U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 01:16 AM

15,924 posts, read 16,850,438 times

Advertisements

This is sad, we have the talent to invent it but when it comes time to go into production it has to be funded and manufactured overseas because Americans won't invest in it. It will be interesting to see when the entire study is released later on in the year as to why there are no (or not enough) investors.

I have my own idea's but this is not a politics or economics forum, I just hate to see America hemorrhaging high tech production overseas.

Quote:
The U.S. is still the world’s largest manufacturing economy, albeit with China close behind, according to figures from the National Association of Manufacturers. And some very serious manufacturing work—hello, Boeing 787—is clearly better off being done at home.

But high-tech gadgets produced at huge volumes (the kind of things that made Apple one of the world’s most valuable companies) are run almost exclusively through overseas economies. And even tiny startups backed by crowdfunding are turning to premium factories in China to get their orders churned out—and let’s not forget overseas drug development.
MIT Report: U.S. Manufacturing Hits a Wall When It's Time to Scale | Xconomy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 12:19 AM

10,715 posts, read 22,325,919 times
If Boeing needs funding then I would donate a small amount to make sure that western Washington able to keep their plants open to keep the jobs that so many that live in Renton and Everett depend on.

It would be to help them avoid layoffs not Boeing itself since that make huge profits and offshore stuff to cut costs and that kill local jobs since Seattle is Vancouver twin sister city and got to help the PNW out.

Since do not want to see it become like the Detroit auto industry where they lost it all pretty much to offshoring and Boeing is so huge and to close either plant would be devastating to the state.

Mircosoft should do a joint venture and provide massive super computer to design and test prototypes and help in making sure that Airbus does not get ahead and Boeing can stay on top in innovation with the most advanced computer modeling testing and push the limits of new designs testing to be a leader well into the future in commercial aerospace heck a modern super sonic Concord type plane with modren carbon composite and modern engines would be interesting.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:39 AM

4,383 posts, read 8,678,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
This is sad, we have the talent to invent it but when it comes time to go into production it has to be funded and manufactured overseas because Americans won't invest in it. It will be interesting to see when the entire study is released later on in the year as to why there are no (or not enough) investors.

I have my own idea's but this is not a politics or economics forum, I just hate to see America hemorrhaging high tech production overseas.

MIT Report: U.S. Manufacturing Hits a Wall When It's Time to Scale | Xconomy
THe reason for this is, the high volume things talked about are electronics and injected molded parts. Once all the kinks are worked out there isn't much really to do but babysit the machine making the parts. While in an airplane alot of the stuff manufactured is welded and machined, which is a little bit different.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
THe reason for this is, the high volume things talked about are electronics and injected molded parts. Once all the kinks are worked out there isn't much really to do but babysit the machine making the parts. While in an airplane alot of the stuff manufactured is welded and machined, which is a little bit different.
I see you have no idea on how many people Apple employs worldwide do you? They started commercial manufacturing with American seed money and their jobs went where?

Quote:
Speaking strictly for Apple, Obama's assessment is likely correct. Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500) has said that it directly employs thousands of its own workers in China, and about 700,000 assembly workers at manufacturing contractors like Foxconn put together Apple products. It would be almost impossible to bring those jobs to the United States.
Why Apple will never bring manufacturing jobs back to U.S. - Oct. 17, 2012

Old 03-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 11 days ago)

13,374 posts, read 11,875,084 times
The reason this is happening now between the US and China in the same reason it happened between England and the USA in the late 19th Century. England embraced Free Trade and the USA imposed tariffs.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,414 posts, read 32,211,225 times
Manufacturers in this country just can't compete on price with manufacturing in Asia. That's what company officials at Solyndra say caused it to go under.

Solyndra Lawsuit Alleges Chinese Firms Conspired To Push Company Out Of Business

Old 03-02-2013, 01:22 PM

A classic case of why some manufacturing jobs should be done in America with American labor and all American parts:

The Boeing 787......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology