4,368,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
If only mushrooming computing power could suspend laws of thermodynamics (and ecology), all it does - squandering faster and faster little what's left.
1) Computing power can help us be more efficient with the resources we do have.
2) There's still lots of useful energy available in sunlight and hydrogen, we just don't know how to efficiently exploit it yet.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
2) There's still lots of useful energy available in sunlight and hydrogen, we just don't know how to efficiently exploit it yet.
Just to add: More energy from the sun hits the planet in 1 hour then all if society uses in 1 hour. By 2019 solar will be as cheap as fossil fuels and in the 2020s become less expensive. So energy production is something we don't have to worry about.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Really? Examples? Paperless world, maybe? Computer power may make things more efficient, i.e. cheaper (including cheaper looking/feeling and not lasting). Cheaper= more accessible = mushrooming per capita consumption = squandering little what we have left faster. If 30 years ago only printing houses could squander paper to print garbage, today there are 100 millions + of mini printing shops that do just that (thanks to accessible computer power).

Quote:
We live amidst 6th greatest extinction, it is estimated that half of all plants, animals, birds will die off before 2100. No amount of useful energy could bring those species back, no amount of energy and computing power could revive life supporting services that nature provides us for free (of computer power). Humans are on the course of transforming the Earth into a managed space ship, I'd much rather live without computer power. I don't understand why technology enthusiasts cannot understand simple thing, namely, that there is a fragile energy balance on Earth. You can't just introduce a powerful source of "useful energy" (if it was possible) without disrupting that fragile balance. We did heck a lot of disruption using nothing but coal and oil. Imagine an unlimited energy source in human hands? Shall I say suicide?

The only technological solution is a "warp drive" and spreading the plague elsewhere. The only reason why plebians are fed this techno energy garbage - we have truly psychopathic elites on the top of food chain, they will cling to power to the last specie and droplet of clean water. If human specie will not reform its social organization and priorities ASAP, we are as good as dead.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:32 AM

15,924 posts, read 16,871,813 times
As we have seen throughout the history of the Earth species dies off because of one reason or another...

It's called survival of the fittest.

I don't understand why green Earth enthusiasts cannot understand one simple thing, namely, that nature moves on over the course of eons and species disappear.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
As we have seen throughout the history of the Earth species dies off because of one reason or another...

It's called survival of the fittest.

I don't understand why green Earth enthusiasts cannot understand one simple thing, namely, that nature moves on over the course of eons and species disappear.
Yes, mass catastrophic extinctions are "normal". Mass man made extinction is something that never happened before. There is solid scientific consensus on speciation and extinction rates. There is solid scientific (as in MAINSTREAM science) consensus that current rates of extinctions exceed background rates hundred + times over. Survival of the fittest applies only to normal conditions. Under catastrophic conditions, it's more of the survival of the luckiest whose competition was wiped out by an unforeseen (by evolutionary forces) catastrophe. For some people, for as long as there is a Frankenstein burger on a chemical bun and a remote (PC keyboard) - life is good and "normal" they refuse to see what's coming.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I'd much rather live without computer power.

Honestly of everything you posted this is what stood out to me the most. Sounds to me that you just do not like the technology and no amount of information will convince you otherwise. That is ok, however, when the first computer was built in 1890 society was on this trajectory and nothing will stop it and we will reach the singularity in the next couple of decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology