Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:39 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,510,605 times

Advertisements

Obviously I was around then, but I was just way to young to remember. I was probably 6 in 2000 and all I could really remember about technology in 2000 were the cell phones. How big and bulky they were.
What about the rest of the technology in the early 2000s era from 1997 to 2003? What do you remember about them? I like to see how far we have come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 09:06 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,118,933 times
Geez, talk about feeling old.... I was in my 50's in 2000..

The only thing that comes to mind in 2000 was having to be in the office all night monitoring our systems for any Y2K glitches...

Old 02-06-2013, 10:27 PM

23,523 posts, read 69,925,450 times
Those cars where you had to pedal hard against the pavement to go anywhere were a real problem. To make television, we used to listen to the "radio" and use our hands to make shadows on a sheet. Everything was made of furs and polyester. The static was intense. A group of us would get together, scuff our feet on a shag rug, and taze a guy on the ears. If he didn't drop unconscious, he would jump a good two feet in the air. I'd say we haven't progressed very far with technology.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,990,659 times
97... those were the days when the internet got fast. No more waiting for webpages to load. Cable modems and broadband! You could download mp3s in less than 60 seconds!

That time period was also when text messaging started becoming popular among mainstream cell phone users.

1999-2000 - when cell phones started fitting in pockets.

Consumer digital cameras also took off in those days.

Last edited by NJBest; 02-06-2013 at 11:08 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 08:35 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,510,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Those cars where you had to pedal hard against the pavement to go anywhere were a real problem. To make television, we used to listen to the "radio" and use our hands to make shadows on a sheet. Everything was made of furs and polyester. The static was intense. A group of us would get together, scuff our feet on a shag rug, and taze a guy on the ears. If he didn't drop unconscious, he would jump a good two feet in the air. I'd say we haven't progressed very far with technology.
I would say lots of change happened then to now

Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 AM

5,915 posts, read 6,400,990 times
I remember circa 1997, I was sitting in my little office in the workout gym at the college, building my first ever website. I used the DOS Shell as my HTML editor, and I had several pages dedicated to my favorite rock band, favorite actress, wrestling, etc... it was really neat having my own online "home". I hosted the site on Xoom.com. They are no longer a hosting company today.

The internet in the gymnasium was sllooooooow!!! We were using Windows 95 at that point, and I think the college only had like one line serving the entire campus. It was much faster in the library, but everybody wanted to play on the internet in the library. Web pages were so much more simplistic back then, but some of them, I thought, looked pretty good for their time. You can go to the internet archive: Internet Archive: Wayback Machine and use the wayback machine to see how some of the more popular websites looked back then. For example, take a look at Yahoo today, and then use the wayback machine to see how Yahoo looked back then. You'll get a fill of how things looked online back then. There are still old websites linked off of the "old" Yahoo that you can access if you search through the old site.

In 2000, we went with cable internet and it was so much faster downloading mp3s off of Napster, lol! I was still living at home at the time, and I convinced my parents that I would pay part of the cost of the internet bill if they went with cable. For about the last three years of the 90's, I never hardly got any phone calls because dad was too cheap to get call waiting, and he stayed on the internet (dial-up) all the time! The only time I could get online at home was after everybody went to bed, and I'd stay up until the wee hours of the morning surfing the web.

I didn't get my first cell phone until 2004! I know that sounds crazy, but we couldn't pick up cell service at my house, and I didn't think there would be a reason to have one if I couldn't use it at home. The only reason why I got one later on, was that I was traveling an hour to college and back everyday, and felt it would be a good investment in case I broke down. Best phone I ever had! It was a simple, non-flip, standard cell phone with the green lit display. Never had dropped calls from it, everybody was crystal clear. I could receive text messages, but I couldn't send them since I didn't pay for that service. My next phone wasn't nearly as good, but I kept that phone for awhile before moving into the blackberry world (big mistake!)

All in all, I LOVED the internet back in the late 90's early 2000's so much more than today. It was so much easier looking up things and finding just about anything you wanted to find. Nowadays, took much politics involved among the ISPs, Google isn't nearly the search engine it used to be, gave up on Yahoo a long time ago, etc... I often go back to the "Wayback Machine" to relive the good ol' days! *sigh*

Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,788,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
Obviously I was around then, but I was just way to young to remember. I was probably 6 in 2000 and all I could really remember about technology in 2000 were the cell phones. How big and bulky they were.
They weren't that big at that point, probably just a lot thicker than the new models. I can remember when my cousin got his cell phone in the early 90's, It had a bag that went with it. LOL.

Quote:
What about the rest of the technology in the early 2000s era from 1997 to 2003? What do you remember about them? I like to see how far we have come.
Truthfully other than the laptops and smaller devices I'm not really sure there has been a lot that is new that has any wow factor. A lot of things have improved dramatically like web pages have evolved and TV's went from SD to HD, cameras were taken over by digital models.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:08 PM

364 posts, read 705,631 times
MP3 players! Not the iPod or Nano or Shuffle, just a plain old MP3 player with a USB connector (256MB was the biggest size I had). PDA was a big thing back then as well.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 PM

494 posts, read 1,605,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianNYC92 View Post
MP3 players! Not the iPod or Nano or Shuffle, just a plain old MP3 player with a USB connector (256MB was the biggest size I had). PDA was a big thing back then as well.
And not the lovey kind!

Wow, only six in 2000s? I was a teenager around then, so I feel ancient hearing that haha.

Another thing back then, TV was actually decent. The internet wasn't the content provider as it is today. You could legimaitely find good cartoons and good TV shows to watch in the 90s and 2000s. Also, you probably also missed out on the era when the music channels played nothing but music videos and music shows.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,990,659 times
Speaking of TV... That's when DVR went mainstream as well. Good old Tivo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology