Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:54 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,361,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
they wont. the entire high tech world is fueled by massive amounts of spending.
when u shut off the green valve it all comes to a screaming stop.
It might seem that way but its not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 01:50 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,087,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
It might seem that way but its not.
i take it back
for most countries when they run out of money they stop spending but not here.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:42 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,361,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i take it back
for most countries when they run out of money they stop spending but not here.
Funny but again not true. If you study how information technology advances then you will realize it advances the same no matter how much or little public money is given. Why the trend did not go faster during the world wars when spending was at a all time high or drop during the Great Depression when spending was at a all time low.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:17 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,587,187 times
The future beckons like a maiden of infinite possibility. Imagine a device and soon it shall be…

Old 07-09-2015, 12:16 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,587,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Imagine a billion flashbulbs firing simultaneously every second of everyday. That, my dear friend, is how the singularity will feel when it is here: Bright and Dazzling.

I believe the technology will be shared when it is invented for a simple motivator: Money.

Have no fear, it shall be tested on apes first, more than likely…
Wow. I said THAT a few years ago? I'm dumbing down.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:41 AM

290 posts, read 257,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Just wont happen, not like that.

because, what you are saying, and maybe you dont know your saying it, is you want to be a god.

That is what the singularity will offer humans if we merge with our technology. And what makes you think the powers that be will want alot of gods around? Things will be regulated far before it gets too close.

and, the whole idea of the singularity is that it will happen all at once, in one place. one second its not there, the next it is. whether it be a computer AI or people merged with nano-brains, there will be an instant switch from something being as smart as a human to being more so.

And, i can tell you, if I were the first person in the world to become a god, I am not going to share that power with the rest of you. I barely trust myself with it, and sure as heck dont trust anyone else.
I have to disagree with the whole angle that technology will be regulated and kept to a few. We already have bitcoin, silk road etc. Someone will offer the technology for sale on the darknet or whatever the darknet equivalent is in 2030. I can't see technology being kept from normal civilians. For better or worse.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:37 PM

1,174 posts, read 929,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I think most of the things that I remember being predicted 20 or 30 years ago have come into fruition - communication mainly has become so much easier- televisual communication (skype etc) once a pipedream is now commonplace. I'm not sure how much further it can go really - we already have everything.

I think the biggest changes are going to be in how we use energy sources.
The thing I can see being developed is biofuels. I think in 30 years time, we won't be using diesel or petrol (or gasoline as you guys like to call it) but maybe filling up with a biofuel or maybe even plugging your car into a socket to recharge, at what was once a gas station.
I think we may possibly see a reduction in so much travelling by air too, unless they can get a handle on reducing the price of fuel or again developing more environmentally friendly alternatives.

Same with energy around the home. Hopefully energy sources such solar power will be in built to homes instead of being added as an afterthought.
With the technology we have today supersonic travel is way too costly for the public. But a supersonic plane running on biofuel, hydrogen, electric or say solar may replace jet fuels to lower the cost of supersonic travel.

I know they are doing research and experiments now on electric planes and solar planes now but it still not ready for a replacement of jet fuel.

May be in 10 years from now they will start phasing out jet fuel for say biofuel, hydrogen, electric or solar.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:06 AM

11 posts, read 7,483 times
The biggest impact in field of computer is going to be in field of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics. Elon Musk knows the potential of AI and that is why like others he is investing heavily in this area. Why Elon Musk Spent $10 Million To Keep Artificial Intelligence Friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology