U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 AM

10,328 posts, read 12,430,418 times

Advertisements

Scientists have breached the thick ice to see what lies beneath. Quite an accomplishment, i just hope Cthulhu does not jump out!

We are about to find out what lurks in an Antarctic lake sealed under 2.2 miles of ice

What lies beneath?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,070,360 times
Default Some good stuff coming, you bet!

Brace yourselves, good Young Earth Creationists, for some very interesting new discoveries and "finds" here!

Given that the drilling & coring process going down 2 miles, all on it's lonesome credentials [and given that some are willing to actually count event horizon layers without bias... as in: it's exactly like counting tree rings, but with a lot of additional information revealed in an ancient glacial ice core...] has already provided some very interesting information! I recall an article that showed the accumulation of at least 1.5M years of events. Multiple events that happened simultaneously; a huge type of radioactive dust typical of a meteorite impact, coupled with the geological column showing the simultaneous extinction of large land and aquatic "lizards", in effect (i.e.: dinosaurs!).

Such key atmospheric indicators as the chronology, over decades, centuries and millennia, of oxygen & CO2 concentrations, and pollens that were deposited onto and thus into the ice, with our electron microscopy allowing clear identification of long-gone species, and often why those species disappreared, such as a clear chronology on various major volcanic eruptions [with a dust layer and coincident reduction in the pollens and even seeds of plants and animals who sufferd from major changes in solar input...]. And so on.

It be still a very exciting time when the inner secrets are provided. It sould take the scientists at least 5 - 10 years.

Last edited by rifleman; 01-29-2013 at 10:02 AM..

Old 02-26-2013, 03:47 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,988,311 times
I do not think we will be hearing about this anytime soon. The Russians have been drilling and messing about in this area in antarctica for decades and I suspect there is some other agenda to this project and all projects down there. What published valid reason is there to tap this ancient lake?

from one of the comments on that link provided above
Quote:
Uh, maybe that's what they're saying they did now. I however paid close attention at the time. There were articles here about it so I don't know why nobody's mentioning it. Here's what happened:

Lake Vostok has been indicated to sit atop a major source of natural resources and there's a magnetic anomaly in it. Nobody knows how the lake formed.
The plan was to infill through the drill hole with kerosene, which would float on the lake surface and prevent air contamination. There were worries that the lake may have become pressurised and breaching it may cause an explosion at the surface.
Isn't that just like mankind? They want to add kerosene to the water to effectivily pollute the water so that it does not get polluted by their dirty drill bit with its bit-cooling liquid. Really I feel we deserve to be wiped off this planet and the sooner the better. We just dont care, do we?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:50 AM

20,979 posts, read 15,626,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I do not think we will be hearing about this anytime soon. The Russians have been drilling and messing about in this area in antarctica for decades and I suspect there is some other agenda to this project and all projects down there. What published valid reason is there to tap this ancient lake?

from one of the comments on that link provided above
Isn't that just like mankind? They want to add kerosene to the water to effectivily pollute the water so that it does not get polluted by their dirty drill bit with its bit-cooling liquid. Really I feel we deserve to be wiped off this planet and the sooner the better. We just dont care, do we?
You first.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:57 AM

32,150 posts, read 39,236,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Scientists have breached the thick ice to see what lies beneath. Quite an accomplishment, i just hope Cthulhu does not jump out!

We are about to find out what lurks in an Antarctic lake sealed under 2.2 miles of ice

What lies beneath?

The blind giant penguins scare the crap out of me.

More seriously, adding to some of the above, we'll get a good look at the warming and cooling cycles, too. I wonder if some people are really ready for that.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
I wonder if some people are really ready for that.
Trust me, anything needing to be sanitised WILL be sanitised. Nothing will be allowed to rock the boat and only the safe and explainable will be offered up for general discussion.

Quote:
You first.
No problem.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,481,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post

What lies beneath?
They'll find the reamins of the Elder Things who were all but destroyed by the shoggoths. I hope Guillermo Del Toro gets to make his Mountains of Madness movie someday.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:08 AM

There is a whole system of lakes under the Antarctic which is joined up together and the chanels between them run for miles and miles. It is not just the Russians who have broken through to the water beneath, so I dont know why Lake Vostok has got such a mention in the media. In January there was a consortium of countries who drilled through the ice using a 'hot iron' technique to melt the ice beneath the drill bit. A lot cleaner than the Russian method which involved all kinds of chemicals and lubricants.

It seems to me that there is a lot going on down there and we really dont know even half of it. I suspect there is more to it than just investigating the clear cool waters underneath the ice too. But then... what do I know?

Old 03-14-2013, 08:51 AM

15 posts, read 27,940 times
I agree with Ocpaul20. Russians seem to be using old drilling techniques. Obviously, they are not spending huge money (remember their economy is still in recovery phase) just to get acquaintance with million year old "germs".

Old 03-21-2013, 04:59 PM

162 posts, read 285,250 times
The article mentions they don't actually drill the lake water at the bottom so as not to contaminate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology