Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:50 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times

Advertisements

NASA is building robots to 3D-print infrastructure on Mars (ScienceAlert)

Step one: Send robot/printer to Mars
Step two: Use local materials to print building components
Step three: Use robot to assemble
Step four: Go to Mars and move in to your preassembled structure

Very cool!

If something breaks, print yourself a new one.

This will be a huge step forward in our ability to leave our planet for long periods of time. We aren't there yet, but every step closer is great to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 02:38 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Exclamation 3D-printed vertebra used in world-first spine surgery

I just saw this in the news and its very cool so I decided to post it. Why I keep hearing that by 2020 all organs will be 3D printed.

During a recent five-hour operation, surgeons at a Peking University hospital in Beijing were able to remove a tumour located on the second vertebra of a 12-year-old cancer patient named Minghao and replace it with a 3D-printed part.
"This is the first use of a 3D-printed vertebra as an implant for orthopaedic spine surgery in the world," said one of the surgeons, Director of Orthopaedics at Peking University, Liu Zhongjun, in a statement to the press.

The link: 3D-printed vertebra used in world-first spine surgery (Science Alert)

Old 09-03-2014, 11:38 AM

504 posts, read 1,545,779 times
We have 3 of them for rapid prototyping parts and testing out new product designs. Something that was a lot more costly and time prohibitive in the past.

Also check this out:
3ders.org - 3D printer and 3D printing news, trends and resources.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:18 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
I heard that Home Depot will start selling them. Not sure it's true..

Old 09-03-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I heard that Home Depot will start selling them. Not sure it's true..
Google is your friend!

Home Depot begins selling 3-D printers

The link: Home Depot begins selling 3-D printers - LA Times

Old 10-02-2014, 11:52 PM

I don't think I posted this link yet.

3ders.org - 3D printer and 3D printing news, trends and resources.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:31 AM

Thumbs up Finally! A 3D printer I might buy

This is what I've been waiting for. I knew someone would figure it out, but I didn't expect to see it so soon.

Flux’s 3D Printer Is Also A Scanner, Laser Engraver And More Thanks to A Modular Design | TechCrunch

Old 04-24-2015, 12:42 PM

Exclamation New 3D bioprinter to reproduce human organs, change the face of healthcare

Big advancements in 3D printing.

Researchers are only steps away from bioprinting tissues and organs to solve a myriad of injuries and illnesses. TechRepublic has the inside story of the new product accelerating the process.

If you want to understand how close the medical community is to a quantum leap forward in 3D bioprinting, then you need to look at the work that one intern is doing this summer at the University of Louisville.

A team of doctors, researchers, technicians, and students at the Cardiovascular Innovation Institute (CII) on Muhammad Ali Boulevard in Louisville, Kentucky swarm around the BioAssembly Tool (BAT), a square black machine that's solid on the bottom and encased in glass on three sides on the top. There's a large stuffed animal bat sitting on the machine and a computer monitor on the side, showing magnified images of the biomaterial that the machine is printing.

The link: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...ampaign=buffer

Old 05-01-2015, 04:13 PM

Exclamation Soon, Your Doctor Could Print a Human Organ on Demand

More good news on the 3D printing front:

On the second floor of the Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine, not far from the elevator bank, is a collection of faded prints depicting great moments in medical history. In one, an ancient Babylonian pharmacist holds aloft a vial of medicine. Another shows the Greek physician Hippocrates tending to a patient in the fifth century B.C. The prints were doled out to doctors half a century ago by the pharmaceutical company Parke-Davis, which touted them as a historical highlight reel. But it’s not hard to read their presence at Wake Forest, home to perhaps the largest concentration of medical futurists on the planet, as the ultimate in-joke: Can you believe how far we’ve come?

Read more: History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian

Old 06-16-2015, 07:08 PM

Exclamation Gravity-defying 3D printer to print bridge over water in Amsterdam

3D printers keep advancing. Just think how this will impact employment?

The 3D-printed home has been accomplished -- and apparently the next step is something a little more structurally challenging. A 3D-printing company based in Amsterdam has developed a revolutionary, multi-axis robotic 3D printer that can "draw" structures in the air -- and it's planning to build a bridge over a canal in the heart of the city.

The link: http://www.cnet.com/news/gravity-def...-in-amsterdam/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology