U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:51 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,355,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
"so early in its development"

I saw a 3-D printer at the San Diego Supercomputer Center back in the year 2000, back when there were only a few of them in the world. In those days, the center was letting other institutions print on its printer, since they didn't have one of their own.
Interesting. Honestly I did not know they had them back then but it makes sense. For the first 10 years they were not very good and while advancing exponentially it was doubling small numbers so not many people noticed. Now we must be at the knee of the curve so they are doubling big numbers and more people are noticing. Imagine what the 2020's will be like with this technology!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 08:03 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,476,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
"so early in its development"

I saw a 3-D printer at the San Diego Supercomputer Center back in the year 2000, back when there were only a few of them in the world. In those days, the center was letting other institutions print on its printer, since they didn't have one of their own.
I would still consider that VERY early in development.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
I would still consider that VERY early in development.
That is a good point and I think it shows how we are use change fast in todays world. However how fast this technology is developing is just amazing to me as it looks like they will be able to print any organ in less then 7 years. How will that change the medical community?

Imagine going go see the doctor then:

Well sir you sensor went off and according to our tests you will have a heart attack in 2 weeks. We have already got your stem cells and will print out the new heart and in 3 days you will have a brand new heart......

Old 03-18-2013, 10:42 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,164,998 times
"They" can already use them to print out organs and new skin.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM

15,924 posts, read 16,856,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Care to share your sources?

What I read is:

Quote:
Feb. 4, 2013 — A team of researchers from Scotland has used a novel 3D printing technique to arrange human embryonic stem cells (hESCs) for the very first time.

It is hoped that this breakthrough, which has been published Feb. 5 in the journal Biofabrication, will allow three-dimensional tissues and structures to be created using hESCs, which could, amongst other things, speed up and improve the process of drug testing.

In the field of biofabrication, great advances have been made in recent years towards fabricating three-dimensional tissues and organs by combining artificial solid structures and cells; however, in the majority of these studies, animal cells have been used to test the different printing methods which are used to produce the structures.
3-D printing breakthrough with human embryonic stem cells

Old 03-19-2013, 11:30 AM

Informative reading on the subject:

Drilling into 3D printing: Gimmick, revolution or spooks' nightmare?

Drilling into 3D printing: Gimmick, revolution or spooks' nightmare? ? The Register

Old 03-19-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Care to share your sources?

What I read is:

3-D printing breakthrough with human embryonic stem cells
That is interesting thanks.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Some organs but not all like the heart and lung and liver.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Some organs but not all like the heart and lung and liver.
Can you picture it in a couple of decades? Walk into a store:

Yeah, lemme have a pair of lungs a kidney and a larger penis.... to go please....

Old 03-20-2013, 08:16 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,476,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Can you picture it in a couple of decades? Walk into a store:

Yeah, lemme have a pair of lungs a kidney and a larger penis.... to go please....
"gah, a hangnail!" *chops whole finger off and screws on a new one*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology