U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 01:05 AM

5,070 posts, read 8,788,371 times

Advertisements

I figured that would be the main response,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 12:44 PM

27,043 posts, read 38,294,087 times
No surprise here, either. Between the wise acres that are because they couldn't understand the subject matter on their best day and the religious idiots that would refuse to even if they could I did not expect much of a thread to develop.

I see the OP for this forum is not ridding it of the religious garbage any more.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:01 PM

1,403 posts, read 3,059,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Having spoken to God recently - I asked him....."What's for super?" He replied..."Primordial soup".....I said - not again!.... seriously...the connection between geology and biology is slightly off the mark. The connection should be more simple than that. Static lifeless material becomes mobile living matter. It's kind of biblical. He took some clay from the ground and breathed life into it and it became a living being. The investigation into how this took place will be very interesting. Darwin disassemble creation to a degree in order to understand it. He came very close to figuring out what intelligent design really was. The same can be said of the SOUP...once we figure out the ingredients we can copy God and and eventually extract a microbe that did not exist from non-living matter....Go for it.
ah, the old irreducible complexity argument...how I missed thee!

Yes, if only we could break down the system into its base components then it will be fairly obvious that God is behind it, behind it all.

No matter that we we have successfully broken a many a system down, only to find no God there after all.

But I'm sure this system is different...this will finally be the one where God was involved!...said no scientist, ever.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:03 PM

4,670 posts, read 3,751,643 times
Default easier to just say "Oh god did it..now gimme money"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
No surprise here, either. Between the wise acres that are because they couldn't understand the subject matter on their best day and the religious idiots that would refuse to even if they could I did not expect much of a thread to develop.

I see the OP for this forum is not ridding it of the religious garbage any more.
And I came here hoping for more intellectual discourse, instead finding the petty reactionaries who niether understand nor have the mental capacity to care. Shame

Back to more interesting internet reading.
Optimal life-history schedule in a metapopulation with juvenile dispersal - Cotto - 2013 - Journal of Evolutionary Biology - Wiley Online Library

Old 05-01-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
And I came here hoping for more intellectual discourse, instead finding the petty reactionaries who niether understand nor have the mental capacity to care. Shame

Back to more interesting internet reading.
Optimal life-history schedule in a metapopulation with juvenile dispersal - Cotto - 2013 - Journal of Evolutionary Biology - Wiley Online Library
Fancy words. I noticed that in your immense intellectual capacity the most you could come up with is a link to a research paper that you have to either get through subscription or purchase for 24 hours.

Speaking of lack of intellectual discourse... Nice going Mr. Wizard.

Oh, and it's spelled neither.

Quote:
Options for accessing this content:

• If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
  • If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
  • Login via other institutional login options Wiley Online Library: Login Options.
  • You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
    • If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
    • New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 AM

Brian, I apologize, but I can't help it. How can anyone ignore it?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:15 AM

5,070 posts, read 8,788,371 times
Even my cat, who is in my lap, likes this.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:28 AM

4,670 posts, read 3,751,643 times
You mean you can't afford a subscription?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
You mean you can't afford a subscription?
Why should I bother when pretty much any information I need is free on the Internet. If you feel the need to spend money that's your choice.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:41 AM

1,403 posts, read 3,059,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Why should I bother when pretty much any information I need is free on the Internet.
...EXCEPT for the results of peer reviewed studies, which is what this falls under. Somehow the powers to be decided that this information is not free and you should pay to read it. Nevermind the research was most likely done through a grant using your tax dollars....you pay for it, but you don't get to read it. Nice, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology