U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 06:20 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,754,589 times

Advertisements

From VHS to DVD?

From DVD to Blu-Ray?

From film cameras to digital cameras?

From digital cameras to cell phone cameras (for most of your "everyday" pictures)?

...from camcorders to cell phone cameras?

From LP to tape?

From tape to CD?

From CD to MP3/other computer format?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,754,589 times
From VHS to DVD?

> I got my first DVD player in July 2001, but we didn't generally watch DVDs until 2002-3.

From DVD to Blu-Ray?

> Never

> I never had a film camera, other than a disposable camera. I received my first digital camera and was the only one out of my group of 70 in my school trip to Washington DC to have a digital camera - it was really amazing at the time. I upgraded to a "real" 3-megapixel digital camera for the Christmas of 2002.

From digital cameras to cell phone cameras (for most of your "everyday" pictures)?

> My first camera had a cell phone, but even now over half of my pictures and 90% of my serious ones are taken with my digital camera.

> More like "digital camera movie mode". Our family bought a VHS camcorder when I was about 7 in 1993, and we received another newer one from my grandpa in 1997, although that was used almost exclusively by me. The old one's battery finally died in 2004 and that was the end of home videos for us. The digital camera I got about three years later had a movie mode with sound; I used that for my movie needs. I also had a phone at the same time which probably took movies, but never used that. I use my EVO V 4G (EVO 3D) for most of my videos when I'm out and about.

From LP to tape?

> Never.

From tape to CD?

> When people my age first started listening to actual pop music around the 2nd - 3rd grade, cassette tapes were still commonplace. I was bought my first CD player as part of a component system in 1996 or 1997, but I was too embarrassed to share my music tastes (dance music) with my parents! I eventually caved in in 1999 and my first CD was "Jock Jams".

> I was mainly reliant on internet audio (usually in the form of 30-second MP2 samplers and 16 kbps Real Audio streams, RealVideo files downloaded from a music site) until late 1999, so I went "backwards" a little bit!

Old 04-23-2013, 06:53 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,467,976 times
From VHS to DVD? About 10-13 years ago

From DVD to Blu-Ray? Never

From film cameras to digital cameras? About 8 years ago

From digital cameras to cell phone cameras (for most of your "everyday" pictures)? About 4 years ago

...from camcorders to cell phone cameras? About 4 years ago

From LP to tape? Back in the 80s

From tape to CD? In the late 80s/early 90s

From CD to MP3/other computer format? still in transition

Old 04-23-2013, 09:49 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,463,566 times
Switched to DVD from VHS about 10-11 years ago (2002, I think it would've been).

Have no interest in Blu-Ray/don't really watch much TV anymore...I'm good with Netflix, though.

Pretty much always relied on disposable cameras and video camcorders for photographs/video prior to owning a cellphone with picture and video capability (since about 7-8 years ago). Got a digital camera about five years ago and promptly managed to ruin it.

I'm mostly part of the cassette/CD generation, so I pretty much never had to worry about a transition from LP to cassette tapes in the late 80s--LPs were pretty much gone, it seems, by the time I was really interested in music albums.

(And hey, I just remembered something: does anyone else remember sitting around next to the radio with a blank tape in the deck for recording songs off of a radio station? Horrible, lol).

I was kind of a Johnny-Come-Lately to CDs...I think I got my hands on a discman at some point in the mid-90s, so it would've been around that time when I transitioned.

I just got an Ipod last year and before that relied on my music downloads/CD-burning (you can also upload just about any song you could want on YouTube). In retrospect, I can't believe I put off that transition for so long.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:12 AM

2,364 posts, read 3,029,570 times
I switched to DVD Christmas of 1998 which was in the very beginning of the move to DVD's. It was just obviously a far better format/technology than VHS.

I did have a few LP's as a kid but never personally bought any. I got one of the Sony Walkman tape players soon after they first came out.

I switched to CD from cassette tapes Christmas 1983 when Michael Jackson's Thriller came out. I also got my first CD player at that time. It was a Technics single disc player that was state of the art at the time. It cost almost $400 and today you could probably get one for $30 with far more features. lol

I bought one of the first generation iPods when they first came out. I never bought a newer one since it wasn't long cell phones could do everything an ipod could do. Also, I am not one to walk around with ear buds in listening to music. I mostly used it in the car while going on trips to listen to my favorite music. As soon as car stereos started coming out with USB ports, I got one and have simply copied my music to a USB drive and kept it in my car ever since. All of my music is right there when I want it.

I have never adopted Blue Ray and have no plans to in the future. I completely skipped over that technology and went straight to a networked home entertainment system powered by my PC. I networked everything in my home in 2006. I have downloaded or streamed videos directly to the TV ever since and do not use any disc. I haven't even bought or rented a DVD since 2006.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:59 PM

10,543 posts, read 4,678,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
From VHS to DVD?
Only had DVD player for short while (maybe 2006-7), unless you count my eMac, which played cds & dvds-acquired that in 2004.
Still had cable tv then, so that's what I mostly watched instead.
Didn't buy dvd's, rented a few and was given a dvd by acquaintance: Spaced season 1, which I watched over 50x in one year.
Oops, my OCD is showing
Quote:
From DVD to Blu-Ray?
Haven't, not likely to bother, as I get all my tv from online now.
Quote:
Haven't either kind.
A couple times a year, I ask a friend (who owns digital camera) to take a few pictures for me, when needed.
Quote:
Haven't, bc. I don't have cell phone/portable device nor have I a digital camera.
Quote:
Never had either.
Quote:
From LP to tape?
Mid-1980's.
Quote:
From tape to CD?
Never switched, just bought several cds, but I still listened to my old mixtapes a lot more.
Bought my first CD in early 1990's.
Quote:
Since I never converted fully to cds, I'm (currently) in process of transferring (using Audacity) my audio cassettes into files on my computer's iTunes program,
so I can listen to & organize music from my old tapes (which I made off the radio, and either cannot find or cannot identify some of the tracks).

For songs I can identify & find online, I listen via free streaming (I don't download/purchase media from internet) on YT or Grooveshark-
which I was only able to do beginning last year, when I got DSL instead of dial-up.
So the short answer is: the present or near past, 2012-13

Old 04-27-2013, 06:14 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Never. When my toys stopped being supported, I just grew out of them and stopped playing with them.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:39 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,285,292 times
Quote:
From VHS to DVD?
Never really bought movies, first DVD player was on a computer. I do however have some very expensive VHS equipment for getting VHS to digital.

Quote:
From DVD to Blu-Ray?
First Blu-Ray player was a burner.

Quote:
Early part of the last decade when they were cheap enough and could compete with film. Actually had a early model that was 1MP but never really used it much,

Quote:
Never owned a cell phone, even when I was in the trucking business.

Quote:
Cell phones are toys for either video or pictures.

Quote:
From LP to tape?
Hmmm, I did have some LP's nd 45's but I was of the age both were available.

Quote:
From tape to CD?
Shortly after it came on the market.

Quote:
I rip my CD's but only for convenience, I'm reluctant to re rip the entire collection into a more modern format.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or