U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:44 PM

568 posts, read 817,439 times

Advertisements

Nothing is worse than going to a party, family gathering or just visiting a friend and having to work on a computer, printer, tablet or portable gaming system.

I'm here to have a good time like everyone else idiots. I didn't come here to work! I don't understand why when someone finds out you work in IT they wet their pants and come up with something for me to work on.

This situation never fails! I told a couple of my friends to not mention my profession to anyone anymore.

Does this happen to any of you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 PM

5,121 posts, read 9,422,987 times
No, because I don't work in IT...but something similar happens...when I tell folks I'm a writer I hear, "Oh you should write a book about me--I've had such an interesting life.." or "My niece is writing a book, can she send the manuscript to you so you can give her some advice" or "Have they made a movie from your book?" (no, alas) or "Have I read your work?" (how should I know?)

Sometimes I just say I work in sanitation and no one asks me to write about them or to come by to pick up their garbage...

Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,904,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Nothing is worse than going to a party, family gathering or just visiting a friend and having to work on a computer, printer, tablet or portable gaming system.

I'm here to have a good time like everyone else idiots. I didn't come here to work! I don't understand why when someone finds out you work in IT they wet their pants and come up with something for me to work on.

This situation never fails! I told a couple of my friends to not mention my profession to anyone anymore.

If I work on a friend's system, it's because I want to. If I don't want to, I don't.

No, it doesn't happen to me that often, but that's possibly because many of my friends are also tech people, and my family is technically aware for the most part (one brother works in IT, the other two know their way around their PCs well enough to get by without help, and my youngest brother is the one who helps out my Mom because he lives over 1,000 miles closer to her than I do ).

Old 01-29-2013, 06:49 PM

1,940 posts, read 7,972,073 times
you have to learn to be an a-hole.

it sucks, but you can't give away the services that feed you and/or your family. carry business cards, and when someone asks, politely show them the number they can call during normal business hours.

i caught myself almost doing the same thing at a neighborhood birthday party awhile back; met one of my neighbors that owns an IT company; my first reaction was to ask him about a problem i was having, but luckily i caught it before the question left my mouth. lol.

when people ask though you can always be vague and say you're in "management" or "import/export".

Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 AM

15,924 posts, read 16,861,573 times
When it comes to family and close friends I'll help them with their systems when they have problems.

They in turn help me if I ask them for assistance.

What's the BFD?

Old 01-30-2013, 06:48 AM

7,497 posts, read 9,285,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post

I don't work in IT but I hear it's a good field. I wouldn't hide it, but just tell people that now is not a good time but you'll be happy to do it another time (if that suits you). If not just tell them you charge by the hour and what that hourly rate is. Most people will probably back off at that point and if not, maybe you'll get something from doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
No, because I don't work in IT...but something similar happens...when I tell folks I'm a writer I hear, "Oh you should write a book about me--I've had such an interesting life.." or "My niece is writing a book, can she send the manuscript to you so you can give her some advice" or "Have they made a movie from your book?" (no, alas) or "Have I read your work?" (how should I know?)

Sometimes I just say I work in sanitation and no one asks me to write about them or to come by to pick up their garbage...
Wow, I haven't gotten that far in my life. I don't tell most people that I write since I'm not published or anything. The few that know I write ask constantly if I'm getting published yet.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,150,388 times
IT is such a vast field that you can play it off pretty easily. Tell them that you're an SAP Software Engineer or Cisco Engineer and not a helpdesk peasant (or network technician) that fixes computers. You can say that you're not familiar with fixing Windows or Mac systems because that's not what you do at work. Unless they have knowledge of IT, they won't know what to say next.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
you have to learn to be an a-hole.

it sucks, but you can't give away the services that feed you and/or your family. carry business cards, and when someone asks, politely show them the number they can call during normal business hours.

i caught myself almost doing the same thing at a neighborhood birthday party awhile back; met one of my neighbors that owns an IT company; my first reaction was to ask him about a problem i was having, but luckily i caught it before the question left my mouth. lol.

when people ask though you can always be vague and say you're in "management" or "import/export".
Usually, I'm nice about it and never charge these people. I really do need to start charging. I think a lot of people know they can take advantage of me when they learn my personality.

Last edited by pentatonic; 01-30-2013 at 08:11 AM..

Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,398,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
IT is such a vast field that you can play it off pretty easily. Tell them that you're an SAP Software Engineer or Cisco Engineer and not a helpdesk peasant (or network technician) that fixes computers. You can say that you're not familiar with fixing Windows or Mac systems because that's not what you do at work. Unless they have knowledge of IT, they won't know what to say next.
It's actually true. I work on backbone IP networks, and I'm trained and qualified to do so and have the experience. I'm probably not much more qualified than anybody else on Windows stuff, which is 95% of the time their issue. I give them the old 'IT salute' (shrug with palms up signifying that I'm mystified) when they ask their questions.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
It's actually true. I work on backbone IP networks, and I'm trained and qualified to do so and have the experience. I'm probably not much more qualified than anybody else on Windows stuff, which is 95% of the time their issue. I give them the old 'IT salute' (shrug with palms up signifying that I'm mystified) when they ask their questions.
The thing is, most of these people are smart enough to google their problem and fix it themselves. But no, they're too lazy to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology