U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 04:35 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,878,078 times

Advertisements

Is this good news or what......

Quote:
The United States is sitting on massive natural gas and oil reserves that have the potential to shift the geopolitical balance in its favor. Worries are increasing in Russia and the Arab states of waning influence and falling market prices.
New Gas Extraction Methods Alter Global Balance of Power - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 05:09 PM

26,965 posts, read 38,219,368 times
They are burning off an ungodly amount of natural gas in Montana, I think it is. It should be illegal to do so while fracking. I remeber when we used to drive to Chicago and I'd see the pipes sticking up in the air with flames at the end. Natural gas just being wasted.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 AM

8,075 posts, read 7,088,111 times
Yes, this is very good news. 1. Less dependence on middle east oil and less funding for terrorists, hopefully. 2. More jobs for Americans with all the wells being sunk here and the jobs that go with it. 3. Balance of trade better. More of our money stays here for US citizens to keep in our country, to invest, save or spend. 4. More exploration/pumping of our own oil also means there's even more money to help fund the government. Althogether its a win/win. Its like finding a little gold mine every time a producing well goes on line.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:06 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,377,011 times
But wait a minute..........
Quote:
Fractured Lives - July/August 2012- Sierra Magazine - Sierra Club

What's the official position now?
We view natural gas as a significant source of air and water pollution and greenhouse-gas emissions. In addition to its large climate footprint, the extraction of natural gas is having a big impact on rural communities, state forests, and the landscapes that we've worked hard to protect. Our primary goal is still to retire coal plants as quickly as possible and replace them with genuinely clean energy like solar and wind. Investing in gas actually hinders deployment of wind and solar, so we want to leapfrog gas as we move to a clean-energy future.

What about recent studies that suggest that the extraction and burning of natural gas has a bigger impact on climate change than coal does?
They're alarming. Studies in places like the Marcellus Shale and Colorado have shown that the greenhouse emissions from natural gas are much, much worse than originally thought. Unfortunately, there isn't yet a comprehensive empirical analysis of the full carbon footprint of gas. So the Sierra Club—along with almost every other environmental group—is calling for a full study that documents those emissions and the extent to which they can be controlled or avoided altogether.
If the enviro nazis get their hooks into this industry good luck with that.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:35 PM

16,886 posts, read 51,443,250 times
"calling for a full study that documents those emissions and the extent to which they can be controlled or avoided altogether. "

I heartily support a full study of the emissions of the Sierra Club, in the hopes that they can be controlled or avoided altogether.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,878,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
They are burning off an ungodly amount of natural gas in Montana, I think it is. It should be illegal to do so while fracking. I remeber when we used to drive to Chicago and I'd see the pipes sticking up in the air with flames at the end. Natural gas just being wasted.
I remember when I was in the navy we were heading south down the coast of Argentina, there was a stretch where it was just as you described, looked like a long row of huge candles...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology