U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 11:53 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,335,286 times

Advertisements

Since the end of the Apollo era of space-flight, NASA’s manned missions have stayed within Earth’s gravity well, never escaping into the great blackness of deeper space.
That will end with the Orion mission, set for test flights in early 2014.
“It’s a key element of our overall plan to get humans beyond Earth orbit as quickly as we can,” Dan Dumbacher, deputy associate administrator for NASA’s Exploration Systems Development Division,
To read more as to not break the TOS here is the source: Orion capsule will take test flight in early 2014 | News | National Post

Finally NASA seems like they are being pushed to because they are competing with private space companies like space X and that flight could be possible by them and great to see friendly completion to get back into more adventurous missions that like the first 21st century manned moon mission will happen sooner than later and then the work on getting ready to attempt the big one and go for a manned mission to mars this Century I hope.

the private space industry is going to literllly take off over the next 15-20 years for missions like this and space tourism will have rich and famous people go up first then talk about it to the Media which gets everyone else thinking about it by being exposed to it and I can see people putting even more effort into getting out there and learn as much as we can.

that would be weird if Space X beats NASA to the moon due to space-X billionaire investors and with former NASA employees and NASA has budget cuts delays and is laying off those same employees that now work for the private firms.

I mean planting the space-X Logo on the moon before Russia or china reach it and if Nasa gets severe cuts and has huge delays due to lack of funding or is put on hold to work on other projects the it would be huge headline news making free advertising for the private industry to be the 2nd to land a manned mission on the moon and the first private company to pull it off means that investments in that sector will just skyrocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 12:27 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,422,128 times
I'm sorry but I think Space-X is a terrible name. It sounds like something a teenager would come up with. I don't have any qualms with the company. I think they're great! Just the name....

As for the topic, I think it's about time we get past Earth's orbit again. I would be excited for either a Moon or Mars mission honestly. I know a lot of people don't care about the moon anymore and just want to go straight to Mars but I think it might be prudent to test the waters and get our feet wet again by taking on the much less riskier mission of going back to the moon.

I would love to see some HD video footage from the surface of the moon! It would be especially nice to get an new version of "Earthrise".

Old 03-13-2013, 01:24 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,985,492 times
The Japanese mission to the moon shot in HD video but how HD it was, I dont know.I could never see much from their images except stuff which could have come straight from a CGI software program.

China claims it already has a space station up there and has flown to the moon and around it. We have seen no real evidence of this on local TV but they have shown blast-off images and CGI shots of the spacecraft flying by... So, whether Orion beats anyone else or not, we just have to hold out breath.

As a conspiitorial kind of person, I wonder why we have not been back to the Moon in 40+ years. I wonder why the Japanese did not release many of their photos of the Moon(some yes, but not that many) I wonder why none of the 60,000+ images taken by the Indians have not been released, I wonder why China has not released any significant number of images to the international scientific community apart from press images, and I wonder why we leap-frogged the Moon and went straight to Mars. No-one did give me any good reason yet because the reasons for starting a space investigation on the Moon either by robot or by manned mission are far better than going straight to Mars. Anyway I'll keep quiet now.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:50 AM

26,901 posts, read 38,152,457 times
Mars is better press. The better the press reporting the more chance for money from the government.

Not using the moon as a base to leap frog to the rest of the solar system is stupid.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:18 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,985,492 times
why would Mars be better press? What has Mars got that the Moon does not have? No-one has offered a good explanation.

Actually, contrary to what I said above, the Chinese have released some images of the Moon, but you have to register to download them and it seems is not particularly easy to do that.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:12 AM

26,901 posts, read 38,152,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
why would Mars be better press? What has Mars got that the Moon does not have? No-one has offered a good explanation.

Actually, contrary to what I said above, the Chinese have released some images of the Moon, but you have to register to download them and it seems is not particularly easy to do that.
Honestly, that is a bit obvious... Because everyone expects them to find water and signs of life there. No life on the moon (So they say). Mars is a planet. The moon isn't. So on and so on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology