U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:29 PM

11,910 posts, read 14,395,780 times

Advertisements

Government Embarks on Brain Map - MarketWatch.com
Phrenology is back in style!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 20 days ago)

13,401 posts, read 11,909,944 times
I hope they find the part of the brain that realizes when the government has gone too far wasting tax dollars on foolish projects such as this.

...if it still exists.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:10 AM

11,910 posts, read 14,395,780 times
I think large parts of the brain go dead once anyone gets elected to Congress, but that part of the study will be censored. Anyone have additional comments?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 AM

8,567 posts, read 9,344,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I hope they find the part of the brain that realizes when the government has gone too far wasting tax dollars on foolish projects such as this.

...if it still exists.
It can only be found in heads that are not screwed on backwards.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 AM

12,104 posts, read 20,376,103 times
You guys could not be more wrong as this is, in my opinion, the most important scientific project in the history of human kind. In fact there are a few large scale projects to reverse Engineer the brain down to the Molecular level. When complete (2019-2023) it will be much more then a "map" but a tool to help us understand how the brain works as we will have working simulations. Plus by 2019 a computer that costs 1,000 dollars will be fast enough to simulate the human brain which means the average person will benefit from this program as we will have computers with ai that will be more intelligent then we are. Personally I am happy to see that President Obama understands how important this is and even though I did not vote for him the second time I applaud him!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:07 AM

3,308 posts, read 1,951,631 times
In terms of the value of the research, I'd say that a brain map is easily just as valuable, overall, as a map of the human genome. For the first time in history, we now have the technology to actually do this. fMRI machines can resolve features down to less than a tenth of a millimeter (which corresponds to a few thousand neurons), and this will continue to improve. Kendrick Kay at the University of California did fMRI scans of people as they looked at pictures of various objects. Using fMRI the researchers were between 80% and 90% accurate when identifying what the subjects were seeing or thinking about. So, to borrow a quote from The 6 Million Dollar Man, "we have the technology." A detailed understanding of brain functioning will lead to a wide range of technologies that the average person can barely imagine at this point. Obviously people are going to panic about the possible dangers and misuses of this technology, but that's true of any technology. The greater the potential benefits, the greater the potential risks.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM

567 posts, read 794,490 times
Start with a diet soda and end with a candy bar....the map will show the brain has a lack of tissue

Old 02-19-2013, 10:53 AM

12,104 posts, read 20,376,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
In terms of the value of the research, I'd say that a brain map is easily just as valuable, overall, as a map of the human genome. For the first time in history, we now have the technology to actually do this. fMRI machines can resolve features down to less than a tenth of a millimeter (which corresponds to a few thousand neurons), and this will continue to improve. Kendrick Kay at the University of California did fMRI scans of people as they looked at pictures of various objects. Using fMRI the researchers were between 80% and 90% accurate when identifying what the subjects were seeing or thinking about. So, to borrow a quote from The 6 Million Dollar Man, "we have the technology." A detailed understanding of brain functioning will lead to a wide range of technologies that the average person can barely imagine at this point. Obviously people are going to panic about the possible dangers and misuses of this technology, but that's true of any technology. The greater the potential benefits, the greater the potential risks.
That is a good point about the human genome project as it was a very important project with implications we still don't fully understand. As far as the project to map the human brain. I don't think anyone knows what changes this will bring about when its done other then the fact they will be monumental.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:31 AM

3,308 posts, read 1,951,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
That is a good point about the human genome project as it was a very important project with implications we still don't fully understand. As far as the project to map the human brain. I don't think anyone knows what changes this will bring about when its done other then the fact they will be monumental.
I'm sure there are many possible applications that most of us can't even think of at the moment, but even now we can anticipate some of the general possibilities. Here are a few to consider:

(1) An entire range of technologies based on direct control of the mind over a machine. Pick any technology you want, then imagine that you can turn it on or off, or control it without having to push buttons or enter instructions via keyboard, etc. Of course this will also include cybernetics - the ability to control an artificial arm or leg, etc., meaning that a great many people with amputations will gain a great deal more mobility. Extending a bit further into the future, this will lead to remote control of robots (think of movies like Surrogates or Avatar).

(2) New possibilities for the treatment of mental disease, epilepsy, etc.

(3) Just for fun (or as a possible aid to therapy?), a brain map could help us record our dreams. This could include seeing actual imagery from your dreams. The basic tech for this already exists; a brain map would help bring this tech to a point of practical application.

(4) Advances in our understanding of learning and memory could radically change human life in unimaginable ways. Just imagine if you could learn several times faster, or remember several times better than you can right now. Then multiply this concept times millions (or billions?) of people.

This is just a partial list of basic possibilities, but any one of these broad areas of possibility could springboard into applications that even sci-fi authors haven't thought of yet.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:11 PM

16,886 posts, read 51,443,250 times
Mapping of the brain will more than likely be a key part in developing a real artificial intelligence OS. (We are all doomed! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology